Survivor of Romulus
# 81
07-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddmoonrizin View Post
I empathize with your position. The right thing would be to have transcripts available.
It is the right thing. Not the cheap thing. Not the easy thing. Not the most time-efficient thing. But it is still the right thing to do.

Quote:
I'm just saying that it's not Cryptic's responsibility to provide said transcripts for a third party site. For one, they don't have any rights to publish the third party's interview, which would be in essence what they would be doing. It would be a violation of intellectual copyright. The transcription falls to the responsibility of the third party.
If it's Trevor's responsibility to post those interviews to the STO forums, then somebody told him to do that.

I'm saying that PWE/Cryptic has a multitude of ways to issue information to the public, and I'm not going to settle for the information gatekeepers at PWE/Cryptic wanting to shift blame to the very players who run these volunteer services.

They're the information gatekeepers. What goes into their decision-making for interview approval should always include accessibility.

It does not. I think that should change.

I can't reconcile with the reality of somebody at PWE/Cryptic having the job to release information to the public, but simultaneously blaming a non-paid volunteer third-party for making sure that information can be understood by all (not just most).

Quote:
Now, what would great of Cryptic to do is release any pertinent information regarding STO that was mentioned in an interview in a Dev Blog or forum posting here. Which, I'm sure probably does happen. It's doubtful that anything said in an interview that's relevant to STO doesn't eventually get mentioned on the site, in the forums, or some other official channels.
How about PWE/Cryptic makes that extra effort into changing your opinion of "Probably does happen." into "Definately does happen. Every time."?

Is that unreasonable?
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147

Last edited by iconians; 07-16-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Commander
# 82
07-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Well, when we revealed things in Podcasts, we got crap for it.
I believe this to be a rather unfair statement.

The fair response to this, is that when you reveal things ONLY in Podcasts, and nowhere else, then you get crap for it. Instead, information revealed during podcasts need to filter down through the community (forums/twitter/facebook/reddit), and is often 3rd hand information, which ultimately ends up being different from the intended meaning of the original statement. The end result being, people giving you flak for having said this or that on a podcast, when you might not have.

Give all the interviews you want (on Priority One, or some other podcast for all I care). Just make sure that any official information revealed during said interview, is eventually made available PUBLICLY to everyone via the STO Website. I don't need a blow-by-blow of every word uttered during a 3 hour podcast, but I expect to read some official information on what was said in that interview. As is, most often we never find out about what happened in an interview until weeks/months later.
Captain
# 83
07-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by druhin View Post
I believe this to be a rather unfair statement.

The fair response to this, is that when you reveal things ONLY in Podcasts, and nowhere else, then you get crap for it. Instead, information revealed during podcasts need to filter down through the community (forums/twitter/facebook/reddit), and is often 3rd hand information, which ultimately ends up being different from the intended meaning of the original statement. The end result being, people giving you flak for having said this or that on a podcast, when you might not have.
This, this, this, this, this...this, this, this...this!

"Wheeeee, this is kind of fun. Oopsie...my bad."
Fleet Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
Endless, Hazari Destroyer
Career Officer
# 84
07-16-2014, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Over on the Lord of the RIngs Online forums there are users who take time out of their busy schedules to take notes and post bullet points of what was said during their regular livestreams. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-What-Was-Said

That could be done here as well.
I used to post clip notes/focused transcripts a few months ago on the STO forums for ship hints/comments made in podcasts. However, after a while I found out that I was only stirring up malice and discontent. Then I learn that the mood on the forums will also be sour and that mood was affecting how I was enjoying STO.

So, yes, some kind folks on the forums can volunteer to transcribe (which some do!) but I don't envy those people.

In my open though, I feel that it is the responsibility of the podcast to provide a transcript. Not Cryptic Studios. Saying otherwise, to me, is like requiring a person who is being interviewed on TV to also provide closed captioning for their interview.
Member since November 2009... I think.
(UFP) Ragnarök Fleet - Logistics Division Vice Admiral T'Phira; Captain Selena; Captain Altecha; Captain K'Kera; Lieutenant Aydihe Tefx; Subcommander S'ena
(KDF) Lieutenant General Vokno (aka Lady Vokno); Lieutenant General Raylene
Survivor of Romulus
# 85
07-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by altechachan View Post
In my open though, I feel that it is the responsibility of the podcast to provide a transcript. Not Cryptic Studios. Saying otherwise, to me, is like requiring a person who is being interviewed on TV to also provide closed captioning for their interview.
And if that television network does not provide closed captioning, then not only do they open themselves up to public scrutiny -- the people who associate with that network (including the person/people being interviewed) similarly open themselves up, including the advertisers and sponsors of that network.

More importantly, there is somebody above it all, behind the scenes, who gives the greenlight for an interview. That person is Public Relations.

If they schedule and greenlight these things, part of that decision making should always include, "Is this information hitting everybody it should?"

"If it doesn't? Why?"

"If we know why, what can we do to ensure it does?"

"If we know what can be done, why aren't we doing so?"
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Career Officer
# 86
07-16-2014, 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
It is the right thing. Not the cheap thing. Not the easy thing. Not the most time-efficient thing. But it is still the right thing to do.
You're preaching to the choir here.

