Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Starfleet Veteran
In the old days I remember the Devs posting a lot more than they do now. Sometimes they posted stuff that we liked, sometimes they posted stuff that we didn't, but their presence was felt, especially around releases, be they major or minor releases.

I appreciated that. It felt like they cared. When they posted on threads regarding things that were outright broken THAT'S when their posts really mattered. It let us know that they're aware of the issue and they're working on it. To me, knowing they were on to it made me feel like a fix was only around the corner.

These days I never see Devs post, nor do I see them in game. To me, this is a really bad thing. To my mind it shows that the Devs are separating themselves from the player base. To my mind it encourages an us vs them mentality that can't be good for the game, no matter how you slice it.

These days we see more posts by the moderators. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the job that these people do. It's thankless and time consuming but they power on. (Thank you, moderators, in case nobody has thanked you yet.) That being said, there are some things that the moderators are unable to do, like comment on issues and glitches and releases.

Devs, you really need to start interacting with the player base more. You don't have to be in every thread, posting with a little more regularity would make your presence feel known and let us feel like we're being heard. When something makes the game unplayable for any section of the player base then that should MANDATE a post.

Adding (INVESTIGATING) to the title of threads? I'm sorry, that's slackness that tells us nothing. You could be INVESTIGATING something for a year for all we know.

I won't be playing the game for a while now. Not because I'm upset or pi$$ed off, but rather the Mac resolution issue that is being (INVESTIGATING) makes the game unplayable. How long will I be unable to play for? Who knows. The moderators can't help, other people in the forums can't help, only the devs can. A single dev comment could set everyone's minds at ease. Until then I can only imagine how long that will be.
Captain
# 2
07-18-2014, 06:02 AM
There is nothing mysterious about the missing devs. When a devs says that they plan to add this feature and are called liars by the players for it not showing up, then the devs are less likely to post. When players insult devs for adding something to the game, then the devs are less likely to post. The players have driven off most of the devs from communicating more openly.

The investigating title means that the devs are aware about the problem and are likely fixing it, but can't tell us any more about it. If the devs said that they plan on getting it fixed by next week, then the players will attack them if they don't get it fixed on time. So they are damned if they do communicate and damned if they don't communicate.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-18-2014, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
In the old days I remember the Devs posting a lot more than they do now. Sometimes they posted stuff that we liked, sometimes they posted stuff that we didn't, but their presence was felt, especially around releases, be they major or minor releases.

Way to much too quote sorry, any-ways if i remember right season eight had a huge issue also think it took them ... what was it 2 weeks to get the game running again for me and a ton of other people. And then they didn't post updates worth a ----- sorry to hear you and other mac users are having issues but with luck and a little patience "AND MAYBE AN UPDATE FROM CRYPTIC/PWE"

Good luck to ya....
Captain
# 4
07-18-2014, 06:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Not because I'm upset or pi$$ed off, but rather the Mac resolution issue that is being (INVESTIGATING) makes the game unplayable.

If I were you I'd count my blessings ... .

... unless Doffing is not your thing , in which case , business as usual ...
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Captain
# 5
07-18-2014, 09:41 AM
There seems to a correlation between Dev communication and PWE. Once PWE came in it got less and less. At first PWE was simply a new, faceless landlord. Then they slowly started making their changes. All forums must be the same for all their games so our fourms get a needless overhaul and then it was a drip, drip drip from there while they made change after change.

IMO it has nothing to do with the Devs but PWE and their policies.

Take the new horrible DOFF UI. A couple of years ago the dev would be in the chat channel getting out feedback and tweaking this or that rather than just changing things to change them.

A couple of years ago I could have told you who was reposnible for what Today aside from knowing Taco does the graphics, I couldn't tell you who was in charge of anything.
Community Moderator
# 6
07-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelchenchuan View Post
There seems to a correlation between Dev communication and PWE. Once PWE came in it got less and less. At first PWE was simply a new, faceless landlord. Then they slowly started making their changes. All forums must be the same for all their games so our fourms get a needless overhaul and then it was a drip, drip drip from there while they made change after change.

IMO it has nothing to do with the Devs but PWE and their policies.

Take the new horrible DOFF UI. A couple of years ago the dev would be in the chat channel getting out feedback and tweaking this or that rather than just changing things to change them.

A couple of years ago I could have told you who was reposnible for what Today aside from knowing Taco does the graphics, I couldn't tell you who was in charge of anything.
Actually it has nothing to do with PWE and I think people have summed up the issues. Dev's used to have fun coming on here, talking about things, even hinting at whats to come. When things they were hinting at didn't come? WHAM! Instant hate. It's why you don't see a lot of them post anymore. The hatred they get for anything is overwhelming and yah if my job did not require me to be on the forums and I got that kind of hate? I'd never visit either.

The investigating title helps make it easier to know what's being looked at and Frost has been on the ball trying to keep up with the bug threads Sometimes bugs just take time to get looked at and figured out a fix. And yes, I'm aware of long standing bugs so ya don't have to throw me at that
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
07-18-2014, 10:04 AM
I can't dismiss the lack of Dev feedback as easily.
The Devs made decisions that they know full well wasn't received with loving arms.

Are we going to switch to feedback through soft podcast interviews?

Maybe this is their subtle way of saying what we have to suggest doesn't matter at all.
That seems apparent.
NO to ARC...Make It VOLUNTARY

RIP KDF 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
Community Moderator
# 8
07-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezking View Post
I can't dismiss the lack of Dev feedback as easily.
The Devs made decisions that they know full well wasn't received with loving arms.

Are we going to switch to feedback through soft podcast interviews?

Maybe this is their subtle way of saying what we have to suggest doesn't matter at all.
That seems apparent.
I don't think any dev in any game thinks that everything they do will be greeted with open arms. That said, there are times you gotta do the hard thing because you know the plans that the players don't and take the heat because of it.

That isn't the issue. The problem that comes is there are some that just instantly go after any dev posting numerous questions, hating on them for xyz and non stop badgering them. Yes, my fellow mods and myself can step in and stop it (and if necessary Trevor can ban people) but if it's a continuous thing...would you come back?
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Commander
# 9
07-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Devs are probably working on Cryptic's next shiney.
Rihannsu
# 10
07-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Just recently I had asked a question directly to the devs and received a kind answer from one of them, here on the forums. When I had an additional question, he even answered my follow-up personal message.

Your perception may be deceived.
Closed Thread