Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Pve is redundant...

Mentality was mixxed between mature Trekkie fans and complete noobs. Can't say it's worse on fed side (though it is only because that's where the bulk of the server population is). Pvp queues have anywhere from 30 to 130 people waiting to pvp, barely anybody on Klingon side. Which is crazy because the PVE in game is pretty worthless. Anyways, has anybody else seen this to be the bigger problem vs. Viral matrix etc...
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 10:58 PM
You had to mention VM didn't you.. You coudn't have kept this thread clean
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojokujo
Pve is redundant...

Mentality was mixxed between mature Trekkie fans and complete noobs. Can't say it's worse on fed side (though it is only because that's where the bulk of the server population is). Pvp queues have anywhere from 30 to 130 people waiting to pvp, barely anybody on Klingon side. Which is crazy because the PVE in game is pretty worthless. Anyways, has anybody else seen this to be the bigger problem vs. Viral matrix etc...
I primarily play a klingon - it's boring. PvP is lame atm. Only a few small maps to do over and over. Supposedly the feds and klings are at war but you wouldn't know it - no sector control, no battles over controllable planets, starbases, etc. Pointless. As for VM and all the spammable cc in space and ground combat.../punches a kitten
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-13-2010, 11:39 PM
The pve improves somewhat as you progress. It was actually vastly superior in beta when it was actually challenging, but that's the cryptic nerf hammer for ya. Still, there are a handful of great missions/episodes, "City on the edge of Never" and "Suspect" come to mind, and the Romulan missions/episodes on the whole aren't too shabby (most of them anyway).

Hopefully with the end game content pve updates and raidisodes, cryptic improves things. Also, a difficulty slider would be sooooooooooooooo nice. My first impression of space combat in Beta were so good, it was actually challenging and there were, occasionally, really tough fights, like the Gorn Hostage Battleship.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 01:08 AM
As far as VM goes I could care less about the changes they do or do not make. I personally see issues that would drop player population far greater then VM ever could. He'll, only counter I bring for that in pvp is raising my aux so it dispells faster. Some of the pve is cool, some... Mostly the space battles not the story. I agree that we need more maps that are well thought out, both ground and space. I agree space maps are to small on capture and hold.... But pvp is the true bread and butter of this game - and if people want to pvp they need to go to Klingon side or federation is gonna jump all over FvF and the game will go the way of the DoDo. I'm not crying over this or anything, I just want a kick ass mmo, and this game is so close yet so far away. Nothing is OP except for the good pvp'ers. Sure there are grief skills, there always will be... But the true complaints for the long haul lie in the overall gameplay mechanics and user interface. I would even go as far to say that the game would be better if the Klingon ships were twinked or fed ships nerfed.... Maybe then more people would dedicate to the Klingon faction and allow for more pvp options on fed side.

Anybody else agree?

Biggest problem I see is 100:1 fed vs Klingon ratio, and the Feds fight brainless in pvp while the Klingons work their BoP's off to get their wins. That's fail from start to finish. And quick action is needed otherwise POOF half the players quit due to lacking infastructure, future game advancement placed on hold due to lack of funding, POOF almost great game now = lame duck. We have all seen it with 95% of the mmo's.

And: I totally agree that PVE is super easy mode, needs to be about 25% harder at least.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Quote:
As far as VM goes I could care less about the changes they do or do not make. I personally see issues that would drop player population far greater then VM ever could. He'll, only counter I bring for that in pvp is raising my aux so it dispells faster. Some of the pve is cool, some... Mostly the space battles not the story. I agree that we need more maps that are well thought out, both ground and space. I agree space maps are to small on capture and hold.... But pvp is the true bread and butter of this game - and if people want to pvp they need to go to Klingon side or federation is gonna jump all over FvF and the game will go the way of the DoDo. I'm not crying over this or anything, I just want a kick ass mmo, and this game is so close yet so far away. Nothing is OP except for the good pvp'ers. Sure there are grief skills, there always will be... But the true complaints for the long haul lie in the overall gameplay mechanics and user interface. I would even go as far to say that the game would be better if the Klingon ships were twinked or fed ships nerfed.... Maybe then more people would dedicate to the Klingon faction and allow for more pvp options on fed side.

