Captain
# 31
07-18-2014, 11:03 AM
CBS isn't going to pull the plug unless they have a replacement MMO ready to go.

Even a small amount of $ is something.

Think of SW... Lucas didn't pull the plug until he had something else ready. In fact he pushed the something else to go early cause going with out anything wasn't an option.

So unless you hear a really good rumor of X or Y company developing a new title this one isn't likely to go anywhere, at least from CBSs end.
Captain
# 32
07-18-2014, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
CBS isn't going to pull the plug unless they have a replacement MMO ready to go.

Even a small amount of $ is something.

Think of SW... Lucas didn't pull the plug until he had something else ready. In fact he pushed the something else to go early cause going with out anything wasn't an option.

So unless you hear a really good rumor of X or Y company developing a new title this one isn't likely to go anywhere, at least from CBSs end.
^exactly right^

and CBS isn't George Lucas, they're not going to risk a steady flow of income from part of a going concern (no matter how poorly handled) for 100% of a speculation. MMO development is EXPENSIVE-esp. at launch. THIS game almost killed it's parent company twice before the PWE buyout.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

A Festival of Blood and Fire!
Career Officer
# 33
07-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmog View Post
with the way things are going
The hell is this supposed to mean?

Things have been going great for STO. It's Cryptic's big moneymaker right now. It's seen massive improvement since it changed hands to PWE. We've already seen one major expansion released and are on the way to another.

"The way things are going" is the last reason the license would ever get pulled, despite what a few airheaded naysayers would have you think from reading the forums.
Captain
# 34
07-18-2014, 11:29 AM
Sure things aren't as great as they could be. But things aren't that bad.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Starfleet Veteran
# 35
07-18-2014, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniosalieri View Post
They're unlikely to pull it even with a replacement, because they didn't restrict either STO or Infinite Space for the sake of the other. They're not pulling the license on Trexels even with another facebook/mobile Star Trek game coming out to join it.

They didn't pull the license from Bethesda for burying a couple ok games in an avalanche of shovelware, and before CBS Viacom didn't pull it from Activision for their hissy fit and legal shenanigans. The last time a licensed Star Trek product had its license pulled was in the late 80's, and that was at the end of several years of trying to resolve the dispute, and now the whole system wherein CBS has to pre-approve content was put in place to prevent that situation from repeating itself.

Last edited by hevach; 07-18-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Career Officer
# 36
07-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickngo View Post
^exactly right^

and CBS isn't George Lucas, they're not going to risk a steady flow of income from part of a going concern (no matter how poorly handled) for 100% of a speculation. MMO development is EXPENSIVE-esp. at launch. THIS game almost killed it's parent company twice before the PWE buyout.
Actually, CO and STO were the only things keeping Atari (well, actually French-based Infogames, who just bought the Atari brand as it had better name recognition) financially afloat as it was coming out of a bankruptcy. Yes, STO game development suffered, but that was because Atari was taking all the money from STO and not putting much back into continued development. The $50 million sale of Cryptic to PWE allowed Atari to make a $30 million up front payment to their creditors. If Cryptic truly had been 'failing'; there's no way PWE would have paid $50 million to Atari, and then continued funded and expanding development on STO (which they did). Also, if STO wasn't doing well, I don't think we would have seen the budget to start getting more actual Star Trek to do VO work, get a honest Expansion (LoR); with a second STO Expansion set to be released by the end of this year.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says: "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Lieutenant
# 37
07-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Sry, but we're not talking about the past. I assume that none of us knows the development of the player base but I assume also that many of us have experienced the fall of other MMO's. What worries me is that the reasons have been more or less the same. No contact to the playerbase, developments that were not welcome and more and more player that quitted.

I do _not_ say, that STO is going down but I start feeling worried because I've seen this happen too often.
So you're a native speaker and I'm not. So what?
Republic Veteran
# 38
07-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Slow week....
The Only good Iconian is a DEAD Iconian

Would you like to know more?