Captain
# 71
07-16-2014, 12:44 PM
For me, the breakdown comes about in the following way...

I understand the beneficial nature of the relationship between PWE/Cryptic and various third party media outlets. It's good for PWE/Cryptic because it increases the reach of the game beyond what they could reasonably do themselves and it's good for those various third parties because they either get to be involved in something they enjoy or they actually even manage to generate some revenue beyond just keeping it afloat.

PWE/Cryptic gives a "scoop" to somebody, folks tune into that source - good for the source, good for PWE/Cryptic.

But there's a step missing. The step doesn't necessarily entail transcriptions of any such third party broadcasts; but rather the step involves the lack of dissemination of information from the company and instead relying upon the playerbase to share the information from those third parties.

Cryptic gives a scoop to Priority One Podcast. Awesome so far, right? Now, after a period of time has passed...where is the blog or GNN announcement from Cryptic about what they said during that podcast? Where is the "here's what we said" post? Where is that official follow up on the official site/forums?

Instead, it is left to the players...and while it might make the forums more entertaining at times with all the misinformation spread, folks simply hearing things the way they wanted to - taking things out of context - or having listened while drunk...whatever the case may be, in the end one is left with the question of is that how you really want things communicated? Is it unreasonable to expect a company to at some point provide official announcements of things they have said to third parties?
Survivor of Romulus
# 72
07-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Except that this is, in essence, and extra-curricular activity. The thing everyone in this building gets paid to do, is make the game. If we go out and talk to people on a podcast, that isn't paid. We will absolutely support other languages, the hearing impaired, etc. when it comes to the game. I don't understand why it would be our responsibility to do so when we are talking about something outside of the scope of the game.
It isn't paid, no. But you're still representing your employer, and with jobs I've had... if I was representing my place of employment even off the clock, I was responsible for the things I did or said. And if I did the wrong thing or said the wrong thing? I was just as accountable.

You say it's outside the scope of the game, but I see the distribution of information as an equally integral part of the game itself, and an equally important part of the game. Especially when MMOs continually evolve.

Quote:
You say that the transcribing shouldn't be the playerbase's responsibility. But the thing that we are looking to transcribe, is a player run podcast.
I'm saying that if there are no other avenues for the distribution of information, then PWE/Cryptic is accountable for the avenue they do take. In this case, it's P1. I would (and have) said the same thing when it comes to any other type of audio-only media, no matter which player-run volunteer organization it is.

Quote:
How is it that the transcription of a podcast that is run by volunteer players, should be the responsibility of paid staff who have nothing otherwise to do with the podcast?
No. It should be the responsibility of paid staff whose specific job requirements include the release of information for the game -- and any information released about the game whether it was released on or off the clock.

Whether that information is released via a player-run podcast or released in-house, it's still pertinent information about the game, and somebody at PWE or Cryptic is accountable not only for that information being released, but being able to be understood by the entire playerbase.

I'm not saying it's specifically P1, or specifically the people being interviewed. I'm saying somebody, somewhere needs to be held accountable. If it's about Star Trek Online? Then in my opinion it ends with the publisher and developer.

You don't talk to anyone in an interview without somebody's approval. You have gatekeepers. I'm pointing at the gatekeepers.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147

Last edited by iconians; 07-16-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Captain
# 73
07-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
If we go out and talk to people on a podcast, that isn't paid.
Maybe but you ARE talking as a Cryptic employer ... if a podcast just asked you about woodcarving it would be one thing, asking what you are currently working at Cryptic is another.

I am not going to list to a podcast thats 1 hour long to hear "I dont know","I cannot say anything" ... fact is information is being controlled and you are not at liberty to answer everything you are asked and dont tell me you guys dont get a heads up from marketing saying over what to talk about.

Plus the real issue we are having is the very last place we seen to find information about STO seems to be STO forums ...
Former Star Trek Online Player
Career Officer
# 74
07-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
It isn't paid, no. But you're still representing your employer, and with jobs I've had... if I was representing my place of employment even off the clock, I was responsible for the things I did or said. And if I did the wrong thing or said the wrong thing? I was just as accountable.

