Lt. Commander
# 41
02-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie223
About the spawn camping. Please remember this is PvP. We have one rule : if it is not against the TOS it is allowed. Period. Not if, when, then, because or I think. Just plain old period.
That is why I placed it in the Etiquette section, at least until some in-game mechanism is in place to cut down on this. If you wish to drive away your competition, and make a reputation for your and your team's handles (such that anyone seeing them will simply leave the zone and deprive you of skillpoints/badges), then that is your choice.

Updated the Etiquette section accordingly. Thank you for your feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
would you like to be spawn camped when you enter the game? golden rule here, that and common sense no one wants to be spawncamped
PvP is always the lowest common denominator. I've spawncamped and I've been spawncamped. There will be too many people to impose unwritten rules. That is carebear thinking, honestly. I don't complain when it happens to me, and I don't listen to complaints when I do it myself. If you want it, ask the devs to code it : make safe span areas with one way doors., hold the spawns until every team is full, whatever. If you don't want it to happen to you under the current system, don't play PvP. Feds don't have to.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
That is why I placed it in the Etiquette section, at least until some in-game mechanism is in place to cut down on this. If you wish to drive away your competition, and make a reputation for your and your team's handles (such that anyone seeing them will simply leave the zone and deprive you of skillpoints/badges), then that is your choice.

Updated the Etiquette section accordingly. Thank you for your feedback.
...drive away the competition?
Make a reputation for me and my 'team'?

Oh boy. You are actually PLAYING this game, right? I mean, you didn't put the guide together from other peoples experiences alone, did you? You've been listening to zone chat, joining pickup team after pickup team? Getting in the mud and hearing people lose it? Joining teams where no one speaks a single word, ever? Climbing into a zone and having to fight your way out of a spawncamp, or seeing new teammates zone in, and just suicide rush nonstop blowing a few peoples careful play? Any of that sound familiar to you at all?
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-17-2010, 03:26 AM
Quote:
There will be too many people to impose unwritten rules. That is carebear thinking, honestly. I don't complain when it happens to me, and I don't listen to complaints when I do it myself. If you want it, ask the devs to code it : make safe span areas with one way doors., hold the spawns until every team is full, whatever. If you don't want it to happen to you under the current system, don't play PvP. Feds don't have to.
'Carebear thinking' or common courtesy? You decide!

I have re-worded the Etiquette section to be mindful that some players do feel that spawn camping is a viable tactic while game mechanics allow it.

I have also included the comment about asking the DEVs to make spawn camping impossible.

Thank you for your 'sanity check' feedback.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-17-2010, 03:49 AM
Quote:
PvP is always the lowest common denominator. I've spawncamped and I've been spawncamped. There will be too many people to impose unwritten rules. That is carebear thinking, honestly. I don't complain when it happens to me, and I don't listen to complaints when I do it myself. If you want it, ask the devs to code it : make safe span areas with one way doors., hold the spawns until every team is full, whatever. If you don't want it to happen to you under the current system, don't play PvP. Feds don't have to.
Congratulations kiddo. You've just managed to make yourself a reputation AS the lowest common denominator. Some of us hold to higher standards, and don't feel that we have to be *******s just because we see someone else being one.
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-17-2010, 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlfricDraka View Post
Congratulations kiddo. You've just managed to make yourself a reputation AS the lowest common denominator. Some of us hold to higher standards, and don't feel that we have to be *******s just because we see someone else being one.
The thing is when my team flys to the fed spawn, and there is 3 feds there, we start shooting them and what should i do ? its 3 vs 4 , i am a team player so i join my team.

And many times there has been situtations where there is 2-3 Feds at the gate and Klinks have engaged with 0 weapon power, and instantly upon decloaking the feds have gotten full team and then its 2 seconds and its 5vs the trigger happy klinks.

Thats one reason i follow my team, even if they go to direct spawn assault.
Lt. Commander
# 47
02-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Joined my 1st pvp match tonight and I just got to say it feels like WoW pvp with all the elitist people!

I asked the question in zone chat "So do we just wait for more to show up or are the Klingons all cloaked waiting somewhere?" And I get promptly called a dic from some guy named LOKI. Then he tells me that it's because of people like me why people are crying about the feds on the forums! (Which I didn't understand one bit!)
I just don't get why people in PVP HAVE to think they are better than everyone else. And they can't remember the face that they started out as a "noob". Some people really have issues!

I understand people brag, have fun, ECT. and thatís cool! But to act like a total douchebag just isn't fun for anyone but you. And that's one reason why they make an Ignore button!
For those of you players who just like to go in and work as a team and have fun without jumping on other people for their "noobness", I thank you!

I'll go back to pvp someday, and especially after reading this guide! Thanks for your hard work and posting this up for us "noobs" to read!

Well this is the PVP thread, so I am pretty sure Iíll get flamed for this. And hopefully LOKI will read this and have some more words of encouragement!
Lt. Commander
# 48
02-17-2010, 04:17 AM
FYI I agree with what I believe to be the underlying message in Ozzie223's posts. The wording leaves something to be desired, but what I gleaned was:

Blame the game, not the players. If the game allows you to spawn camp, tell the DEVs to change it.

In the meantime, spawn camping will still cause people grief. On the other hand, the more people that complain about it, the more likely the DEVs will fix it.

And that key point -- complaining to the DEVs about a broken mechanic -- was missing from the guide.

So thank you once again for the feedback from a more realistic (customer's) point-of-view.
Lt. Commander
# 49
02-17-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlfricDraka View Post
I have had it done to me 10 times more by feds than I have done it myself. I'm telling you what I am observing and experiencing. That you emotionally find hard to understand, is not my problem. Realizing "white mage' prima donnas might have transitioned to STO from thier other MMO's, I will try and be tolerant and let you get up to speed.
Lt. Commander
# 50
02-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
'Carebear thinking' or common courtesy? You decide!

I have re-worded the Etiquette section to be mindful that some players do feel that spawn camping is a viable tactic while game mechanics allow it.

I have also included the comment about asking the DEVs to make spawn camping impossible.

Thank you for your 'sanity check' feedback.
QFT

I Love PvP. The devs create a sandbox, and the humans search out every corner for advantage. The system IS the limits, and you operate in those limits. Everyone has the same rules : beat your fellow man, or fail, adapt, learn and try again. This isn't real war, we don't need a prohibition on chemical weapons, fight in the system (TOS is in that system) and win, fail or flee. The OP correctly observes the DEVs define the sandbox, and the TOS, really. I don't want to derail the OP's excellent guide thread with an argument about the implementation of PvP : if you want to argue with me please PM me, I will respond at least once.

Yes, I lack sensitivity and accomodation. The words are rough and beg to be taken out of context. That is PvP. I don't care about you. Nothing personal.