Lt. Commander
# 1 how to take a screen shot..?
02-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Hi there, so I figured out that pressing the Print Screen button will take a screen shot. I was somewhat pleased that the game automatically removed the UI from the screen shot. Usually in other MMOs I play I have to make the UI invisible first before taking a screen shot. However, this leads me to a question. What if I need to take a screen shot of the UI? Is there a way to force the game to include the UI in the screen shot?

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 12:48 PM
/screenshot_ui_jpg
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
/screenshot_ui_jpg
I don't know what that means..
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
/screenshot_ui_jpg
type this into your chat window
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2010, 03:18 PM
is there any way we can maybe get a toggle for this instead of a command... or is there a way to rebind printscreen to do *that* command instead of the default one?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2010, 03:43 PM
You used to be able to hold shift or ctrl when you hit printscreen to get a screenshot. No clue if you still can.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2010, 04:33 PM
Yes, I believe you can bind the screenshot UI function to Control + PrintScreen. The issue I've found with that is that when you press Control + PrintScreen, it'll take the UI screenshot *and* a non-UI screenshot, effectively doubling the amount of disk space you use when taking screenshots (unless you like going in there and manually deleting the non-UI screens on a regular basis).

I wrestled with this one for a while. I couldn't figure out how to bind this command to a key other than a basic letter or number key. Eventually I realized that if you open the key binds option menu, you can use that to find the name for whatever key you want to use.

For example, I wanted to use my asterisk key on the numpad for screenshots (a default in an older MMO I used to play, so I'm used to it). By using the key binds menu I discovered that this key is referred to by the game as "multiply." So I just used the command:0

/bind multiply screenshot_ui_jpg

Another good alternative might be the Pause key, since it isn't used for anything else (to my knowledge) and is located in the same area of the keyboard as PrintScreen.

To be honest, I wish they'd just add the screenshot options to the keybind menu. Trying to rebind this function is overly complicated for something that's very easy to do in any other game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
05-30-2010, 11:41 PM
/screenshot_ui_jpg - seems to leave the hud behind now when it used to ignore the hud, am I doing something wrong?
Lt. Commander
# 9
05-31-2010, 01:53 AM
Quote:
/screenshot_ui_jpg - seems to leave the hud behind now when it used to ignore the hud, am I doing something wrong?
You are thinking of /screenshot_jpg. The _ui variants specifically include the HUD.
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-31-2010, 09:45 AM
To take a screen shot without the HUD, is Alt & Print Scrn button at the same time.