Lieutenant
# 1 STO license renewal
07-18-2014, 08:02 AM
Some discussions mentioned that, with the way things are going, PWE might be pulling the plug on STO. This is not a prediction post one way or another. This is just a reminder from the MMORPG history with Warhammer Online: It was not EA who pulled the plug, it was Games Workshop who decided not to renew the license. No licenseóno game. Don't forget CBS as a potential plug puller, if STO does a poor job in its view.

Last edited by karmog; 07-18-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
07-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Ohh here we go again...

As long as the game makes money, it's gonna stick... And IF they pull the plug, they wont tell you until the very last possible minute...

There... done.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Commander
# 3
07-18-2014, 08:04 AM
I doubt this will happen, honestly.

Why?

What else is keeping the Star Trek name 'going'? Short of the once every 3 year (or so) movies, nothing but STO.
"Let's make our DOff UI bigger, clumsier to use, impossible to sort, AND have it show less information in a useable method than we did before!" - Cryptic with STO's 9.5 'crafting upgrade'.

What were you thinking, Cryptic? Seriously. I want to know.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
07-18-2014, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebob View Post
I doubt this will happen, honestly.

Why?

What else is keeping the Star Trek name 'going'? Short of the once every 3 year (or so) movies, nothing but STO.
other then the books
other than the comics
other than the merchandise, be it model, toy, shirt...
Captain
# 5
07-18-2014, 08:19 AM
CBS has to protect that gold-mine. If they feel at some point PWE's tactics are a bad thing to tarnish the gold-mine's safety, you better believe they'll pull the rights to use their intellectual property.

CBS has to coast on that for decades to come. They can't risk losing future potential profits because something now leaves a bad taste in fans' mouths.

I'm not saying that will happen. I'm saying it CAN happen. Studio execs are covetous of potential future profit.
Community Moderator
# 6
07-18-2014, 08:31 AM
We've gone over this many times. The license is fine for a few more years at least.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Career Officer
# 7
07-18-2014, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
CBS has to protect that gold-mine. If they feel at some point PWE's tactics are a bad thing to tarnish the gold-mine's safety, you better believe they'll pull the rights to use their intellectual property.
And CBS is already actively involved in doing this with STO, as the have the last rights for approval for anything that goes on in STO. This is the reason why some features in high demand, (e.g. Tier 5 Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser) have not been implemented...
Career Officer
# 8
07-18-2014, 08:33 AM
We are a very small percentage of the Trek fanbase. I don't think our pleasure\displeasure of the game makes much of a difference in the grand scheme. As long as the game makes a profit and nothing better(Trek MMO wise) comes along I don't see it going away.

"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play." - James T. Kirk
Survivor of Remus
# 9
07-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
We've gone over this many times. The license is fine for a few more years at least.
How about some proof of that....please.
Republic Veteran
# 10
07-18-2014, 08:36 AM
Need you be reminded that D Stahl said in an interview they had projects planned until 2018.
He also mention they had earned capital to support projects well past 2018.
That was well over a year ago so planning has moved well past 2020.