Lt. Commander
Fire At Will
A rather easy fix for this would be to allow to affect all beams for a duration, and have each pulse attack a random target within range.

Since it was brought up I should post what said power do at this time. So here we go.
Fire at Will is a single bank, single pulse cycle (though I hear more from friends at higher BO slots) that fires randomly. Sadly I can do this FASTER than FAW can just by smashing my TAB key a few times (in response to the L2P poster)

Beam Overload.
This skill however took me a little bit to get a good solid fix for, Get rid of it, Remove Energy Modulation from Engineering, Rename it to Variable Beam Frequency, make it affect ALL beams, increase dmg output by similar amount of rapid fire(well not similar per say, but it should increase weapon dmg and have a higher bleed-through effect) and give it same durations and call it a day. (Beam boats already have a hard enough time keeping energy up as it were anyways.

Beam Overload currently does a single shot for about 2k and then drains ALL power from your weapons power bank, and shuts down the arrays TYPE that fired ye ole Overload. (rank 1, but it scales some)

This is an Idea thread, not a flame me thread. Put in your 2 cents but lets put some thought into it to make beams at least pretend to keep up with cannoneers.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 06:07 AM
no offense but you might want to also include the reasoning as to WHY the 2 need fixing, just to clarify exactly what aspect is being tinkered here before going on straight towards 'get rid of this, get rid of that' which is difficult to swallow without some sort of justification and explanation.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melcyna View Post
no offense but you might want to also include the reasoning as to WHY the 2 need fixing, just to clarify exactly what aspect is being tinkered here before going on straight towards 'get rid of this, get rid of that' which is difficult to swallow without some sort of justification and explanation.
Fire at will is pointless due to the fact that it randomly can shoot at any target so wont help killing your current one in most cases.

Beam Overload needs a boost in damage to bring it online with cannon rapid fire.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jounar View Post
Fire at will is pointless due to the fact that it randomly can shoot at any target so wont help killing your current one in most cases..
I love how few people actually realise how FIre at Will works.
Its not SUPPOSED to add DPS, thats what overload is for.
FAW is a direct countermeasure for Mines, Energy syphons, Photon Torpedoes, and anything else that is targettable and dies in 1 hit.
The only thing to keep in mind is that it targets the nearest enemy and works its way outward in a 360' arc so timing is sometimes key.

That and it works great as an aggro-grabber for PVE

tl;dr: Works just fine, L2P, etc
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Nothing wrong with beam overload.. Just make sure you use it on a Dual Beam Bank and it will make pretty numbers on hull, anyway its designed for burst damage.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2010, 05:41 PM
I hit for 7k earlier with Beam Overload using the dual anti-protons .

Just make sure you hit an unshielded part of the ship and have full power to weapons.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2010, 10:29 PM
I like the idea of fixing fire at will, it would be nice to be able to get more than a few mines with one use. Personally I think it should just be a mode that you could toggle on and off if your BO has the skill, though I think that about a lot of things.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc4175 View Post
I hit for 7k earlier with Beam Overload using the dual anti-protons .

Just make sure you hit an unshielded part of the ship and have full power to weapons.
right and while your 1 shot did 7k, my dual heavy pols did 10-15k on unshielded in half the time it takes for you to recharge your weapons and I still have 3-4 shots to go. I get that cannons are to do more 'dps' but beams aint go nothing going for them, The arc is nice, but even firing 8 beams broadside running full blu eps I couldn't do the dps of 3 heavy duals. I have both setups, have tested it. All I am looking for is either make the thing last longer, so we can get a Cycle of pulses, or a complete overhaul. Right now as it stands if you can chose between cannons and beams cannons are the way to go.

The flaw sadly lies in the pulse cycle setup of beams in and of themselves, keep the pulse cycles, thats fine, but bring the BO abilities in line some.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by narceisis View Post
Fire At Will
A rather easy fix for this would be to allow to affect all beams for a duration, and have each pulse attack a random target within range.
This is what it did in Beta. Was "fixed" to the current version. I'm guessing the devs do not care for the idea of the power getting more powerful just because you have more beams equipped. Which is understandable. Though I do miss the light show of beams flying in every direction.

The main problem I have with it is that 4 targets isn't enough. It just needs to fire a few more beams. Maybe impacting 2 arrays rather than one or just the first 6 beam pulses, rather than 1 array. So with a 6 beam broadside, it'll fire at 6 random targets on the first pulse, while the remaining 3 per array will act normally. With 3 beam arrays, it'll randomize the first 2 pulses, the last 2 acting normally.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2010, 11:59 PM
An easy solution would be to have fire at will just act as a beam version of cannon rapid fire.