Lt. Commander
Hey Everyone,

Been playing the game since CB and as the game progressed to the LIVE version i began to suffer more frequent freezes (total freezes that require a manual restart) or the BSOD.

At first I thought it was the heat issue but Ive limited my FPS to 40 (keep watch of this with Fraps while I play) but I continue to get these issues. They will occur randomly in any type of the game; ground, space, load screen, etc etc.

I completely uninstalled the game and then reinstalled via steam (where I purchased) and yet I still get these problems.

I updated my GFX drivers and downloaded the current (though dated) sound drivers for my ON BOARD sound. I did have an Audigy that I used during CB, OB and Live. Today I tried my onboard sound to see if that was the problem. Since I just crashed again I can say that I dont think its a sound issue.

Here is a DXDiag of my system. Maybe someone can help me out with this. Thank you in advance.

http://pastebin.com/f60c44f5a
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 09:28 AM
*Bump*

Any help would be appreciated. I've seen other BSOD threads in here so if anyone has any insight into this issue or has had experience with BSOD with this game would be greatly appreciated. I would like to continue playing this game.

Thanks again.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZed View Post
*Bump*

Any help would be appreciated. I've seen other BSOD threads in here so if anyone has any insight into this issue or has had experience with BSOD with this game would be greatly appreciated. I would like to continue playing this game.

Thanks again.
I've just started to experiance the same thing, but only since this last patch.. it locks my machine up completely. Tried playing other games to see if it was a computer issue but 2 other games I can play fine without it locking up..
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2010, 10:26 AM
A BSOD is caused 99% of the time by bad hardware, drivers or a corrupt OS. Next time it BSOD's, try and grab the error message it outputs.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah me too. I don't get a bsod but, the game just up and quits to desktop while I'm in-game usually in a UI menu selecting a dialogue option. Then the game refuses to run again unless I reboot my system.

I played Champions just fine when it released and fallout 3, MW, and MW2 runs just peachy on my system. So the whole argument that it's our fault does not hold a lot of guff with me.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2010, 12:06 PM
I got few BSOD's in open beta and now my graphics card is dead. Using a substitute card now but on Monday i must replace it. Only happend AFTER i started playing STO. Bad coding perhaps.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Been playing the game since CB and as the game progressed to the LIVE version i began to suffer more frequent freezes (total freezes that require a manual restart) or the BSOD.

At first I thought it was the heat issue but Ive limited my FPS to 40 (keep watch of this with Fraps while I play) but I continue to get these issues. They will occur randomly in any type of the game; ground, space, load screen, etc etc.

I completely uninstalled the game and then reinstalled via steam (where I purchased) and yet I still get these problems.

I updated my GFX drivers and downloaded the current (though dated) sound drivers for my ON BOARD sound. I did have an Audigy that I used during CB, OB and Live. Today I tried my onboard sound to see if that was the problem. Since I just crashed again I can say that I dont think its a sound issue.

Here is a DXDiag of my system. Maybe someone can help me out with this. Thank you in advance.

http://pastebin.com/f60c44f5a
Big Zed i have the same system amost as you im not getting a BSOD but my system crashes after about 20 min of game play if you have found a fix plz let me know
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliel View Post
I got few BSOD's in open beta and now my graphics card is dead. Using a substitute card now but on Monday i must replace it. Only happend AFTER i started playing STO. Bad coding perhaps.
no. Just No. A game cant screw up your GPU. It was already faulty, and the processing STO needs basically finished it off, but the GPU was still faulty. Pure coincedence.

That gpu could have given out at any time at all, in any game, even if you were just on your windows desktop.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-13-2010, 05:26 PM
blaming the hardware is easy but when it happens to more then just one unlucky person it starts to be a game issue.

I just started the game and every time I enter the Bhea system to finish my patrol mission my screen goes black and my PC stops responding forcing me to restart my PC, and its not my graphics card or GPU becuase there both run any other game perfect
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwhemon View Post
blaming the hardware is easy but when it happens to more then just one unlucky person it starts to be a game issue.

I just started the game and every time I enter the Bhea system to finish my patrol mission my screen goes black and my PC stops responding forcing me to restart my PC, and its not my graphics card or GPU becuase there both run any other game perfect

Or when multiple players who dont know how to maintain their system get together, it looks worse than it is.

Modern day hardware ESPECIALLY 260's are designed to run at 100% for a very long time with the right configuration and cooling.

If he is getting blue screens when it's not at 100%, it is definitly a driver or hardware error. Period.

As a side note, STO is a lot more resource intensive than the likes of any single player game or WoW. But it STILL wont cause a Graphics card to overheat or a comp to shut down. Cryptic even added options ingame to help you with that as pure courtesy.

Go try a program called furmark. That pushes your GPU to the absolute max, then holds it there till it encounters errors. STO comes nowhere near that level of processing, so trying to say STO is causing the crashes is just futile.