Lt. Commander
# 41
02-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
Heh, really all I can recall is the tri-nacelle future Enterprise in All Good Things, and the Enterprise-E at the finale of Insurrection.

Oddly, both times with Riker in command rather than Picard.

Which ship in Undiscovered Country? I don't remember.

While I would adore if they added full x/y/z controls (EVE does this) it would be a much steeper play learning curve and confuse a lot of basic/casual players. I suspect the present spatial limits were deliberate.
A photon torpedo was shot by the cloaked BoP at the Enterprise from directly underneath strait through the forward disk hull and out the top. Only way possible was for the BoP to be undeath but vertical
Lt. Commander
# 42
02-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
And for emphasis, real writers = professional writers.

Hey STO management, you guys ever consider approaching Peter David or other regular Trek novel writers for Episode development?

The in-house staff have done a fantastic job, but adding in some David content for example would blow the roof of in many ways, PR being the least of them.
Its hard not to compare MMO's to World of ********, however, WoW hired a story telling team 2 years before launch and then continued to add more after launch.

Whether you enjoy Blizzard's product or not, is a topic for another thread, however Cryptic, or any game company, could look at Blizzard's commitment to their players, their constant and transparent effort to improve their servers and their software, and the polished quality of that product, and use that as a business model of how to do things right from top to bottem.

They dont hesitate to adapt to their players.

Another MMO that has built its game around its players is EVE. Again whether you like it or not, is not the topic, however their commentment to their player community is incredible. They once scaped 6 months of story development because players, through the game mechanics, altered the story in an unexpected way. Players banded together and assassinated one of the Major Faction's Emperor's. Instead of stopping this, instead of leting their pride get in the way, EVE just rolled with it, and changed history. Never before had players altered the base story line of a game irrevicably and forever, and against the goals of the game.

Again I see the potential of this game, its smooth graphics, novel concepts, and the 40 years of Star Trek Canon behind it. The next 60 days will be many potential players moment of truths. Cryptic Capre Diem, dont drop the ball.
Lt. Commander
# 43
02-14-2010, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erichamby View Post
"Space combat is not a full x/y/z 360 model"

Niether is any ship in star trek duh. how many ships did you see flying straight up and down is star trek?... not many.
There isnt really an up and down in space... this is an issue that anyone who enjoys space combat has the problem with. I feel Star Trek did a huge dis-service in general with space combat.
no more so than Star Wars when the disabled Super Star Destroyer "fell" nose down into the Death Star.
that was just dumb. But atleast it had a Z axis.
Lt. Commander
# 44
02-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldelver View Post
OP's rant
It's fun to present opinions as fact isn't it.
Lt. Commander
# 45
02-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Thebigcheese
It's fun to present opinions as fact isn't it.
Troll much?

My post made comments supported by fact or consensus.

Yours offers nothing to the discussion
Lt. Commander
# 46
02-15-2010, 06:33 AM
A bump for justice!