Lt. Commander
# 31
02-17-2010, 10:31 AM
You still don't see the point. Try running your copy of STO at 1920x1200 resolution with everything turned up.

You can't.

Why can't you? It won't be your CPU or RAM thats holding it back. It's the low end GPU that's been coupled with them. It's holding back the other components because it's a card designed for "media center" PC's, not for gaming. There's no point in the i7 CPU in your PC - a cheaper Core 2 duo would give you the same performance.

You just don't like someone pointing out that although you've got "30 years experience in computing", you've gone out, bought an off the shelf PC and someone's pointed out that it's not quite as good as you thought it was.

Christ, there's even integrated graphic options that are more powerful than your card and some PC companies are now offering the GT 220 card as an additional Physx only card - how long before the OEM GT230 takes that dubious honor?

And FYI - I'm 32, married, own house (mortgage paid), in full time employment and have a lovely hairy chest.

PS - I've never heard of a "Affa Romeo" or a "Farari"
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Darian, I dont want to offend you but I cant find the GT 230 anywhere, is it a GT 230M?
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-17-2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuggan
Darian, I dont want to offend you but I cant find the GT 230 anywhere, is it a GT 230M?
Nope, he's got a genuine GT 230 - http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-97...rce-GT230.html

It looks like Nvidia didn't advertise the fact that they were rebranding old 9600 GSo's so people would unwittingly buy an old mid range GPU thinking it was new tech.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-17-2010, 11:48 AM
I managed to find the card, it's classed as a Entry-Level card, meaning you might be able to play games with it, but the fillrate is really poor. I have noticed that many of the big chains, like El-Giganten, OnOff, Mediamarket and more are selling machines with Core i7 and that card for obscene amounts of money. I would call it a scam, as the card have such poor fillrates that even if you got 3 of the same card to run a 3-way SLI it would still be worse than a single GTX 260 card.

I just read about another guy that bought a similar system but with 2x GT 230 1.5GB in SLI for 2000$ USD from one of the big "cheap" chains. All his parts consisted of the cheapest available part. It might look great on paper for an untrained eye, but having some knowledge about computer parts there are certain brands that have best quality components. There is always a catch when something is cheap, there is no exceptions.

Hopefully you can afford to get a better card, you would notice a tremendous difference when playing games. You dont need to go for the best of the best, the GTX 260 should be able to give you enough power to run STO, not on highest settings tho but you would get some eyecandy atleast. Or even better, wait for the high-end cards in the 300-series, they have released the entry-level and mid-range cards so far, the high-end is coming out soon.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splyce View Post
Nope, he's got a genuine GT 230 - http://xtreview.com/addcomment-id-97...rce-GT230.html

It looks like Nvidia didn't advertise the fact that they were rebranding old 9600 GSo's so people would unwittingly buy an old mid range GPU thinking it was new tech.
Yes I noticed that, it makes me sad that any company would scam people by telling them this card is amongst the 5 best cards on the market from that manufacturer. It could have been incompetence that made the seller think it was top 5 by looking at the numbers only, thinking the latest 200-series cards beat any other previous card.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuggan
Yes I noticed that, it makes me sad that any company would scam people by telling them this card is amongst the 5 best cards on the market from that manufacturer. It could have been incompetence that made the seller think it was top 5 by looking at the numbers only, thinking the latest 200-series cards beat any other previous card.
Oh he knows. His "30 years experience" with computers would've highlighted that fact (along with the poor choice of components creating a massive mismatch).

He must also be insanely rich. Anyone working with PC's in 1980 is now either Bill Gates, Steve Jobs or Steve Wozniak.

It's such a common mistake people make. "It's a new card, it must be good" - NO!. It's like buying a new car and assuming it'll be faster than an old car - it depends on the car, not the age.

