Super Moderator
# 21
07-18-2014, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Gimme your password... I'll fix it for you... That and a whole lot more
Yeah no. There is already one other person that knows my password and that's because I'm married to him. Not to mention he shares this computer and can just open up the browser window and cause mass chaos

I'm good without someone else being able to do the same hehe.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Super Moderator
# 22
07-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Anyywho here is the quote -

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
STO's license does not end in 2015. Our exclusive contract extends for years beyond that and we have the option to renew.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums
My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a community support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Captain
# 23
07-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Im calling DOOOM!! on this thread

DOOM!! the game is over , run hide and sell you kids for corn because the end is here its over the game is DOOOOOMED!
Captain
# 24
07-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
Yeah no. There is already one other person that knows my password and that's because I'm married to him. Not to mention he shares this computer and can just open up the browser window and cause mass chaos

I'm good without someone else being able to do the same hehe.
Your lack of faith is disturbing...
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Career Officer
# 25
07-18-2014, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmog View Post
Some discussions mentioned that, with the way things are going, PWE might be pulling the plug on STO. This is not a prediction post one way or another. This is just a reminder from the MMORPG history with Warhammer Online: It was not EA who pulled the plug, it was Games Workshop who decided not to renew the license. No licenseóno game. Don't forget CBS as a potential plug puller, if STO does a poor job in its view.
No, it was EA who decided it wasn't worth renewing the license on WAR. (If you read between the lines with the comments leading up to the non-renewal, it was clear the only reason EA didn't shut the game down earlier was because by the terms of the existing agreement it would have cost them more money to do that as oppossed to just keeping the servers up until the license agreement expired.) The shutdown announcement was worded the way it was so that GDW didn't look as bad in case they wanted to try and shop the IP around to other developers.

As for 'pulling the plug' on STO - please, were that the case, PWE wouldn't have kept the STO Dev team the size it is, provided enough funding to get former Star Trek actors to do VO work; promote and send a group of Devs to the STLV 2014 convention or greenlight a second major free STO expansion (which we'll see released before the end of 2014 by all indications.)

Hell, if you want to take a look at what PWE does when it actually abandons a Cryptic made MMO; go take a look at the 'Champions Online' forums, and look at the type of content updates it gets (when the game actually gets one - which it honestly hasn't for over a year); and contrast that with STO.

Season 9.5 is a WHOLLY TERRIBLE and lacklustre update with regard to the Doff system UI - but it's still a major (if misguided) update by comparison to the type of updates CO has received of late.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
# 26
07-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebob View Post
I doubt this will happen, honestly.

Why?

What else is keeping the Star Trek name 'going'? Short of the once every 3 year (or so) movies, nothing but STO.

Honestly, this could happen even in one year from now. The way STO is headed, i will not susprised if the next expansion is the last one. Just saying. I already know a few cases of really loyal to STO people that finally reached a limit and they not going to keep paying for playing this game. Not a dime. So, in 1 year from now, make the maths. Maybe the game will not close the servers, but cryptic will not be willing to keep releasing stuff. And since thats the only thing they do, my guess is the servers will close. Its just the logical path of a game that is getting worst season after season.

Now this is just an opinion about the logical path the game will get if things doesnt change (and i dont think they will lol). PWE sure they will try to keep pushing cryptic to keep banging customers for $, but if the player base is not enough, or people are really tired and none of em buy 1 single zen, bye bye STO.

So, yes, it could happen, and its probably it will. Maybe the next year, maybe in a couple of years. But im pretty sure, that this game, if things doesnt change, will be dead in 3 years. Of course i hope im wrong, that will mean the game actually improved instead the opposite, and that will be , honestly, a surprise, but also really great news. Unfortunately that will be too late for a lot of people xD.

Last edited by policestate76; 07-18-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Captain
# 27
07-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by policestate76 View Post
Honestly, this could happen even in one year from now. The way STO is headed, i will not susprised if the next expansion is the last one. Just saying. I already know a few cases of really loyal to STO people that finally reached a limit and they not going to keep paying for playing this game. Not a dime. So, in 1 year from now, make the maths. Maybe the game will not close the servers, but cryptic will not be willing to keep releasing stuff. And since thats the only thing they do, my guess is the servers will close. Its just the logical path of a game that is getting worst season after season.

