Lt. Commander
Ok I have a few questions that I can't seem to figure out.. maybe someone can help me out.. Please note I am NOT new to MMORPGs. I am not unintelligent concerning PCs etc etc.

1A. The Chat System..
now aside from typing your message and hitting enter, I am totally lost here. Are character names AND account names shown? is that what I am seeing? Also everything comes across from zone 21 or 12 or 9473289 etc etc. What zone is where? I mean I have no clue who is typing from where. Can someone please explain?
1B. Emotes
I know there are some set ones in game.. but is there a list? also is there anyway to perform custom ones? like (for the WoW people) say /em says hello! or something so it says "so-and-so says hello!"

2. Names
There are like 5 different fields to input names. You get your name, then your first last and middle and then main name. What is displayed when? Say I wanted my name to be displayed as "BillyBob".. which name field would you fill this out in to be displayed to other players? If you enter in a first, middle and last name, is that whole thing displayed to people all the time or just when they examine you or?

3. Bridge
As a captain i hate to ask this but how do you get to your bridge? is there a way to actually move around on it? I have yet to see any way to interact with it or bring it up.

4. Skills etc
Is there a site somewhere that explains the skills in detail? For instance.. a skill might give a + to ground str damage or something.. or what is ground strength damage and how does it come into play? get me? I can read the skill descriptions but often i just don't get what they mean. Is this explained a bit better anywhere?

5. Char slots
Ok so we get 2 character slots... from what I hear you can purchase another one from the in game store or whatever.. does this use real money or in game currency? Is it like this for everything from the store? everything uses cash or game credits? or ? generally, how does the store work?

6. Bridge crew
Orders? I keep seeing thigns saying to issue orders but can't figure out how. What am I not seeing and/or missing?
can you have more then 4 or whatever? so you can pick and choose or are you limited to X amount?

7. single player or MP?
so I am confused as to what is singled out for dingle players and whats MP. It seems like i go on a mission and parts of it are over loaded with people, and other parts of it just has me alone. Any way to tell what is a group mission and what is a single mission?

8. lastly.. stuff..
any way to tell what stuff is garbage (vendor food) and what is good to sell to someone else? Also are there bags or anything to increase space at all?

I know this is a lot of questions and I'm sorry, I am trying to understand as i go but i play late night / early morning and that seems to be when the server is down so i am limited in my learning time.

Any help or links to sites dedicated to this stuff etc etc would be of great help.

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Disclaimer: I could be wrong about all or any part of this...

1A. When someone says something they will have part1@part2 the part1 is the name of there char in the game that is displayed to everyone, part2 is the name they entered on the website when making the account. I think this is to help ppl have the in game name they want as no one can be ur in game name @ ur website name u can both have the same in game name before the @. Example: Peter@Apples, Peter@Bananas could both be on the server without an issue.
I donít know this for sure but the way I understand the zones chat is that there is a sector block ĎZoneí and within this zone there are subzones to disperse the load of the server. So lets say that on the galaxy map there are a total of 15 sector block u can go to, each sector block is 1 large zone independent of each other. If u warp to a sector block u join the chat for that over all zone. However within that zone there are many instances created on the server, if u go to the map and click the button at the bottom called Ďchange instanceí u should get a better understand of what I mean. I think the max any 1 instance can take is 50 but that is irrelevant to my explanation. The overall zone is managed into bite size chunks so we all donít see 500 players in 1 location but so we can all talk to each other when in the over all zone the chats of each sub-zone (or instance) are linked so we can all talk to each other. This is why it says zone12, zone2 etcÖ

1B. I donít know about custom emotes but on ur chat window at the bottom right is a small icon I think it looks like a minimalistic outline of a person, if u click that a menu system will appear and among a number of options is emotes mouse over that and a list will appear of what u can do, just on the one u want. I think u can type them all in the chat window as well like /dance but Iím not an emote person so have never tried them.

2. The First middle and last names are not shown to others in general passing, only if they click ur info button will they see ur full name and bio if u put one in. The name box that is on its own is what is shown to others. The way I think of it is like a nick name. Ur name could be David James Anderson, but ur nick could be DJA or Dave etc.

3. Where ur mini map is on the right side of it is a few little icons there is a down arrow icon bottom right click that brings down a drop list, visit bridge is there.

4. I donít think there is one universally complete site yet that has it all but there are many forum posts with good bits of info and some external sites that are helpful if not yet complete.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=106472 (Scroll down a little bit for the index)
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=88822
http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=88819
http://sto-builder.binarybit.ch/
http://sto-intel.org/

5. Really useful stuff in the game will generally never be brought with energy, in game items like cool shields will use a token of some sort and stuff like the purchasing of a new species to play or extra slots will always be paid for in real life money from the c-store, see the drop down list on the mini map for that too.

6. The bridge crew work differently on ground and space. On the ground if u select them to beam down with u on an away mission they will be part of ur auto group on the left side of ur screen. Within this frame at the top of it will be little icons u use these to issues general orders to everyone, within each officers frame will be the same icons which will override the groups orders just for that individual officer and are usually toggled commands. Within the individual frames there will also be some large icons these icons are the abilities this officer has for use and will auto use them during the course of a fight but if u click them u can make them use them as well.

6. In space the bridge officers are not as active visually they are on ur ship and u just get to see ur ship and the end result of there actions externally. If u press p when in space (or ground for that matter) u will see what abilities u have access to and in space ur officers abilities are mixed in with ur own and u need to position them on ur tool bar where and how u like to use them, usually tho they are automatically placed somewhere when ur officer acquires them anyways.

