Lt. Commander
Enemy Signal Contacts are a big annoyance. I understand the idea behind them and it does add a degree of unpredictability which is nice, but the problem is when I exit to sector and then the thing swallows me again, or a different one slams into me.

I don't know what the correct mechanic should be but I can tell you that as it stands the enemy signal contacts are totally annoying, and not fun when I just want to go afk to get some coffee or have a conversation with the vendor. Given that all we have to do is exit to sector, the net result of getting swallowed by one is having to hit a button, oh and zone twice. Weak, lame, and valueless.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2010, 08:15 PM
They sure are. For a time autopilot used to stear around them, but now its just its crazy. There needs to be a way of not being pulled in. It wouldn't be so bad, apart from when you get pulled into an encounter where there's a mass of mobs camping the spawn point.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
They're annoying, yeah, but I compare them to picking up aggro from some random mob in any other game. Check your radar to see where the enemy signal contacts are before you go check your vendors, and go AFK on your bridge.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Random encounters are sort of a staple of MMOs though, aren't they. This really is one of the few MMOs where you don't have to outrun mobs of creatures just to get to the next town.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetOfHats View Post
They're annoying, yeah, but I compare them to picking up aggro from some random mob in any other game. Check your radar to see where the enemy signal contacts are before you go check your vendors, and go AFK on your bridge.
Well actually it could be "realistic" to get caught in a combat while flying in sector space, but it doesn't work that way : you can leave the combat at once, turning it into a 2 loading screens experience. Definitely needs to be changed.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2010, 08:30 PM
It also prevents afking in sector space
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Most retarded mechanic ever.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTray View Post
It also prevents afking in sector space
No, it doesn't : actually it is afk friendly. Granted, I often leave the computer while my ship is in sector space, return to find my ship in a DS encounter. But as there is no death penalty in the game, even if my ship was destroyed 15 times while I was away, I don't give a damn and I just return to sector space.

There is no threat in this game : you can blow up 20 times in a row, no consequence. The only real penalty is the loading screens.