Now this is just an opinion about the logical path the game will get if things doesnt change (and i dont think they will lol). PWE sure they will try to keep pushing cryptic to keep banging customers for $, but if the player base is not enough, or people are really tired and none of em buy 1 single zen, bye bye STO.

So, yes, it could happen, and its probably it will. Maybe the next year, maybe in a couple of years. But im pretty sure, that this game, if things doesnt change, will be dead in 3 years. Of course i hope im wrong, that will mean the game actually improved instead the opposite, and that will be , honestly, a surprise, but also really great news. Unfortunately that will be too late for a lot of people xD.
You're ignoring the business model they've moved to-which does NOT rely on long-term spending by long-term customers, but instead, focuses on short-term gains through a phenomena known as "Churn"- as long as new players come in at a rate greater than your loss of old players, (and that loss includes "**** it i won't pay" customers) they can point to the metrics and say "We're fine, see, all according to plan" to their investment partners and license holder.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

Look into Vanilla PvP if you're tired of the endless pursuit of grind, utterly unbalanced selections of geardo-inspired traits, and generally unbalanced and careless 'development' made mostly to turn this game into a second job.
Career Officer
# 28
07-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentmaster View Post
CBS has to protect that gold-mine. If they feel at some point PWE's tactics are a bad thing to tarnish the gold-mine's safety, you better believe they'll pull the rights to use their intellectual property.

CBS has to coast on that for decades to come. They can't risk losing future potential profits because something now leaves a bad taste in fans' mouths.

I'm not saying that will happen. I'm saying it CAN happen. Studio execs are covetous of potential future profit.
CBS can pull it whenever they feel like it. CBS has a lot of other sources of revenue and this game is only a speck in that whole thing. sto isnt needed or required, but PWE make sure that enough is done to keep it on their end so that it keeps CBS happy enough to not shut it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
We've gone over this many times. The license is fine for a few more years at least.
that depends, if PWE slip more and more and with the recent communication snafu that could be the start of that over 9.5 and any more content that may go bad in the meantime.. and at some point someone in CBS could look at the trek title being used and not see a game, but just one giant money sink instead regardless what anyone else saying its a game. the overriding purpose is to get as much money as possible and f2p is just a gimmick to hide behind and that infact eventually the trek name is just a title for greed and not the adventure that is star trek.. dont mistake your certainty for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakes7tvseries View Post
Need you be reminded that D Stahl said in an interview they had projects planned until 2018.
He also mention they had earned capital to support projects well past 2018.
That was well over a year ago so planning has moved well past 2020.
stahl said a lot of things and i dont believe a word of any of it with things he said he could get in game, none of it ever came. him and his crazy ideas.
i want to hear it from d'angelo himself what is going to happen because he runs it now, and what stahl may have seen and what d'angelo may see are two different things entirely.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Career Officer
# 29
07-18-2014, 12:00 PM
wanted this up first but quote limits to 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmog View Post
Some discussions mentioned that, with the way things are going, PWE might be pulling the plug on STO. This is not a prediction post one way or another. This is just a reminder from the MMORPG history with Warhammer Online: It was not EA who pulled the plug, it was Games Workshop who decided not to renew the license. No licenseóno game. Don't forget CBS as a potential plug puller, if STO does a poor job in its view.
content quality drop, lack of interest from the community, lots of negative reviews and opinions, game direction is not heading in a direction that suits the ip nature. drop in the amount of players from the server.

anything could set it off then just a poor job.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Starfleet Veteran
# 30
07-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebob View Post
I doubt this will happen, honestly.

Why?

What else is keeping the Star Trek name 'going'? Short of the once every 3 year (or so) movies, nothing but STO.
Not much... Just
Comic Books
Novels
Calendars
Star Trek Ornaments
Toys "figures, Lego like blocks"
Models
A crap load of Merchandise "Not toys" See StarTrek.com
DVD/Blu Ray, digital copy Streaming like Netflix of 11 Movies and 30 Seasons of TV if you count the cartoon of trek/
Star Trek games as in board games, role play, and video games. I even have the scene it version and I think they have a Monopoly one.

But beyond that I don't see how they make I with so little