Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
There's all these threads about OP abilities and cry's for the nerf bat. Well I'm going to cry for the buff bat because when I see any of these powers being used by the other team I know my team is in great shape:

Beam fire at will
Torpedo spread
Cannon Scatter volley
Dispersal Pattern X
EPtAux
Aux to batteries
Directed energy modulation (except for maybe DEM III)
Pretty much any lt level engineering skill that isn't Reverse or extend shield
Transfer shield strength
Any level of tractor beam beyond mk I (yes I love tractors beam I'm specced for it but has anyone else noticed that II and II are no better than I?)
Energy Siphon
Gravity well
Photonic Shock wave

Are there any uber weak abilities out there I missed? Anything else you all see that make you smile because you know you're playing a noob? Anyone disagree with any of these? Can you tell me how you make use of what I consider to be subpar skills?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sresk View Post
There's all these threads about OP abilities and cry's for the nerf bat. Well I'm going to cry for the buff bat because when I see any of these powers being used by the other team I know my team is in great shape:

Beam fire at will
Torpedo spread
Cannon Scatter volley
Dispersal Pattern X
EPtAux
Aux to batteries
Transfer shield strength
Any level of tractor beam beyond mk I (yes I love tractors beam I'm specced for it but has anyone else noticed that II and II are no better than I?)
Energy Siphon
Gravity well
Photonic Shock wave

Are there any uber weak abilities out there I missed? Anything else you all see that make you smile because you know you're playing a noob? Anyone disagree with any of these? Can you tell me how you make use of what I consider to be subpar skills?
My only hope is that when they start nerfing other abilities that they also buff some of these mediocre skills. In particular, Energy siphon and gravity well have a lot of potential.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I would add Jam Sensors myself. It just takes one hit of science team to undo it. Though it does make me use science team which would be better saved for boosting my shields.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-16-2010, 04:08 PM
You got at least 3 of those pretty badly wrong. I won't explain.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
You got at least 3 of those pretty badly wrong. I won't explain.
well then you're worthless to the community go troll else where
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:

Beam fire at will
Torpedo spread
Cannon Scatter volley
Dispersal Pattern X
EPtAux
Aux to batteries
Transfer shield strength
Energy Siphon
Gravity well
Photonic Shock wave

Transfer Shield strength is an obvious one that you got wrong. Emergency to Aux=major turning buff. In the hands of a good player this has the potential to be very useful. Also can be very useful in the hands of a good science ship captain (When combined with VM, Subnucleonic beam, Tykens rift, Tractor Beam, Tractor Beam repulsors, Tachyon beam, to name a few).
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoOverdose View Post
Transfer Shield strength is an obvious one that you got wrong. Emergency to Aux=major turning buff. In the hands of a good player this has the potential to be very useful. Also can be very useful in the hands of a good science ship captain (When combined with VM, Subnucleonic beam, Tykens rift, Tractor Beam, Tractor Beam repulsors, Tachyon beam, to name a few).
Transfer shield strength is significantly weaker than science team. And even with a 20 GCD 2 sets of science team would be better and more effective than science + transfer. (you may be confusing this with the engineering skill extend shields which is a godly power) Transfer sheild does about 80% of the healing of a science team spread over a duration of time and stops you from attacking while you're casting it. and it doesn't have any of the debuff removal power of science team.

As to EPtAux... EPt Sheilds adds sheild strength + damage + resistance + shield power. Aux only adds Aux power. Of the powers you listed the only two that are effected by aux that are worth using in PvP are Sub nuc beam and tykens II. And the minimal amount of gain you get from EPtAux might add 2 seconds to you sub nuc, and 100 aux is already going to drain enough power with tykens to drop their power below 0. VM is unaffected by Aux. and my tractor mk I with 25 aux (ends up around 40ish) already brings the target to a dead stop how can they be more stopped? So how is another +14-20 aux power really going to help me as a science captain? And you're asking me to give up either EPtS or Engineering team for that? I stand by EPtAux being grossly underpowered.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Transfer shield strength is significantly weaker than science team. And even with a 20 GCD 2 sets of science team would be better and more effective than science + transfer. (you may be confusing this with the engineering skill extend shields which is a godly power) Transfer sheild does about 80% of the healing of a science team spread over a duration of time and stops you from attacking while you're casting it. and it doesn't have any of the debuff removal power of science team.

As to EPtAux... EPt Sheilds adds sheild strength + damage + resistance + shield power. Aux only adds Aux power. Of the powers you listed the only two that are effected by aux that are worth using in PvP are Sub nuc beam and tykens II. And the minimal amount of gain you get from EPtAux might add 2 seconds to you sub nuc, and 100 aux is already going to drain enough power with tykens to drop their power below 0. VM is unaffected by Aux. and my tractor mk I with 25 aux (ends up around 40ish) already brings the target to a dead stop how can they be more stopped? So how is another +14-20 aux power really going to help me as a science captain? And you're asking me to give up either EPtS or Engineering team for that? I stand by EPtAux being grossly underpowered.
At 125 aux, you can get something on the order of 40 second Subnuc's. Emergency power to aux allows a science ship captain to run shields and weapons at higher power levels throughout combat and then, when they need that quick, high aux, they can go from 60-70 Aux to 125 without sacrificing offense or defense power levels. Furthermore, the turning buff alone may be worth the skill slot for any ship, especially since most ships run at low aux by default. It's basically evasive maneuvers without the speed buff. You can literally fly in close circles around some one keeping your best weapon arcs on them while staying out of their best weapon arcs.

Also, isn't Transfer Shields better than sci team (for direct healing) with a high aux? I might be wrong on that skill though (but I know a lot of people use emergency to aux for the turning buff alone, since most combat ships tend to run at 25-50 aux the E to aux can really help). Also, faster turning=better tanking because you can change facing shield arcs faster. On a galaxy class, for example, E to aux might be better than E to shields for this reason alone.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Transfer shield strength is often not used as Extend shields works better imo without need to **** about.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2010, 05:24 PM
wheres BOARDING PARTY?!

edit: I think the third is different levels of extend or reverse shields, since they can stack (reduce downtime)