Quote:
If it's Trevor's responsibility to post those interviews to the STO forums, then somebody told him to do that.

I'm saying that PWE/Cryptic has a multitude of ways to issue information to the public, and I'm not going to settle for the information gatekeepers at PWE/Cryptic wanting to shift blame to the very players who run these volunteer services.

They're the information gatekeepers. What goes into their decision-making for interview approval should always include accessibility.

It does not. I think that should change.

I can't reconcile with the reality of somebody at PWE/Cryptic having the job to release information to the public, but simultaneously blaming a non-paid volunteer third-party for making sure that information can be understood by all (not just most).
Again, the thing we don't know for sure is whether this same information given during an audio interview does or does not get released by Cryptic via text elsewhere.

Quote:
How about PWE/Cryptic makes that extra effort into changing your opinion of "Probably does happen." into "Definately does happen. Every time."?

Is that unreasonable?
Well, I only say "probably" because I don't listen to the podcasts, so I don't know whether the information disseminated there is also disseminated elsewhere. I do know that, if it were my job, I'd collect all of the pertinent information and write it up with references to the relevant source. But that's me.

Seems though, that someone took one for the team and condensed the relevant info from the interview:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments...ch_livestream/

See my suggestions to revamp playable factions at: FACTION REVAMP: A PROPOSAL TO CRYPTIC STUDIOS
Career Officer
# 87
07-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Quote:
And if that television network does not provide closed captioning, then not only do they open themselves up to public scrutiny -- the people who associate with that network (including the person/people being interviewed) similarly open themselves up, including the advertisers and sponsors of that network.

More importantly, there is somebody above it all, behind the scenes, who gives the greenlight for an interview. That person is Public Relations.

If they schedule and greenlight these things, part of that decision making should always include, "Is this information hitting everybody it should?"

"If it doesn't? Why?"

"If we know why, what can we do to ensure it does?"

"If we know what can be done, why aren't we doing so?"

Right, but it's then the television station/channel to rectify that error. Like, if I'm being interviewed by my local TV station for something (maybe for my tournament win) and they don't provide the closed captioning, is it then my fault and responsibility to go to the television station and then make the closed captioning? No, it's the television station's duty to do that. I doubt they would even let me go back and subtitle the footage they took of me.

All in all, Cryptic is the interviewee in a podcast. The podcasters themselves are the television station doing the interviewing.

Now if you want the timing of information from podcasts to coincide better with official announcements from Cryptic on their own media assets, sure. I'm down with that. But I don't agree with you that they have to write the transcript of an interview someone does of them.

Edit: What that Public Relations person is probably doing is providing guidelines: "You may say or not say these things that would either benefit or not harm this company." They too are not responsible for providing a transcript. They can be charitable but not ultimately responsible.
Member since November 2009... I think.
(UFP) Ragnarök Fleet - Logistics Division Vice Admiral T'Phira; Captain Selena; Captain Altecha; Captain K'Kera; Lieutenant Aydihe Tefx; Subcommander S'ena
(KDF) Lieutenant General Vokno (aka Lady Vokno); Lieutenant General Raylene
Captain
# 88
07-16-2014, 12:56 PM
While the law in the US may require captioning/etc for TV...the bill to require that for internet broadcasts from back in 2008-2009 went nowhere. NAD is still pushing for it, but...outside of government agencies that have to do it regard, it's not going anywhere.

"Wheeeee, this is kind of fun. Oopsie...my bad."
Fleet Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
Endless, Hazari Destroyer
Survivor of Romulus
# 89
07-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddmoonrizin View Post
Again, the thing we don't know for sure is whether this same information given during an audio interview does or does not get released by Cryptic via text elsewhere.
I suggest PWE/Cryptic changes the way they handle the distribution of information so that the whole "Don't know for sure." ambiguity becomes "We know for sure."

Quote:
Well, I only say "probably" because I don't listen to the podcasts, so I don't know whether the information disseminated there is also disseminated elsewhere.
Nor do I. Nor do a lot of other players. Which is why I argue for this to change, and change in a meaningful way.

Quote:
I do know that, if it were my job, I'd collect all of the pertinent information and write it up with references to the relevant source. But that's me.
Likewise, if it were my job. That I got paid to do.

What's important is somebody does have that job that isn't you or me, but this either isn't part of their job -- or whoever pays them has decided it's not part of their job.

What's even more important is that not only is someone not doing their job to the best of their ability, but they're going the extra mile by shifting blame to something outside of their direct control.

Quote:
Seems though, that someone took one for the team and condensed the relevant info from the interview:

http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments...ch_livestream/
Now if that was put on the STO forums in an official capacity, and part of standard procedure... I think my complaints regarding that particular issue would stop.
Commander
# 90
07-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Now if that was put on the STO forums in an official capacity, and part of standard procedure... I think my complaints regarding that particular issue would stop.
That's really all people are asking for. Don't need every single word transcribed from a Podcast. Just the relevant information that pertains to the game itself. It needs to be written down, and posted in an official capacity on an official page (this website, preferably)