I'm sick of trying to explain this. I'm glad someone else can see that I'm not mad. I'm just trying to make a point.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Actually I'm running the game at 1680 x 1050 wide screen with full settings and with no problems. So I dont know where you get your misguided informations from, If I turn it up higer I can see anyting, you know my poor eyes hehe

And yes I am 48 actually retired at 40 - only working for fun when companies call me -. I dont know if you actually can call me rich lol but I really dont need to lift a finger the rest of my life. I started programming on the Spectrum in the 1970's but I gurss your are to young to know anything about Spectrum, Vic 20, Comendor 64, Amiga or program Turbo pacal under dos

And yes Im glad that someone likes you with you big harry chest hehe
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darain
Actually I'm running the game at 1680 x 1050 wide screen with full settings and with no problems. So I dont know where you get your misguided informations from, If I turn it up higer I can see anyting, you know my poor eyes hehe

And yes I am 48 actually retired at 40 - only working for fun when companies call me -. I dont know if you actually can call me rich lol but I really dont need to lift a finger the rest of my life. I started programming on the Spectrum in the 1970's but I gurss your are to young to know anything about Spectrum, Vic 20, Comendor 64, Amiga or program Turbo pacal under dos

Old School!

Oh I remember the ZX Spectrum, my parents bought me a 16k spongy keyboard for my 6th birthday. I then worked my way through a Commodore 64, an Atari ST (I couldn't stand the Amiga) and Atari STE (I used that bad boy for Raytracing and Fractals). I programmed the schools Acorn Archemides' around that time to run simple copies of current games.

After that I moved into the realms of consoles. I was given a Japanese import Megadrive (had to use the "jam the pen alongside the cartridge" approach to running UK games) which was followed by a Sega Saturn. I bought an N64 - Goldeneye is still superb. A Sega Dreamcast came next and a played Phantasy Star online for months - as well as using it to build several websites. I then had a PS2 and a Gamecube and started building PC's around this time (2000-2001). I've built my last 5 PC's (apart from my current one) with each having an average life of a couple of years. I've also built PC's for friends and family - maybe I should think about a career change?

I currently own my gaming PC, a server PC, my loverly little netbook, 2 Gamecubes, a PS2, PS3 (mainly for the blu-ray), a Wii, my old Sega Saturn and countless handhelds.

I never bothered using Pascal to program - by that time I was console crazy and by the time I got back into PC's Pascal had died away.

Which Spectrum were you programming Peter? and yes... I'm a little too young to remember the VIC20 - but have played on one recently (Qbert rules!)
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darain

I know very well what a Spectrum is, I still have mine, it's dead now tho. I also still my old computers intact, some of them are actually still working, C-64, C-128, Amiga 500, Amiga 2000, 8086, 286, 386, 486, Pentium 1, Pentium III, Pentium 4, Core2Quad and my current Core i7. And I have programmed in Turbo Pascal aswell, still got the book intact, it's like a computer graveyard in my house.

You cant run at 1680x1050 with highest possible settings using that card, it wont happen. Even my card get into trouble when I put everything on maximum and all effects on. Soft particles and post processing would completly kill your card instantly. And my card is more than 10 times faster than a GT 230.

I can prove it to you if you'd like, that the GT 230 is not a highend card whatever the salesman told you.
I use a GTX 295 card, it has a Texel Fillrate of 92.2 Billions per sec, while yours have a Texel Fillrate of 8.8 billions per sec. My old 8800 Ultra that is 3 years old got a Texel Fillrate of 39.2 Billions per sec. And the 7950 GT have a Texel Fillrate of 13.2 even though its 4 years old.

If you still persist on claiming it is a highend card you can run a benchmark that lets you upload the score you got: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/physx-fluidmark/
That way you can prove to us that you are using a GT 230 and show your score. Run the 60seconds test, it's also great for checking if the card is unstable as it puts it on extreme load.

Here is a comparison of a GT 230 vs a GTX 285.
http://www.hwcompare.com/graphics/co...ce-GTX-285-1GB

I doubt you would need anymore proof, on the last site you can chose to compare with many different cards, both NVidia and ATI.
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splyce View Post
Oh he knows. His "30 years experience" with computers would've highlighted that fact (along with the poor choice of components creating a massive mismatch).

He must also be insanely rich. Anyone working with PC's in 1980 is now either Bill Gates, Steve Jobs or Steve Wozniak.

It's such a common mistake people make. "It's a new card, it must be good" - NO!. It's like buying a new car and assuming it'll be faster than an old car - it depends on the car, not the age.

I'm sick of trying to explain this. I'm glad someone else can see that I'm not mad. I'm just trying to make a point.
It doesnt automatically make you rich, there were hundreds of thousands people working with PC's in the 1980's. Back in the 80's Gates was far from the only one who wanted to make his own OS, alot of people wanted to create their own just for fun.