Captain
# 21
07-11-2014, 06:04 AM
Happy to see more Doff feedback in patchnotes for once.

It's all basically been said, I'll just stress the importance of decreasing the assignement tile sizes.

On the screenshots presented, people have a much larger Doff window open than a 1366x768 screen permits. I'm kinda forced to the smallest Doff UI possible and there i only see 3 and a half assignements without scrolling. And the jumbled mess of doffs that opens in a new window when I want to choose one for an assignement is another loss of screen space. Quite a significant one.

Then you've got here feedback that's been pretty consistent from day 1: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1147711

And I haven't noticed any changes to the Doff UI since last patch, so I presume the 'numerous updates' all went to crafting instead.
TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix: Bring in the Allegiance class
Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia: Design that long overdue Tier 5 C-Store Raptor
Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var: Give us Asylums for Romulans

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
Ensign
# 22
07-11-2014, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trelane87 View Post
So here's a run through doing an assignment. For this example I set up the "Strike Against Fugitive Support Network":

Old System

1. On the assignment page you have everything laid out for you, and on the left hand side I have a nice big list of all the doffs I can use for this assignment:

http://i.imgur.com/akadmgh.png

2. For an assignment that only asks for doffs of a certain department I like to either use doffs I have excess of or ones of a profession I hardly use, in this case I used 2 Conn Officers and a Shield Distribution Officer:

http://i.imgur.com/brMCZW5.png

It was very easy to scroll down and find the doffs I wanted.

New System

1. The new UI chose the doffs for the assignment automatically:

http://i.imgur.com/EZ95D0F.png

While this is a nice addition these doffs could be better used in other assignments (Security Officers in particular have many assignments that specifically require them).

2. So I want to change them, I click on the select button and get this:

http://i.imgur.com/pBXz8Zo.png

What is this... a center for ants??? Every single that should be small on the UI is MASSIVE, and the one thing that should actually be bigger is tiny! What order is this even in?

3. So after scrolling through this thing 3 times I finally find the doffs I'm looking for:

http://i.imgur.com/hbl2kef.png

And I should note I have a fairly large screen that I play on, so if you have a smaller screen good luck to you
Yes. This is the problem with the new UI.

A. The UI automatically slots the "recommended" doffs, who are almost always the wrong ones for the assignment (optimized for success rather than optimized for critical success).

B. Replacing the "recommended" doffs with the ones you actually want to use is incredibly painful due to the awful popup windows. Given that Cryptic still hasn't fixed the popup windows that were added with the loadout system, I do not have great hope that they will ever fix these, either.

Not to sound melodramatic, but if this system goes live with the popup windows in their current state, it will kill doffing for me. And since doffing is one of the few things about the game that makes me feel like a ship captain rather than a fighter pilot or special forces operative, if this system goes live with the popup windows in their current state, it will kill the game for me.
Ensign
# 23 Doffs
07-11-2014, 06:29 AM
Now with the auto-select doffs imagine that you're at support somecluste colonization efforts. The AI always optimizes for success but player wants there max critical chance (to obtain purple doff).

Another location is starbase with reports trading CXP to fleet marks where player wants optimize for critical too (and AI pick is especially bad when assignment can have only critical/success, ie there's no fail)
Ensign
# 24
07-11-2014, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisolliec View Post
Did anyone notice that, if you get a critical while crafting components, you get three components but only one skill point? This feels quite a bit wrong, in my opinion. Especially when compared to the "normal" doff missions.

The crafting system feels quite inefficient.

Even with the "critical" chance, I'd still like to have the possibility to craft more than one component at a time. You have to spend lots of time to craft components (with almost no rewards, XP-wise), before you even have the chance to craft one item... I'd prefer to have my Duty officers work for an hour to create large batches of components instead of doing that all by myself. I could go and collect more materials, in that time. That would be somewhat more efficient.

Besides, there still seems to be something broken in the Duty Officer system:
http://imgur.com/O6pvoz9

-----------

PS: Don't reduce the size of the UI any more. I'm glad I can finally see the amount of rewards/needed parts. Was always a lot of guessing for me with the old UI. To those why may cry out because of this: You are able to change the size of the window, as you can see in that pic above. If you don't want to do that, deal with it.
Not sure why you needed any "guesswork" with the old system, since all the information you needed about an assignment would appear in the right-hand pane. By trying to fit more information in the assignment description, they're actually including less information overall.

But if this system goes live in anything resembling its current state, I will "deal with it" ... by cancelling my subscription. Cryptic had better hope that there aren't a lot of people like me, I guess....
Career Officer
# 25
07-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Seeing those comparison screens I already miss the old DOFF interface greatly.

It may sound like a minor thing but... the pie. The pie! It was the perfect chart for this. Why was it changed?! Bar charts are not adequate for this because they don't tell at quick glance that the numbers are part of a percentage.

At this point, it's just wishful thinking, knowing Cryptic, but I wish the old interface could be just tweaked around and not completely overhauled into something less practical.
Captain
# 26
07-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk79 View Post
Seeing those comparison screens I already miss the old DOFF interface greatly.

It may sound like a minor thing but... the pie. The pie! It was the perfect chart for this. Why was it changed?! Bar charts are not adequate for this because they don't tell at quick glance that the numbers are part of a percentage.

At this point, it's just wishful thinking, knowing Cryptic, but I wish the old interface could be just tweaked around and not completely overhauled into something less practical.
Well said!
<--------------------> <--------------------> <-------------------->
Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
Career Officer
# 27
07-11-2014, 07:51 AM
The patch notes seem to missing references to buffing the Cell ship (since so much was taken from it) and reinstating the social bridge invites for colonization doffing. Surely this will not go live with these glaring oversights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
. . . QA runs through it a bunch, and if there is a major problem, only the files necessary to fix that issue are allowed in.
Career Officer
# 28
07-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Did I miss something being said about not being able to craft weapons hire than Mk II? Hrmm, anything above Mk II? Wait, no...I can craft Mk X shields on my L20 shields guy; but I can't craft anything else above Mk II with him. Even where he's L5 in projectiles, he can only craft Mk II consoles/mines/torps.

edit: Based on a lack of replies, I'm guessing this isn't something many folks are noticing...meh.
I can definitely craft mk iv weapons at level 0, so its not something ive noticed.

Lt. Commander
# 29
07-11-2014, 08:11 AM
it's probably related to the bug that doesn't tell you if you miss required components when you have at least 1 of those.

they appear as you have all you need, so you think you have enough and are puzzled as to why you can't start the project.
Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the crap out of me.
We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
Career Officer
# 30
07-11-2014, 08:21 AM
That doff interface...

Change for the sake of change is a genuinely stupid concept

The current interface on live works well, I'd even say its possibly the best organised section in the UI
-----------------------------------------------

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f