Career Officer
# 21
07-18-2014, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
You may not have liked it, but I still love the Dyson Sphere. I don't get why a handful of players are so uptight about the Voth using bio-engineered Dinosaurs. It fits thematically, and on the grand scale of oddness in Trek, it's pretty near the bottom.
more like scraping the bottom of the scud pool, but whatever on our choices, the point is that it was not what was expected despite the hopes at first.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Career Officer
# 22
07-18-2014, 06:47 AM
Personally I think this is a great game. Sure it can use improvements like anything else in life but I do appreciate the Dev work and what the game contains so far. It can get a little grindy if you want the high end stuff no doubt and the crafting system appears to be a system to keep you logging in for months in order to get to the top. But aren't all MMO's set up this way?

Overall right now what the game needs for 2.0 is exploration/story based missions.
http://www.libertytaskforce.com
Commander
# 23
07-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfoxjames View Post
Personally I think this is a great game. Sure it can use improvements like anything else in life but I do appreciate the Dev work and what the game contains so far. It can get a little grindy if you want the high end stuff no doubt and the crafting system appears to be a system to keep you logging in for months in order to get to the top. But aren't all MMO's set up this way?

Overall right now what the game needs for 2.0 is exploration/story based missions.
Agreed on all points. The exploration system was ok, just not varied enough. If they can get some sort of procedurally-generated content that's more varied and interesting, exploration will be great.

Story is another matter, too labour intensive I think. The dev team for STO doesn't seem to be big enough to do much in the way of story very regularly, just now and then. When they do do story, it's good, but I don't think we'll see much in the way of those long storylines like we used to ever again.

STO isn't exactly on a skeleton crew, but we've got to face facts that it's no longer a top priority for Cryptic. I bet you they're already mostly working on their next MMO; but given that, I think STO is doing fine, and I'm sure 2 will have lots of cool things, as well as a few things for people to complain about!
Captain
# 24
07-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceeagle20 View Post
Krenim lock box, CARDassian faction
Considering they won out on a poll of whom we'd like to encounter, I doubt that there will be a KRENIM lock box. As for a Cardassian faction, they stated that it's too soon for another faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
LOR was unofficially a season 7.5. and im not going on about LoR, but season 8 with the dinosaurs. i bet a lot stated that season 8 was going to be mega, its going to be the future of gaming a "cornerstone" of modern STO play and what did we get a few months later? dinosaurs with freaking lasers on their heads... seriously?!!

what i mean to state is that the devs recently have had some really crappy design choices they added since LoR, getting some details first would give everyone a basis of what is coming.
I think they're with holding details on us primarily because the Expansion is big. Remember the hush hush we got from the devs in the months leading up to the expansion's announcement? This time we know the Expansion is coming, but they're once again being hushed from saying anything until it's time. Considering that Las Vegas convention is in 2 weeks, I think they were leading up to that moment. Once we do arrive at the dev panel there, a lot of juicy details will start pouring in.
Captain
# 25
07-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta50024 View Post
I think they're with holding details on us primarily because the Expansion is big. Remember the hush hush we got from the devs in the months leading up to the expansion's announcement? This time we know the Expansion is coming, but they're once again being hushed from saying anything until it's time. Considering that Las Vegas convention is in 2 weeks, I think they were leading up to that moment. Once we do arrive at the dev panel there, a lot of juicy details will start pouring in.

This... I hope to see some details about X2 in Vegas ... Can't wait...

Also, peeps be nice on the OP... he was no predicting the future rather, hoping for a better future, after all, aint that what we "ALL" want and need right now, with 9.5 released???
AKA "Comrademoco"
Follow me on: Twitter - Raptr - Google+ - Arc
My Gallery: Imgur
Captain
# 26
07-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo View Post
Awesome it will be, I say.

How do I know? I conclude it from the fact that apparently, most of the dev staff is working on it. Comparatively few resources went into 9.5 (not to be little those efforts, but it is just visible that the devs were trying to be economical here).

That and knowing what the team pulled off in past seasons, and with the LoR expansion, makes me very optimistic.

What will it be? I don't know. But some kind of exploration seems like a safe bet, doesn't it. More Delta quadrant sector maps? Probably.

Of course, there will also be another lockbox. Delta-quadrant-themed. Borg? Krenim? Who knows.

Anway, I'm looking foward to it! And you?
Depends on what the devs think "exploration" is.
Most of us think about random generated missions, maybe a seamless universe filled with planets and other stuff. Only Q knows what the devs think.

Personally i don't expect anything great anymore. Most of the time even hoping that something decent will be released turned out to be disappointing to me.

LoR was fine if you wanted to play a Romulan (i did), but what's next Cardassians, the Dominion or even Borg? I'm not interested in playing them, so in my experience it won't be something breathtaking anyways. (sorry for being "not - excited" )
"...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--"
- Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie
Survivor of Romulus
# 27
07-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta50024 View Post
Considering they won out on a poll of whom we'd like to encounter, I doubt that there will be a KRENIM lock box. As for a Cardassian faction, they stated that it's too soon for another faction.
lol We already have a lockbox from everyone we encounter. Krenim Lockbox - it's happening.
Captain
# 28
07-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
I'm pretty sure Expansion 2 is going to be impressive.
Q will handle this
Republic Veteran
# 29
07-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
yeah? prove it.

also i bet those same types of voices said the same about season 8 too.

first things first before you start shouting the party line like some sycophant, some details are needed.
I gotta ask to prove it to! I mean if so much of the dev team is working so hard on it then why havent we gotten a single detail on it yet? I mean I don't think it has even been confirmed if it is truly the delta quadrant or not. They said this year and the year is almost over...unless they start teasing in the next few weeks I'm gonna wonder if they have time to properly test it...
Career Officer
# 30
07-18-2014, 12:45 PM
well i certainly hope so.. its been a long while since this game has gotten good content.. (and lor is not considered good content, hell, to almost every other games standards, it wasn't even an expansion...)..

that being said..

just because they have lots of dev resources involved in the expansion does not mean it will be good. something can look polished and shiny, but still suck..

expanding on that, the very definition of an expansion in mmo games, is expanding all parts of the game.. its basically a re release of the core game, but expanding on it.. there is a reason why most companies do not just throw the word expansion on everything..

in my eyes, and others I have talked to, lor fell way way way short of being an expansion, so my hopes are dwindled that cryptic is not quite sure how to make/ or what an expansion even really is.

im gonna guess that there will be a few cool things to come in the expansion, but that like almost all their other content releases, it will fall short of living up to the hype, or the expecations.. lor certainly did not.. sure, if you wanted to play a romulan (that was nothing like the romulans we all fell in love with from the show), it was great, to everyone else though, the expansion did little to forward the game play, or give us something new to do.. that is not an expansion..

an expansion expands game play for all, usually builds on top of most to all aspects of the current game, and usually gives a good 4-6 months worth of stuff to play with. cryptics last expansion lasted less than 2 weeks with most people (as the sudden flow to the servers slowed and died down.).

but time will tell. I always am optimistic till info on it starts pouring out, then I usually am disappointed..