02-13-2010, 06:37 PM
that implies that the hardware is old, my card is a brand new 9400 gt
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwhemon View Post
that implies that the hardware is old, my card is a brand new 9400 gt

That is old lol. and in no way meant for gaming at all. Thats not to say it wont work, but it is a terrible card for gaming. Even when it first came out a few years ago.

Theres a reason it was so cheap when you bought it. I wouldnt be surprised if it had ddr2 memory on it which makes it 10x worse. When it coems to Graphics cards, the general rule is, you get what you pay for.
When looking for an nvidia card, you need to take note of the second number. 6 and up are gaming cards, 5 and below are mainly for video playback and desktop processing.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-13-2010, 06:42 PM
it is way above the needs of this game and i had no problem running champions with an 8600 gts so you tell me whats wrong
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote:
it is way above the needs of this game and i had no problem running champions with an 8600 gts so you tell me whats wrong instead of just insulting us.

hate to tell you, but the minimum spec 7950 is more powerful than that card. just because you think its ahigher number, doesnt mean its above minimum spec. hell, my 4850HD which is the same age as a 9400 is more powerful than a 9800GT, which in turn is 2-3x more powerful than your card.

And im not insulting. Im sorry if telling you the truth appears that way.
As for the comment about champions, you can run this game on a 8600GTS as well,( which incedentally is betetr than your 9400) you wont get the best play experience because its a low end card, and the graphics in this game are pretty high quality, but it should work.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-13-2010, 06:47 PM
great, off to best buy then. only reason i got the 9400 was my 8600 crapped out
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Quote:
great, off to best buy then. only reason i got the 9400 was my 8600 crapped out

Spend a few extra bucks and get yourself a 9600 with DDR3 ram. It's twice as good as a 9400 and only a few dollars more. But make sure it has that ddr3 ram. Bestbuy will try to make you buy a 9600 with 1gb ram, but it will have ddr2 . a 9600 with 512 ddr3 would still be 2x better. Dont let them trick you, just because they want their comission.

If your lucky you might even find a 9800Gt 512 ddr3 for the same price range, which is an amazing card.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Hey guys,

Just an update; Played Left 4 Dead MAXED in every possible category and I had a constant 60FPS the whole time. Not only that but my GPU temps never went over 75 degrees Celsius. When I say I played L4D I mean i played the entire game with not one hiccup.

WIth STO i limit the game to 40fps and the game runs well higher then that as far as temps go.

I believe this is not a problem with my end as far as hardware goes. I will continue to try other games to see if I get freezing or BSOD. Might try Empire Total War during a battle phase with maxed settings. I remember in the past that with everything maxed it would give my GPU a test.

Also going back to the BSOD msg when I crash. I remember it saying something along the lines of "A calculation error occurred on the 2nd processor that cause windows to crash" I know that isn't exactly what was posted but its along those lines. Next time it happens i'll write it down.

Anyone else with experiences or suggestions would be great. I understand that it COULD still be a hardware issue but to chalk it up to a hardware issue right off the bat without considering other options IE: the games coding. Is a little premature. Especially since there are many threads on this issue or with the GPU running unexpectedly hot.

again thanks for the support on this issue, hope we can figure this out together.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZed View Post
Hey guys,

Just an update; Played Left 4 Dead MAXED in every possible category and I had a constant 60FPS the whole time. Not only that but my GPU temps never went over 75 degrees Celsius. When I say I played L4D I mean i played the entire game with not one hiccup.

WIth STO i limit the game to 40fps and the game runs well higher then that as far as temps go.

I believe this is not a problem with my end as far as hardware goes. I will continue to try other games to see if I get freezing or BSOD. Might try Empire Total War during a battle phase with maxed settings. I remember in the past that with everything maxed it would give my GPU a test.

Also going back to the BSOD msg when I crash. I remember it saying something along the lines of "A calculation error occurred on the 2nd processor that cause windows to crash" I know that isn't exactly what was posted but its along those lines. Next time it happens i'll write it down.

Anyone else with experiences or suggestions would be great. I understand that it COULD still be a hardware issue but to chalk it up to a hardware issue right off the bat without considering other options IE: the games coding. Is a little premature. Especially since there are many threads on this issue or with the GPU running unexpectedly hot.

again thanks for the support on this issue, hope we can figure this out together.
Yeah, "a secondary processor failed to provide an interrupt in the required time" or something like that. I find it really hard to believe that it's a problem with the hardware and drivers when no other game I've ever played has caused it--except for the beta of Champions Online. I'm not convinced the low-level coding in this game is up to par. (I've been a professional programmer for 30 years; I've even written games [not this one, of course].) Somewhere there's a return value not being checked, or a critical timing issue being skipped.

In my case, I start getting heavily phased audio before it crashes, but the last patch caused it within about 10 minutes of playing with no warning beforehand. I'd barely dispatched the two D7's in Past Imperfect when the thing seized up and then tossed me a BSOD.

This also calls out that it's a problem with the code, not with the hardware and drivers--the lack of consistent behavior depending on which patch one runs.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Hey guys,

Second Update; I took Tedgp123's advice on Furmark. Ran the "stability test" option and my card ran for over an hour at 86 degrees celsius the entire time. Averaged 44fps and maxed out at 60fps (im assuming bc of my monitor). I cancelled the test after an hour due to extreme boredom but either way the GPU was handling it with no problems what so ever. I had selected AAx4 and the res was 1680x1050.

Very little noise coming from my Vid card also. Ive used EVGA precision and maxed the fan one time...it gets loud then but during the tests it never even came close to that sound. Vid car was just puring along.

I'm really starting to believe this not a hardware issue for me. I will however continue to test my system in different ways. I also suggest to anyone with this problem to do the same. Tomorrow I'll probably run the stress test using Furmark just to be sure. Im not going to do it tonight as its 2250 hours here (I'm EST)

Keep this thread going, it's being productive for myself and others it seems. I love this game and I want to play it!! One way or another we'll help to get to the bottom of this!
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post

That is old lol. and in no way meant for gaming at all. Thats not to say it wont work, but it is a terrible card for gaming. Even when it first came out a few years ago.

Theres a reason it was so cheap when you bought it. I wouldnt be surprised if it had ddr2 memory on it which makes it 10x worse. When it coems to Graphics cards, the general rule is, you get what you pay for.
When looking for an nvidia card, you need to take note of the second number. 6 and up are gaming cards, 5 and below are mainly for video playback and desktop processing.
Is the GT 220 a good card?