Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 53
# 11
07-08-2014, 07:26 AM
You have a good point Ralph.

And yes, the new system can work for new players too, but now there isn't a guaranteed blue or purple outcome anymore like you used to have with the old system. In addition, they also start with lower quality doffs (most likely whites, greens, and the occasional blue one), which will make it harder for them to get the good items.

I'm not saying that this will or should stop them from crafting, but I think it'll be more interesting to buy items of the exchange. At least, that's what I'd do if I decided to gear up a new character. With all the new crafters 'level up' gear will be so cheap that items are probably for sale below vendor value on the exchange. This'll change in time of course, but for the first couple of months you can get high quality gear for a low price, which likely takes away the incentive for crafting.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 207
# 12
07-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishkacm View Post
You have a good point Ralph.

And yes, the new system can work for new players too, but now there isn't a guaranteed blue or purple outcome anymore like you used to have with the old system. In addition, they also start with lower quality doffs (most likely whites, greens, and the occasional blue one), which will make it harder for them to get the good items.

I'm not saying that this will or should stop them from crafting, but I think it'll be more interesting to buy items of the exchange. At least, that's what I'd do if I decided to gear up a new character. With all the new crafters 'level up' gear will be so cheap that items are probably for sale below vendor value on the exchange. This'll change in time of course, but for the first couple of months you can get high quality gear for a low price, which likely takes away the incentive for crafting.
I hope you're right with that. Currently, low-level blue or purple gear is highway robbery on the exchange.

I'm not even talking about new characters for the most part. If you have a maxed out character, throwing around a few million to get the gear you want for your low-level alt may be disagreeable, but it's doable.

When I started crafting, I was a new player. I simply didn't have the EC to buy the stuff on the exchange, nor did I have a reliable way to get it at Level 10.

Perhaps the new system will encourage channels/Fleets to promote "community". Lower level characters provide materials, and "master" crafters craft the items. Time will tell - I'm trying to remain optimistic for the overhaul.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 784
# 13
07-08-2014, 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphgraphite View Post
Perhaps the new system will encourage channels/Fleets to promote "community". Lower level characters provide materials, and "master" crafters craft the items. Time will tell - I'm trying to remain optimistic for the overhaul.

Actually it was because of fleet communities that the cost of crafting is paid in Unreplicatable materials as that was the only way the master crafters could continue to build stuff for others. The time gates applied to the new system will put a small dampener on that happening in future though as many fleets cannot guarantee when both parties will next be in game.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 659
# 14
07-08-2014, 07:56 AM
If my Tribble experiences are anything to go by, this system will work out great for new characters. All of the items you need to craft low mark gear are easily available through story missions. Now I don't invest too much time in Tribble, so I don't know if that continues to be the case, but at the very start it shouldn't be too hard to get yourself some nice blue/purple mark appropriate gear. That I'm not gated by having to go to Memory Alpha anymore also means I'm much more willing to craft myself gear when I have the materials for it, rather than banking them for days (possibly leveling up past the point of that gear even being useful anymore), which was a real issue on my Federation characters (but not KDF, who always had easy access to crafting).

That said I'm sure that, when you're actually playing, your level will shoot past the mark you can reliably craft pretty quickly. That was an issue with the old system too. The only way I can see to prevent it is to slow down how fast we level...and I'm sure the altaholics a looking to crucify me now, so I'll step out of the thread.
Want to run canon ship loadouts? Join the Star Trek Battles channel.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 53
# 15
07-09-2014, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonsbrethren View Post
If my Tribble experiences are anything to go by, this system will work out great for new characters. All of the items you need to craft low mark gear are easily available through story missions. Now I don't invest too much time in Tribble, so I don't know if that continues to be the case, but at the very start it shouldn't be too hard to get yourself some nice blue/purple mark appropriate gear. That I'm not gated by having to go to Memory Alpha anymore also means I'm much more willing to craft myself gear when I have the materials for it, rather than banking them for days (possibly leveling up past the point of that gear even being useful anymore), which was a real issue on my Federation characters (but not KDF, who always had easy access to crafting).

That said I'm sure that, when you're actually playing, your level will shoot past the mark you can reliably craft pretty quickly. That was an issue with the old system too. The only way I can see to prevent it is to slow down how fast we level...and I'm sure the altaholics a looking to crucify me now, so I'll step out of the thread.
A better solution would be if we can level up faster with crafting.

I did a small calculation earlier today, to go from level 14 crafting in shields to level 15 I need 140 hours if I don't want to pay the dil bribe to get the item instantly.

Although I was excited about the new system initially, it also introduces several big disadvantages. With the previous system I stopped crafting altogether when dilithium was introduced and now it seems like you're forced to pay dilithium if you want to get anywhere at a reasonable pace.

I hope they adjust those time charges or increase the exp that crafted items reward, because in its current state the system only works for the very rich or the very hardcore players.
Career Officer
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 243
# 16
07-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishkacm View Post
You have a good point Ralph.

With all the new crafters 'level up' gear will be so cheap that items are probably for sale below vendor value
Maybe for a few minutes before the robber-barons buy it all up and relist it at exorbitant mark-ups.
________________________________

"I must repeat the words that come without my knowledge."
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphgraphite View Post
This. There should be some other way of getting these other than just PVE queues. If it is desired that they be part of PVE rewards to boost participation in queues, so be it - but restricting it to just PVE queues limits players who either do not yet participate (fresh 50s), or CANNOT yet participate as they are levelling.

Unless there's a pile of new PVE content coming in S9.5 for lower levels? Haven't heard a peep on that one yet though. Given the speed at which people level up, I doubt low-level missions are on offer anytime soon.

If it is difficult or impossible to craft level appropriate items as new players level, those players will possibly abandon the crafting system.

If Cryptic wants to make it difficult to obtain, perhaps now is the time to actually add a REASON to play with mission difficulty settings? Something like "Play on harder settings, better materials become available." Just my 2 zen...
Crafting system miss marks on key projects. Delta flyer was ten days getting samples now incomplte since it was explore area to get. Second was horta now incomplete since you need samples and rare scheenamic which is a repete of mission. Fleet base science will not go since it set to old and doff catian also needs old these need to corrected. These were season 3 when I did first time out, I can see early on mission ideas for doffs to complete the lack of there of or in axon could be studies of other areas. Limitation of vrare which yo placed at level 5 sould be rechecked to old book and where also if if doff are full need to be question to set better level .
Ensign
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 10
# 18
07-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Hmm somehow with specific stfs dropping very specific crafting mats we are returning to the old omega drop system from back in the day when if you wanted ground armor better go cure and hope that it drops and so on and so on, and I distincly remember that they changed that system because it proved problematic.

SO somehow why repeat that same thing of course this time people can always go to the mighty zen shop and hope for mats so there is that
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 PM.