Simply put, these are a few things that I believe would only serve to strengthen the overall enjoyment of the game. Some will seem somewhat counter intuitive, however.
1) Allowance to keybind power settings. Being able to either bind a set of keys to change between Attack, Defend, Speed and Balance or at least cycle through them would be invaluable. I often find myself using the numpad for attacks while directing with the WASD keys. So moving my hand from the numpad to the mouse, locating the cursor in all the battle stuff, then clicking the power setting can cause a bit more of a hassle than needed.
2) A fail condition for some of the missions. So far, what I've seen, especially during escort missions is that if the person we're protecting does manage to die, the mission's just bugged. Beam out, beam back in and start over. Why not just make it a fail, and have us actually restart?
3) Visible Fleet tags. Maybe I'm missing the ability someplace, but nobody seems to have a Fleet Tag up. Just nice to show who I'm with or that multiple members are working together when we can.
4) Ability to resize the power bar. Oh my god, this one's a pet peeve. For a couple reasons actually. One, our keybinds can actually give us options up to 12 powers on the hotbar. Two, my hotbar's totally filled right now, and if I pop up the the three, I lose the nifty piece of seeing which officer's giving me the ability.
5) Crew monitoring of teammates. I have Security team two, I have a teammate that needs a few more active crewmates... I have NO idea that they need it. They're too busy fighting to say anything, so the ability remains completely unused. I'm so very pleased we can at least now see shield and hull status for more than the first teammate, but there's just one more bit of status that is missing.
I'm sure there's more, and I'm sure other's will add their thoughts as well. Or perhaps just flesh out my own a bit better. However, this is what I came up with for the moment.
Being able to adjust my pitch to 90 degrees. I can fully accept that we're in a universe of up and down and can't do full barrel rolls or the like. However, we're in space and you're telling me my ship can't go straight up or straight down? Are we afraid of smashing into the side of nothing?
A neutral Zone with persistent objectives combat. Taking over the systems, sectors and the full zone. Small bonuses for controlling the zone (perhaps a 5% damage buff for sector 1, 5% resist for sector 2, 5% xp boost for sector 3, Improved chance of finding rare items for sector 4).
Clearly, some of these are more likely to be added soon than others. Some may never be implemented, but it's a list of what I'd like to see anyway.
To be honest, what would keep this game alive would be more varied missions. Think about it, what are your favorite PvE missions right now? Chances are they're the ones with good storylines and interesting objectives, not the ones that say "kill X of Y".
It wouldn't be too hard to just implement a few mre things into the game, I think. For example, an optional objective could be to rescue a security team in part one. In part two, the security team helps you out. They're not important. they can die just like every other redshirt. you dont need them to pass this part of the mission. but they still help.
Or in a space mission, let there be multiple ways to solve a problem. For example, say you had to get to a gorn mining base on an asteroid. However, they have long range scanners, and can detect you coming. If they detect you, then an extra battleship joins the fight, in addition to the turrets and frigates already guarding it. But if you destroy the two sensor satelites, you only have to face the frigates and turrets. Or you could mask your energy signature, and stay close to metallic asteroids to avoi being detected. BUT you dont have to! you could just as easily rush in and destroy the battleship, frigates and turrets, if you were so inclined.
Another thing that would make missions more fresh is time limits. Ill take an early mission as an example. The SS Azura. Near the end of the quest, the captain of the Azura activates a self destruct. But... you can take your sweet time getting off that ship. if they added maybe a three or five minute timer, it would be much more intense. The SS Azura also has many wounded crewman lying around. GIVE ME A BEEFIT FOR SAVING THEM! maybe they give me a hypo, or a minor item. Maybe they help me fight the orions on the ship. But don't just have them say "thanks" and do nothing! that kills the motavation of saving them.
Say your exploring unknown space. You beam down to explore an unknown planet and your science officer says something like "gather five samples of this grub" or whatever. you gather three and your about to grab your fourth when MOMMA GRUB decides to protect her young. She attacks you. Shes just a giant animal. But shes still dangerous, and she can come out of nowhere.
Or on any unknown planet. there could be native species everywhere. Herd animals, scavengers, massive titans that dont even notice you, predators, flying animals... It would really help the immersion of the game.
. Say you find a colony. Make it feel like a colony... people going about theyre buisness, talking to each other, working, relaxing... Have them comment on you, question what the big deal is as you rush by them with phasers drawn. Have minor merchants with a limited selection and stock that will pay more/less for certain items. If you stay there for awhile, have them recognize you and greet you by name.
Ok, one last example...Have this be an option in a sort of neutral space or in the unknown spaces(The nebulas and what not). High-levels only, and would work better as a fleet. HAve it so you can CLAIM a planet. Requstion colony ships to land there, set up pre-fab structures and get to work. Make it a HUGE money sink. But also give it personality, and benefits. For example, have the major NPC's(security, mayor etc) be a constant fixture. Be able to designate what the colony is for. Mining, Logging, Tribble Farming whatever. Have them give you a certain tax for all their hard work. Be able to invite people to your planet. Make sure the klingons don't overun it and claim it as thir own(Not too often though). Have it be YOUR space. And when you need to take a break, go to the local club and kick back with your crew.
I have many, many more examples, If anybody is willing to listen.
I cold do without fleet tags. They tend to clutter visual space. The 90 degree thing, they have chimed in on with an explanation a lot of people are not accepting. Regardless of that lack of acceptance, It is probably not going to happen at all. If it does it will be years in the future.
The rest, I can concede. It all makes sense and impressively succinct. There is no need for a wall of text ti get your point across.
Thanks for you intelligence and contribution. As a player, I appreciate this.