Lt. Commander
# 1 Big Question!! Need Answer!!
02-13-2010, 07:43 AM
Hi guys,

Got a quick question. As you might have guessed, I have the install disk and have set up an account.

My brother has seen me playing and decided he wants a go!
AND I AM NOT LETTING HIM USE MY ACCOUNT!!!!!

So I was just wondering if i can install the game to his pc using my disk, and then can he start an account (obviously without the 30 days free) without a new retail key.

He will obviously be paying for a subscrition from day one!! So CRYPTIC and ATARI aren't really loosing alot of money here!!

In my eyes, this should be ok!!
But it is if CRYPTIC see it that way??
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 07:46 AM
You need a serial code for each account. You can use the disk to install the software, but you will have to buy a second serial code to activate a second account.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2010, 07:48 AM
You NEED a retail key in order to start subscription.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagger1992 View Post
Hi guys,

Got a quick question. As you might have guessed, I have the install disk and have set up an account.

My brother has seen me playing and decided he wants a go!
AND I AM NOT LETTING HIM USE MY ACCOUNT!!!!!

So I was just wondering if i can install the game to his pc using my disk, and then can he start an account (obviously without the 30 days free) without a new retail key.

He will obviously be paying for a subscrition from day one!! So CRYPTIC and ATARI aren't really loosing alot of money here!!

In my eyes, this should be ok!!
But it is if CRYPTIC see it that way??
CRYPTIC doesn't care where you get the client from. Hell, there's a download link on this very wite for the client. Multiple, in fact, with a torrent available as well.

You need a RETAIL KEY to establish a account - and those only come in botht he retail boxes and the digital download commercial versions. That's the important bit - like most MMOs, you need the key to create the new account in the first place.

That's one of the advantages to the retail boxed sets - available trial keys (it's also how so many spammer accounts get created).

So, you can drop your attempted dig at Cryptic - you can use whatever means you want to install the client. It's the RETAIL KEY you need to pay money for...regardless of how the client's installed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
So, you can drop your attempted dig at Cryptic
I wasn't trying to have a dig at CRYPTIC!!

I was just asking if it was possible (And by the looks of things, I have my answer)

Think you are just looking for someone to have a Go at mate and it aint working
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagger1992 View Post
I wasn't trying to have a dig at CRYPTIC!!

I was just asking if it was possible (And by the looks of things, I have my answer)

Think you are just looking for someone to have a Go at mate and it aint working
The way you wrote your OP it sounded like you wanted a excuse to rip Cryptic.

"Most" MMOs dont' care how you got the client, as it's useless without a retail key. Only one I've ever heard of that doesn't need a key is EvE - the key in their set just gives you some in-game bennies.

SO, asking if Cryptic cares with a DOWNLOAD LINK ON TIIS VERY SITE is basically ASKING to be flamed, as how "much they care" should be self-evident.

Given that bit of knowledge (which is simply gotten by going to the menus on the main site, selecting Support, then Download) there wasn't really a need for your post at all, and it's snarky manner made it look alike you were begging a excuse to rip on Cryptic.

So, "mate" - if I was you I'd check your phrasing a bit, or not emphasize CRYPTIC so much. If I really wanted to rip ya, believe you me I would with no regrets whatsoever - all I did was tell you how your post read to me. Deal witht hat as you wish - some will take it as feedback on posting style, others will completely blow it off. Up to you, which you do.