7. I could be wrong about this as I donít intend to learn more about multiplayer side of the game till I have max lvl. But they way I understand it is that there are missions and there are fleet actions. Missions u can do solo and multiplayer, fleet actions u can attempt to do them solo but will generally fail or take hours on ur own so are considered multiplayer only. Then there is pvp which I think is separate thing altogether which I have not bothered with yet at all so not to sure on, I think it has something to do with klingons.

8. The stuff u collect most of it will be useless to u and atm there is little point in trying to sell it to another player as prices are stupid cus no one knows what to pay for anything yet and everyone is getting the same type of stuff so nothing stands out as truly rare yet and the few that do u wont be able to afford anyways. So just use it if u can or sell it and collect the energy in case u need to buy something later.

I hope at least some of this was helpful and Iím hopeful most of it is right too.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Tarl
Ok I have a few questions that I can't seem to figure out.. maybe someone can help me out.. Please note I am NOT new to MMORPGs. I am not unintelligent concerning PCs etc etc.

1A. The Chat System..
now aside from typing your message and hitting enter, I am totally lost here. Are character names AND account names shown? is that what I am seeing?
correct what your seeing is the players name and their forum name shown as [player name]@[forum name] there is a toggle to disable account names if you rightclick the chat bar and select options iirc
Quote:
Also everything comes across from zone 21 or 12 or 9473289 etc etc. What zone is where? I mean I have no clue who is typing from where. Can someone please explain?
all the chat your seeing comes from the region your in.
each region is spread accross several servers take as an exaple starbase 1 at any time it could be shared by 50 servers or instances each server or instance contains about 40 players who are all be in the same area as you but you wont see them but can see their chat

the #number you see is the instance or server number the players are currently in you can talk to them and they could be standing in the exact same room as you but you wont see them because theyre on a different server

Quote:
1B. Emotes
I know there are some set ones in game.. but is there a list? also is there anyway to perform custom ones? like (for the WoW people) say /em says hello! or something so it says "so-and-so says hello!"
you can see a list of the emotes by clicking the little icon to the right of the chat bar and selecting emoted

you can use /em /e /emote followed by the emote name to play the emote ie /em [emote]
or select the emote
you can also use your own emotes in the same way as WoW
/em says hello will produce the message [yourname] says hello in the chat window

Quote:
2. Names
There are like 5 different fields to input names. You get your name, then your first last and middle and then main name. What is displayed when? Say I wanted my name to be displayed as "BillyBob".. which name field would you fill this out in to be displayed to other players? If you enter in a first, middle and last name, is that whole thing displayed to people all the time or just when they examine you or?
when creating a new character the fields are
Name field is the name that is displayed ingame as your player name - or nick name

ships name this is the name your giving to the first star ship you fly ingame - you can change this ingame

next you have 3 fields for a first name, middle name and surname these are the real name of your character.
the real name is only displayed in the character bio unless you choose to enter one of these 3 names as your nick name bio
as an example dr McCoy aka bones would be
Name = Bones
Ship name = Enterprise
First Name = Leonard, Middle H?, Last Name = McCoy
Quote:
3. Bridge
As a captain i hate to ask this but how do you get to your bridge? is there a way to actually move around on it? I have yet to see any way to interact with it or bring it up.
click the down arrow next to the minimap/radara in most areas and you will see an option to visit bridge
you can walk arround and sit in the chars and invite guests to your bridge but other than that its limited ATM
Quote:
4. Skills etc
Is there a site somewhere that explains the skills in detail? For instance.. a skill might give a + to ground str damage or something.. or what is ground strength damage and how does it come into play? get me? I can read the skill descriptions but often i just don't get what they mean. Is this explained a bit better anywhere?
havent seen anything specific to this yet but try the STO wiki
http://stowiki.org/wiki/Main_Page
Quote:
5. Char slots
Ok so we get 2 character slots... from what I hear you can purchase another one from the in game store or whatever.. does this use real money or in game currency?
basic accounts get 2 federation character slots then once you reach level6 (or 5?) you will unlock another slot you can use to create a klingon PvP toon or federation if you prefer
Quote:
Is it like this for everything from the store? everything uses cash or game credits? or ? generally, how does the store work?
atm you cant buy extra slots but you will be able to buy more slots at a later date once the c-store is up and running

extra slots will be buyable from the c-store with cryptic points, buyable the same as champtions online for $$$ or iirc lots of ingame credits
Quote:
6. Bridge crew
Orders? I keep seeing thigns saying to issue orders but can't figure out how. What am I not seeing and/or missing?
can you have more then 4 or whatever? so you can pick and choose or are you limited to X amount?
on ground missions theres a series of icons above your bridge officers to give basic orders and 1 skill icon next to the BOff for their skill
on space missions you will see their face appear allong the bottom of the UI with the skill each has
Quote:
7. single player or MP?
so I am confused as to what is singled out for dingle players and whats MP. It seems like i go on a mission and parts of it are over loaded with people, and other parts of it just has me alone. Any way to tell what is a group mission and what is a single mission?
any mission can be played as a solo mission by selecting the icon to the right of the chat bar and select grouping other than the grouping option ive seen nothing that identifys solo quests from group quests yet.. but tbh ive not realy looked :p
Quote:
8. lastly.. stuff..
any way to tell what stuff is garbage (vendor food) and what is good to sell to someone else? Also are there bags or anything to increase space at all?
havent seen any garbage or vendor trash loot drops all loot is of use to somebody but selling it another player may be the challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Tarl
4. Skills etc
You might find the Character Basics link in my sig to be useful - it also touches on some of the other questions you have.

Hope it helps.