Anybody else agree?

Biggest problem I see is 100:1 fed vs Klingon ratio, and the Feds fight brainless in pvp while the Klingons work their BoP's off to get their wins. That's fail from start to finish. And quick action is needed otherwise POOF half the players quit due to lacking infastructure, future game advancement placed on hold due to lack of funding, POOF almost great game now = lame duck. We have all seen it with 95% of the mmo's.
missions pick up once you actually get a class of ship other than "rustbucket of doom"
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2010, 01:15 AM
Since OB I have taken two Klingons to t4 and one fed to T3 - I agree that some missions are killer. But can you really Imagine yourself repeating that content more then once? At least games like EQ2 and WoW were able to pull it off. That sets the bar high for new games like this.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2010, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Since OB I have taken two Klingons to t4 and one fed to T3 - I agree that some missions are killer. But can you really Imagine yourself repeating that content more then once? At least games like EQ2 and WoW were able to pull it off. That sets the bar high for new games like this.
oh please, "go kill X goblins" or "go get me Y elderberry bushes" gets really old really fast, and for the most part thats what WoW quests were in the beginning.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2010, 02:02 AM
I don't think VM will have much if any effect on the player population.

Space not being a true 3D experience, yes
PVE mostly being the same thing over and over until it ends and then there is none at all, yes
Interface issues, yes
PVP sucking, yes
Klingons have 1 uniform, yes
Klingons having no content, yes
5 minute delays between 5 minutes of content, yes
nerf that take what fun there is, yes
Crashing Servers, yes
lag, yes
Lack of support, yes
Lack of documentation, yes
No respec option, yes
Bad design shortcuts, yes
Mostly broken abilities or unclear abilities, Yes
Exchange being weakly implimented, yes
Movement changing when you enter combat on the ground, Yes

This list could go on and on and I'm sure any issues caused by the powers that do work don't square up against any of these. If they fix, nerf or otherwise change Viral Matrix this game will be a wasteland by the end of month 2 if not before. It's a poor refacing of Champions which is a wasteland as well, or was last time I long into it. I don't see how Cryptic can fix these issues quickly enough to save the game. How could anyone roll out a game where players in mass are leaving and or are worried about the survival of the game before the second week of play ends. Maybe the upside is that producers will stop believing they are so good they can role out an MMO in 6 months and have a success of it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn
oh please, "go kill X goblins" or "go get me Y elderberry bushes" gets really old really fast, and for the most part thats what WoW quests were in the beginning.
This is not completely true. Yes there were some of these but there was also alot of dungeon content that was interesting. There were some amazingly good story line quests and no matter how you look at it WOW didn't need you to grind for days in quests where you were being slowed down artificially by having 5 minute breaks forced on you. It also wasn't possible to max your character in a week. I understand why everyone wants to be compaired to WOW but lets face it, WOW has had more people start playing it in a Day than STO has likely sold since it started being sold. I'm 100% confident word of mouth about STO is having the reverse effect it had on potential players of WOW. The few whiners aside to this DAY no one touches Blizzards dedication to keeping quality high and at least trying to make it fun. I don't like the game personally but I do understand the approach they took to appealing to the masses and appealing to someone is better than appealing to absolutely no one. I would be spamming these pages with ideas if I had any. I'm trying and have been trying to say some things desperately need to be fixed.

Space needs to feel like space
Quests and Content in general needs to be added.
Clothing and other content needs to be added at least for the Klingon side which currently has 1 set.
delays needs to be shorted or removed so players spend most of their time playing, not 50% or less of it ( read this isn't fun )
I think Crusiers need to be enhanced
Fix the broken stuff before nerfing things and if you nerf something do what Blizzard does and that's to offset the nerf with a buff somewhere else so that the change isn't 125% negative.