Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
02-14-2010, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
According to Random House Dictionary a costumer is: A person who makes, sells, or rents costumes, as for theatrical productions.

According to American Heritage Dictionary a costumer is: One that makes or supplies costumes, as for plays or masquerades.

What do you want to bet the Oxford English Dictionary concurs?
This post wins lol. I began thinking of costumes...and then clowns...and all manners of silly ass things...and then just began laughing to myself {well out loud actually}.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
02-14-2010, 04:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinZun View Post
Your point being?
At least, with CCP/Eve you can put your clockwork to the test with their DT. And it's only an hour, daily. This differs from STO/Cryptic greatly: inaccurate downtimes - even the scheduled ones fall short or start earlier then depicted no to mention being unable to connect at times. I do hope Cryptic will find an answer to theses issues, but until they do, I'll find my joy somewhere else.

SOE has different servers for USA and Europe. For Europe, they go down for maintenance around 0400-0600am GMT once or twice a week (when most of us Europeans are sleeping)... Good choice!

SOE is not perfect, but they understand that with an MMO 24/7 economy/support is a necessity.
And how many years has EVE been running? What do you want to bet that EVE had a lot of server stability issues when it first came out?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
02-14-2010, 04:53 AM
It's as if the developers weren't sure if an American IP would sell as well overseas and are waiting for retail numbers to come back before considering localization issues...

... and a good portion of Europe doesn't seem to be having your problem....

...and I was a gamer in Slovakia - things worked there and it wasn't the Western Europe/Nordic super-fast speeds people expect.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
02-14-2010, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJerry
Doesnt excuse them for selling a poor quality game.
But advertising it as the best thing since sliced bread? :')
Personally I don't think the quality of the game is bad at all. I'm enjoying it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJerry
MMO's (in general) shouldnt cost anything.. after all you're asked to gamble.
To purchase something before you even know if it will work as it should or not.

But okay thats a different topic entirely i suppose.
The whole point of gambleing is to pay out money before knowing what you will recieve. For real gambling (ie casino's or poker or what ever) this is exactly what you do...and you more often than not won't get any return at all.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
02-14-2010, 04:55 AM
edited .
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
02-14-2010, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norikor View Post
And how many years has EVE been running? What do you want to bet that EVE had a lot of server stability issues when it first came out?
It did. I started playing EVE in 2004, and it was common then, about 9-12 months after release, for the server to go down on Sunday afternoon due to load (yes, they expanded the servers to deal with it eventually).

The reason why EVE is relevant is because like STO EVE (1) has one worldwide cluster, (2) has an international audience speaking many languages on one server cluster. Hence, the comparisons to STO for this specific issue are valid -- in fact pretty much the only comparison that can be made, as far as I am aware.

EVE holds its DT at the same time. Yes, it's less than an hour, but the DT here will be, too, once the server issues are sorted out. And, yes, that doesn't mean it's ok to bring ths server down multiple times during one weekend day, but EVE had this, too, with its one server architecture, well past the first year, due to load issues.

EVE also has non-English speaking communities -- large ones. They form their own PAs (Red Alliance, anyone?). But one thing they don't do is endlessly moan and whine about the DT being in the middle of the day in Europe.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
02-14-2010, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodzero View Post
Won't ,and i just did
"Won't" my buttocks. Name me just one company that isn't out to make money. Just one.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
02-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkiver View Post
1) I don't have any latency as high as you, and I'm in Ireland.

2) Well it's a US company where they work, and I'd hardly call getting your staff in at 0300-0500 convenient. Hell it's only for 2 hours. Go out for a walk. Ring your folks and tell them you love them.

3) Well let's see. Game made by a company that predominantly speaks English, hosted in an English speaking company in an English speaking country. See where I am going.

You can want an EU server till the cows some home. But what language, there is more then Spanish French and German in Europe (fun fact, Poland and Russia have larger gaming populations these days so companies are looking to make games in those languages too).

If you want to have a hissy fit go ahead, just get your facts straight.
+1.

Also an Irish player, also not having that sort of latency. In fact, I often get higher latency playing WoW, on a European server.

11am to 1pm GMT weekdays is pretty ideal scheduled downtime for me. If it happens at the weekend - meh, I'll make lunch. Weekend downtime won't be regular after the first month or so. Unscheduled downtime is a different matter - but then, it's *unscheduled*.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
02-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevara
"Won't" my buttocks. Name me just one company that isn't out to make money. Just one.
Philip Morris(they fight cancer a lot NOW)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
02-14-2010, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJerry
So stop playing/paying.

I did.. im happy.
This isnt an mmo anyways.
(okay other people fly around in it but its more like a co-op singleplayer at best)

Its got ****** very badly uninspired quests save for literally a handful of quests.
PvP is fun but after 30minutes you've pretty much seen it all.

Little customization.. and what you can customize doesnt even matter or is of no real significance.

I think the only reason this game has so many "fanboys" is cause they all waited so terribly long for an ST mmo. (i was one of them for a while there)

Which only surprises me more that there are actually people defending this extremely poorly excecuted mmo called startrek online.
If you stopped playing then please stop posting. Insulting anyone who likes the games just because you don't doesn't make you cool...it makes you a hypocrite.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:34 AM.