Lt. Commander
I have searched the forums for info on this and found many posts regarding the differences and uses of both the initial required "Name" field and the optional "Formal Name" fields, but a lot of the information people were providing was contradicting others (or else it was just worded in a confusing way). So I have a few questions regarding the STO naming conventions that I'm hoping someone can answer clearly for me.

Some of these questions may have seemingly obvious answers, but please keep in mind that I have yet to even play the game at this point as I do not want to create my character without understanding how the names work. Now, onto the questions.
  1. Which of the two name options do the NPCs refer to you by?

If it is the required Name field that is used by NPCs then I would assume that everything in that field would be used. For example, if I were to name my character "John Smith" then I would constantly be referred to in-game by NPCs as "Ensign John Smith" or "Mr. John Smith". If I only wanted to be addressed simply as "Ensign Smith" or "Mr. Smith" by NPCs then I should only fill in the name "Smith" into the required Name field. Is this correct?

Or is the Formal Name fields what is used by NPCs in-game? If so, if I were to use the names "John Adam Smith" (First/Middle/Last) then would the NPCs refer to me using only the name indicated in the Last field (ie. "Ensign Smith") or will they instead use my entire Formal Name (ie. "Ensign John Adam Smith").

2. How is your name displayed in-game to other players? Does it show your Formal Name or the required Name? If it is the Formal Name that is used, is the entire name shown (ie. "John Adam Smith") or are only certain fields, such as First and/or Last displayed to other players (ie. "John Smith" or "John" or "Smith").

3. Is your rank displayed to other players via your character's name display or is it shown through some other means such as an info panel or pop up of some kind?

I think that just about covers everything I want to know. If anyone can clear these few things up for me it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Your Required name is displayed above your ship name.
you don't see rank in space... on ground you can see rank if they have selected that title.
can also see it if you right click and check thier info

i know NPCs would use my formal name even tho my Required Name is Katana NPCs call me Commander Blade.

would have to wait for others to post. thats all i know
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2010, 05:30 PM
As I've seen, NPC's refer to you depending on the situation... in addressing you informally they say <Rank> <Primary name>

Example: my character name is Sullivan and Lauren Michelle Sullivan. She is a Lt. Commander currently.

In informal addresses NPC's say Commander Sullivan, blah blah blah... or more commonly Lt. Commander Sullivan, blah blah blah.

In formal address such as promotion ceremony... it's

"Lauren Michelle Sullivan has demonstraited the highest standards blah blah blah."

So the Required name field is therefore the informal address name.

And the Formal Name Field is the name used for formalities...

If there is none then it defaults to the Required name.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Thank you both for the quick responses, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowltief
i know NPCs would use my formal name even tho my Required Name is Katana NPCs call me Commander Blade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Sullivan
So the Required name field is therefore the informal address name.

And the Formal Name Field is the name used for formalities...

If there is none then it defaults to the Required name.
See what I mean about contradicting info?