Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt_LSF
You aren't playing a "good" Borg, you're playing a liberated Borg...
Point well taken, from my perspective. I managed to skim past that.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-14-2010, 08:13 AM
I say just forget the idea of playing a natzi, I mean if you take out al that makes it natzi and replace it with the elements of starfleet that makes you starfleet... you arn't a natzi so why bother even bringing it up?, you are starfleet end of story all the past blah blah blah is already gone.

it's not the same as playing a borg, or a orion, the reclaimed borg is like Seven of Nine, she was not borg anymore infact there was a few epesodes that challencged that thought in her, are you or are you not borg, and she claims NO I am human.

and I wantta make a borg, grr heh
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt_LSF
You aren't playing a "good" Borg, you're playing a liberated Borg. As in you were assimilated, then just like Picard and Seven of Nine, disconnected from the Collective and most or all of your implants removed. That's a far cry from Nazis who do exist and stand for hate and bigotry in the real world.

While I seriously doubt anybody would cry foul if your character backstory explained your intense hatred of Klingons or Cardassians or Romulans. It is canon after all - Kirk, Worf, O'Brien, even Picard and his hatred of the Borg. I highly suggest you leave the real-world politics out of the game.
and yet we are talking about a alien race who only shares a history similar to Earth, what we can't play a objectionable fictional race.

Good to know, now cryptic doesn't need to add dthe Romulan or Cardasian factions as playable races
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiSilver
Well thing is.. I dont realy like Vulcans. Sure Spock was an entertaining character, but i have pretty much the same problem with Vulcans as i have with Jedis in Star Wars. You cant be "Good" if you lack feelings as much as the are suppose to do. "Logical" decitions are often far from "Good" decitions. Rather the contrary. Life is harsh, hard and cruel when you break it down, and it is thanks to wild shots, guesses and foolhardy decitions that we make it worth living for. logical choises are often "evil" even if i dislike using that term. Shall we save the old and sick? No, that is illogical. They will only burden the society. unless they have knowledge we need. But then the priority isnt to keep them alive, rather extract the knowledge. shall we go to war with this peaceloving planet? Logically yes, if they have resorces we need. since they do not know war, the victory is almost certain, and we will benefit more from exterminating the other race, than sharing the planet with them. Unless, again they have something We need and cannot get ourselves.

That is logic for you. Thus i do not like races who bace their thinking around logic instead of feelings. sure feelings have downsides, aggression, envy, hate. But we need those too. Those without feelings have something much worse. Ambivalence ībefore life. Statistics before love and passion.
but i have ranted on enough about that.
What you could do is play a Vulcan hybrid. Spock wasn't the only one, Saavik was half Romulan/half Vulcan. Her teachings in Logic came from Spock much later in her life than a Vulcan child would have. You could even play it as a Romulan hybrid, tossing Logic to the wind and embracing emotion and all the foibles that come with it. With the short peace that existed between Nemesis and the Hobus supernova, it is feasible that there were more couplings between humans and Romulans, or even other races.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Well my friends. Thread sucessfull.
As stated, i wanted to see if people wold take it the wrong way. people do. And as stated i do not want to offend people, so i will drop the idea, even though i stil claim it is an interesting idea. Thank you all for allowing me to take your time.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamiSilver
Well thing is.. I dont realy like Vulcans. Sure Spock was an entertaining character, but i have pretty much the same problem with Vulcans as i have with Jedis in Star Wars. You cant be "Good" if you lack feelings as much as the are suppose to do. "Logical" decitions are often far from "Good" decitions. Rather the contrary. Life is harsh, hard and cruel when you break it down, and it is thanks to wild shots, guesses and foolhardy decitions that we make it worth living for. logical choises are often "evil" even if i dislike using that term. Shall we save the old and sick? No, that is illogical. They will only burden the society. unless they have knowledge we need. But then the priority isnt to keep them alive, rather extract the knowledge. shall we go to war with this peaceloving planet? Logically yes, if they have resorces we need. since they do not know war, the victory is almost certain, and we will benefit more from exterminating the other race, than sharing the planet with them. Unless, again they have something We need and cannot get ourselves.

That is logic for you. Thus i do not like races who bace their thinking around logic instead of feelings. sure feelings have downsides, aggression, envy, hate. But we need those too. Those without feelings have something much worse. Ambivalence ībefore life. Statistics before love and passion.
but i have ranted on enough about that.
So your Romulan, Passion governed by Logic?
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-14-2010, 08:20 AM
rather romulan than vulcan, and rather Dark Forece user than Jedi

well if i cant play a nazi i'll play the worlds second most hated people. A russian! XD
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-14-2010, 08:21 AM
However it seems i wont be playing much at all today... realy STO, couldnt you choose another day to commit Harakiri?
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekollx View Post
and yet we are talking about a alien race who only shares a history similar to Earth, what we can't play a objectionable fictional race.

Good to know, now cryptic doesn't need to add dthe Romulan or Cardasian factions as playable races
There's a difference between fictional racism and hatred, and real hatred and racism. Nazism is real, and even though Roddenberry used it as a plot device, I for one don't think it belongs in STO. If you want to play a Nazi that's your call, but don't be surprised at the backlash that I am sure will ensue.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-14-2010, 08:24 AM
As stated, Ekosians arent evil and hating. Thats their history thanks to one man. Nazi was just a theme. They are in fact good guys.
Closed Thread