03-30-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadWulf
Go play **** for a bit then come back and tell me about reptitive
Did you max **** in 80hrs gameplay
Lt. Commander
# 13
04-04-2010, 12:08 PM
The problem is, that even though even WoW was repetitive in the beginning, they've really stepped up on content - what I've seen - and added a lot more variation. I'm not gonna play WoW though, because that fantasy crap is getting old.

STO is nice and has variation in the major themes: space and away mission. I even like the away missions. But some of the away missions take place in the exact same location - how many times have you seen that asteroid base with the turquoise-white color scheme? I agree that the planets on exploration duty are varied and cool, but we never get to spend much time on them, or return to them; it's scan and/or kill and then it's back to space travel.

Besides, the problem is, if you're looking to emulate WoW, you'll always produce something that emulates WoW. By taking risks on new game ideas, concepts and development, new things emerge in the gaming industry. I'd rather have played a bad game with refreshing new ideas, than be disappointed by a by-the-book WoW-wannabe.

So far, though, I'm giving Cryptic the benefit of the doubt. STO has the potential to be an excellent game. I've met a whole bunch of interesting RPG-players, who all can come up with better ideas than those currently present in the game. But I can't rest the play-ability of a game on the shoulders of my fellow players forever...
Lt. Commander
# 14
04-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Even by MMO's standards, STO is repetitive.
This^
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigBadWulf
Go play **** for a bit then come back and tell me about reptitive
Do people still play ****?
STO > **** only because you dont need 20 babysitters to take you out leveling in STO.
But, in repetitiveness, STO = ****.
**** had no excuse either. They had been out for a year before the US launch, and still had no content.
Lt. Commander
# 15 Agree to the boredom
04-08-2010, 09:48 AM
I didn't even last to the end of my 30 days included gametime when I bought the game before I became highly bored. The game is incredibly repetitive and I find it terribly boring. I almost feel cheated to have spent any money just buying the game. I'm obviously somewhat biased after playing World of ******** for years. I expected a much better tuned game with unique missions.
Lt. Commander
# 16
04-08-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace.Terrik View Post
The problem is, that even though even WoW was repetitive in the beginning, they've really stepped up on content - what I've seen - and added a lot more variation. I'm not gonna play WoW though, because that fantasy crap is getting old.
Comparisons to WoW are meaningless. It's over 5 years old and has nearly limitless resources.

Oh, and I left WoW for STO largely because the engame in WoW is so repetitive that I eventually got bored.(Grind honor, grind emblems, repeat the same boss fights ad infinitum.) This will happen in any game, and it makes sense it willl happen much faster in a new game that has far less content to repeat.

On the other hand, STO is conceptually fresh in many ways and can develop into something much richer than it seems now, but the nature of any MMO I've ever seen has been repitition.

If you love MMOs, then I recommend variation...play 2 or more and don't try to make 1 your life.
Lt. Commander
The missions are way too repetitive. I don't think that they're bad by themselves, but I want more diversity. It seems like regardless of the field you choose you end up in combat. Why not some puzzles or problem solving things for engineers, or discover artifacts from a dead civilization or cure a plague for the science officers?

My character is a science officer and I'm really disappointed I'm not doing any real sort of first contact missions, or puzzles to fix the fused warp coils, or investigate the ancient Gorn ancestors that we keep hearing about on and off in our patrol missions.

So can we hope for you to through the Engineers and Scientists a bone or two?
Lt. Commander
# 18
04-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Ground missions: Theyre alright, kinda boring constantly pressing 1 to fire, 2 every now and again, watching the klingons health bar go down bit by bit. Watching them fly around due to lag or some weird bugs, hell Just watching them stand there while your whole team is stood nearby, it's all fun.

Space missions: Now, we cant complain here, can we? I mean again we're pressing 1 to fire phaser, 2 to fire torpedo, Alt 2 to set up a spread, 2 to fire it, Watching the health bar go down bit by bit on a battleship which i'm Hugging with my cruiser, Drinking a cup of tea while my ship takes an hour to turn so i can fire again, Come on. This is fun right?

The missions are mind numbingly repetitive. I'm guessing the aim is to make everyone as emotionless as the Borg by the time they have went from ensign to RA5.

Lt. Commander
# 19
04-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevscar View Post
Did you max **** in 80hrs gameplay
No because I was one of the few who actually did it AT the keyboard ^^

But it was just a boring old grindfest, and the pvp while fun didn't make up for it.

All MMO's are just the same old crap over and over end game anyway, STO just has less of it, I'm still having fun tho.