Lt. Commander
# 11
02-13-2010, 03:13 PM
It's OK to shoot the "large" fragments. In fact, doing so will help keep the noobs from getting hit by them. It's when the large ones hit a ship that they break into "small" fragments which fly back and heal the entity. You MUST shoot the small ones on sight or else each one will heal 1 or 2% of the creature.

The CE doesn't start spawning the "large" fragments until it gets down to 35% health, and the small ones only come from the large ones impacting on ships.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-13-2010, 03:16 PM
So, don't use mines because they heal it. Check.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayde View Post
Very succinctly put.

Never blow up shards, only target the entity.

Simple.
Failure defined in a post. Man you're bad at logic. This player and those like him are the reason this thing can't be pugged.

It's really a pity.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowover View Post
I'm pretty certain that exploding them with your weapons doesn't heal it. we had a team of guys clearing frags with phasers and another team focusing all fire on entity. Almost had it done until some fool dropped mines.

This is where it gets hard to tell whats going on. The fragments heal the thing when they smash into something and explode. Like a player's ship. Whenever anyone takes damage from a fragment, it heals.

Guess what's going on when it hits your mines. Mine's are one of those weapons that show up as a target. The fragments then target them, ram them and explode, causing the mine to explode. The fragments are dealing damage to the mine's, not viceversa.

That being explained I'll some up the problem as I've observed it in one sentance. I'm not claiming this to be accurate, maybe I've correlated my observations wrong, but this is my conclusion based on hours of trying.

The Crystalline Entity heals whenever the fragments deal damage.

What peope are missing is that it acts differently under 40%. When it is above that number you can shoot frags all day. Get it down to 40% and the "large fragments" come out. Shoot those and they make small ones that heal it. A few takes it back to full health in no time after half hour or more of knocking it down.

THAT IS THE WORST PART. You work like mad to kill it and one fool comes in shooting large frags and you are right back to square one. One idiot can set back 25 or more good pitlots.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Very succinctly put.

Never blow up shards, only target the entity.

Simple.
BOOM goes the dynamite!

NEVER SHOOT FRAGS PEOPLE! Just don't.

Simple.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-13-2010, 03:30 PM
The complete irony of the situation is that (usually) the people who are trying to take charge of the situation are giving all the wrong orders. If left to their own devices, people would normally just shoot everything comming at them, including those large shards that produce small shards when they collide with players. If they would stop trying to complicate matters by trying to tell people to kite the shards (which is possible, but why bother when you don't have to?) and just shoot down all shards period especially any small shards that're produced, the instance would go on much smoother.

And just a point of clarification, large shards do not produce small shards if shot down. They only make them if they successfully hit a player ship.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTray View Post
Failure defined in a post. Man you're bad at logic. This player and those like him are the reason this thing can't be pugged.

It's really a pity.
How is that wrong?

The thing heals when small fragments are killed. If you avoid killing any fragment, and state so simply, then you can't go wrong at all. Avoiding making contact with any fragment, be it with a weapon or your hull and you're in the clear.

Sure, you CAN kill small fragments, but why even make the distinction. I found it easy to avoid all fragments no matter what size... why differentiate? Make it foolproof.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcsola2003
The complete irony of the situation is that (usually) the people who are trying to take charge of the situation are giving all the wrong orders. If left to their own devices, people would normally just shoot everything comming at them, including those large shards that produce small shards when they collide with players. If they would stop trying to complicate matters by trying to tell people to kite the shards (which is possible, but why bother when you don't have to?) and just shoot down all shards period especially any small shards that're produced, the instance would go on much smoother.

And just a point of clarification, large shards do not produce small shards if shot down. They only make them if they successfully hit a player ship.
Kiting IMO is a waste of time. I sit mostly in one place and do great damage that way. Pop up shields if going to get hit. Take the damage.

You should NEVER shoot large frags. Always shoot small frags (contrary to my last post). Of course you only have too if idiots are attacking large ones. The others don't matter at all avoid them. kill them. Does not make a difference.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Quote:
How is that wrong?

The thing heals when small fragments are killed. If you avoid killing any fragment, and state so simply, then you can't go wrong at all. Avoiding making contact with any fragment, be it with a weapon or your hull and you're in the clear.

Sure, you CAN kill large fragments, but why even make the distinction. I found it easy to avoid all fragments no matter what size... why differentiate? Make it foolproof.
The thing heals when the small fragments make it back to the entity, not when they're killed.

Also, it's more fool-resistant to tell people to just shoot everything than to expect new players to even understand the concept of kiting.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrakkar
Well, is this a group encounter oder can you solo it? If the latter, then don't join a party...
No. WAY too powerful for a single, even 5 or 10. Need a bunch of folks in there.