Lt. Commander
# 1 Reusing Ship Names
02-13-2010, 04:51 PM
As I understand it ship names are not required to be unique just like player names are not in STO. However, I recall reading somewhere that no ship name can be used more than once per character. Does this mean that when I eventually earn a new ship I cannot use the name from my previous ship? Or is there actually some way to transfer my old ship name to my new ship?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-13-2010, 04:56 PM
You are correct. You cannot reuse a ship name. Even if it has a different designation, ie,: A,B,C,or D). You can however rename your "old" ship, and rename you new ship to whatever you want, including the name you used on your previous ship.
Lt. Commander
# 3
I don't think you have to use new names, however, once you rank up higher having 5 ships with the same name might become a little confusing.

The easiest way to do it would be to put a -B -C etc at the end of your ship name.

You could also put a I, II, III, IV instead.
Lt. Commander
# 4
I've just done that.

My original light cruiser was called the USS Midway and I bought myself a cruiser later and I wanted to call that the USS Midway too. So I changed the orignal ships name to something else (USS Superfluous), changed the new ship name to USS Midway, and then altered the registration so it had the same number with A added on.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndr View Post
You are correct. You cannot reuse a ship name. Even if it has a different designation, ie,: A,B,C,or D). You can however rename your "old" ship, and rename you new ship to whatever you want, including the name you used on your previous ship.
I like your answer better
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Ahhh, okay I understand now. I didn't realize that when you received a new ship that you still kept the old ones. It's good to know that you can easily rename your older ships. That being said, is there any in-game cost for renaming a ship (such as there is for renaming your characters)?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Yeah my star cruiser named the U.S.S. Karl Marx IX makes me look like a bad captain who destroyed all his old ships wayyyy too much.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GUI-LoBo
As I understand it ship names are not required to be unique just like player names are not in STO. However, I recall reading somewhere that no ship name can be used more than once per character. Does this mean that when I eventually earn a new ship I cannot use the name from my previous ship? Or is there actually some way to transfer my old ship name to my new ship?
There are three ways to do this, since you can't have a ship with the same name as an existing ship you already have.

1. Rename old ship to something else to save the name you want to reuse
2. Decommission the old ship with the name you want to reuse.
3. Make it USS (same name as before)- B, C, D, whatever.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Can you sell your old ships back to the store in starbase?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GUI-LoBo
I've used the same name for all of my ships as I've upgraded. I just renamed the old ship to something else before renaming the new one.