You say it's outside the scope of the game, but I see the distribution of information as an equally integral part of the game itself, and an equally important part of the game. Especially when MMOs continually evolve.

I'm saying that if there are no other avenues for the distribution of information, then PWE/Cryptic is accountable for the avenue they do take. In this case, it's P1. I would (and have) said the same thing when it comes to any other type of audio-only media, no matter which player-run volunteer organization it is.

No. It should be the responsibility of paid staff whose specific job requirements include the release of information for the game -- and any information released about the game whether it was released on or off the clock.

Whether that information is released via a player-run podcast or released in-house, it's still pertinent information about the game, and somebody at PWE or Cryptic is accountable not only for that information being released, but being able to be understood by the entire playerbase.

I'm not saying it's specifically P1, or specifically the people being interviewed. I'm saying somebody, somewhere needs to be held accountable. If it's about Star Trek Online? Then in my opinion it ends with the publisher and developer.
What you're asking for, though, if pushed, would ultimately just result in Cryptic stopping giving interviews to any audio programs. They're only responsible for the content of the information that comes out, not how it is then distributed by the third party. I agree that it would be nice if transcripts were available, but that responsibility does fall to the third party, not Cryptic.

See my suggestions to revamp playable factions at: FACTION REVAMP: A PROPOSAL TO CRYPTIC STUDIOS
Survivor of Romulus
# 75
07-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddmoonrizin View Post
What you're asking for, though, if pushed, would ultimately just result in Cryptic stopping giving interviews to any audio programs.
How would I be able to tell the difference? Whether they're being interviewed without a text format available or not interviewed at all, from where I'm sitting it's the same exact result.

Quote:
They're only responsible for the content of the information that comes out, not how it is then distributed by the third party. I agree that it would be nice if transcripts were available, but that responsibility does fall to the third party, not Cryptic.
I'd be okay with this result. Information for everybody or nobody at all.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147

Last edited by iconians; 07-16-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Captain
# 76
07-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadme2kirk View Post
Please. The Dislike Button would be bugged and they'd never fix it!
Right, why fix it when they could just remove it. It's not like they could tie a reputation system to a Dislike button anyways.
Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
Career Officer
# 77
07-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
How would I be able to tell the difference? Whether they're being interviewed without a text format available or not interviewed at all, from where I'm sitting it's the same exact result.

I'd be okay with this result. Information for everybody or nobody at all.
I empathize with your position. The right thing would be to have transcripts available. I'm just saying that it's not Cryptic's responsibility to provide said transcripts for a third party site. For one, they don't have any rights to publish the third party's interview, which would be in essence what they would be doing. It would be a violation of intellectual copyright. The transcription falls to the responsibility of the third party.

Now, what would great of Cryptic to do is release any pertinent information regarding STO that was mentioned in an interview in a Dev Blog or forum posting here. Which, I'm sure probably does happen. It's doubtful that anything said in an interview that's relevant to STO doesn't eventually get mentioned on the site, in the forums, or some other official channels.

See my suggestions to revamp playable factions at: FACTION REVAMP: A PROPOSAL TO CRYPTIC STUDIOS
Captain
# 78
07-16-2014, 01:23 PM
I'll transcribe the damn thing, if somebody puts $100 in my paypal. I need that for Vegas.
Captain
# 79
07-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
I'll transcribe the damn thing, if somebody puts $100 in my paypal. I need that for Vegas.
Would it cost extra to only transcribe the information we're interested in? Say we didn't need a transcript about the quality of sheer fabric in a costume for Vegas in August?

Heh, which is where I don't believe we need a full transcript - we just need a transcript of official information being presented by Cryptic to third parties - though that transcript doesn't even need to be a transcript, just a post or a blog conveying the information that was shared otherwise.
Survivor of Romulus
# 80
07-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Over on the Lord of the RIngs Online forums there are users who take time out of their busy schedules to take notes and post bullet points of what was said during their regular livestreams. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-What-Was-Said

That could be done here as well.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic