Lt. Commander
# 1 Lousy Game
02-12-2010, 08:40 PM
My official summary of STO after 2 weeks of game play. For what its worth.

1. Awesome Eye candy. Best I've ever seen. From character creation to Ship battles, and ground battles. Very well done. It looks great! Kudos stop there.

2. No Puzzles, No mytseries, or logical challenge. Scan shoot, scan shoot. Ensighns will play the same missions as Admirals, only differant eye candy.

3. Poor Arcade Action. Ground battles lack strategey control and the AI Oficers to easily get lost, stuck on terrain, or take their own actions before you can issue orders. It's like hearding cats. Space Battles are much better on Strategy as far as manuvering but a Star ships have many systems that can be dammaged other than just sheilds and hull. What about targeting engines to slow them down, or targeting the hull to dammage crew, or how about self destruct in dire situations? Those was tried and done in many ST episodes.

4. Non-existant player grouping. You have to go out of game to get into a player group. Go to the Forums find a post for a group, download the proper 3rd party voice product and sert that up, regerster on that groups web site, go through an interviiwe proccess, and by the time youre acepted into their group those players are 5 levels above you so you can't play with them, but they can boast about their group numbers.

5. No secret doors, or random enemys , no reason to play any particular mission again. Scan Shoot...Scan shoot.

Poor Arcade Action. No Logical Challenge, No social Grouping. No Randon spawns. Repetitive missions. Worst MMO I've ever seen. What a damm shame, I was soo looking forward to this game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Cool story bro!
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-12-2010, 08:41 PM
As a Klingon, I've been hoping for more active fed players, which we need to level, but i've waited 10 minutes for one cracked planet, played and won, waited another 10 minutes for another cracked planet and the feds never showed. 20 minutes of quality game-play? Okay.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cik View Post
As a Klingon, I've been hoping for more active fed players, which we need to level, but i've waited 10 minutes for one cracked planet, played and won, waited another 10 minutes for another cracked planet and the feds never showed. 20 minutes of quality game-play? Okay.
The Feds are leveling up with missions right now.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Can't really blame Feds for not wanting to pvp when there are other options to level.

I played Klingon in OB and was going to level my Klingon first but decided I wanted to do the pve content after about 16 on my Klingon in live.

Pvp is just painful. Unless you are flying a cruiser you get gangbanged at the opening of every fight and unless you have a pre-made team you probably aren't getting help, the other feds are just going to try and get a kill in.

Not going in to the "cloak is overpowered debate" but just as far as the fun factor it is just way more fun to play pvp as a Klingon when even a pug can set up a tactic or two easily.

Back to the OP.... the game is certainly missing some aspect of exploration and puzzles. On the flip side though the missions and gameplay are not that different than any other MMO, but that means there is also nothing that really stands out other than the Star Trek IP. They really need to get in more missions like the one where you rescue Miral Paris and put some intrigue into the Eudine storyline (which is neat, but feels like you aren't making any choices).
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2010, 09:32 PM
Quote:
yea well were all playing our content, hang on when were done we will be there to whip you to.

i don't look forward to the 45 day patch because we fed players know that the klingons are going to pull the same thing on us.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondoXP
My official summary of STO after 2 weeks of game play. For what its worth.

1. Awesome Eye candy. Best I've ever seen. From character creation to Ship battles, and ground battles.
Yep. For an MMO that is, it's pretty good.

Quote:
2. No Puzzles, No mytseries, or logical challenge. Scan shoot, scan shoot. Ensighns will play the same missions as Admirals, only differant eye candy.
This is a major problem of mine - in fact it's one of the things that is overwhelmingly preventing me from subscribing for more than a month at a time, because there will be no replay value once I hit Admiral.

Quote:
3. Poor Arcade Action. Ground battles lack strategey control and the AI Oficers to easily get lost, stuck on terrain, or take their own actions before you can issue orders. It's like hearding cats. Space Battles are much better on Strategy as far as manuvering but a Star ships have many systems that can be dammaged other than just sheilds and hull. What about targeting engines to slow them down, or targeting the hull to dammage crew, or how about self destruct in dire situations? Those was tried and done in many ST episodes.
Yep, yep, and yep.

Quote:
4. Non-existant player grouping. You have to go out of game to get into a player group. Go to the Forums find a post for a group, download the proper 3rd party voice product and sert that up, regerster on that groups web site, go through an interviiwe proccess, and by the time youre acepted into their group those players are 5 levels above you so you can't play with them, but they can boast about their group numbers.
This hasn't relly been that much of a problem for me, though the player grouping system is definitely buggy and flawed in some ways.

Quote:
5. No secret doors, or random enemys , no reason to play any particular mission again. Scan Shoot...Scan shoot.
WANT. 'nuff said.

Quote:
Poor Arcade Action. No Logical Challenge, No social Grouping. No Randon spawns. Repetitive missions. Worst MMO I've ever seen. What a damm shame, I was soo looking forward to this game.
I dunno about *worst* MMO, yet, but then, I'm not a connoisseur, gourmand or even really a fan of MMO's - as a class they tend to bore me pretty quickly with a lack of content and entertainment. However, this game definitely needs more than space combat with Star Trek's IP tacked on top if it is going to survive.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2010, 10:29 PM
100% agree with the OP.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Quote:
many dont go into cracked planet since all it is is a fed shooting gallery.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Personally since they bought the 40 points thing into ground PvP I've stayed away from it. Takes way too long now, as for space not really my thing so i stay away from it cloaked klingons are too annoying to find. This game is lousy at the moment because frankly it's not finished. It's close and with the content patch coming up we'll have the proper game, so before judging it wait til the content comes. If it's still crap after that then fair enough, until then show some patience.