Lt. Commander
# 1 The Dreaded Borg! & C-Store
02-14-2010, 05:16 AM
Does anyone know if the Federation Borg characters will ever be available in the C-Store? or when any kind of new content will be added to it???
I've Bought 500 point to spend and so far got the Ferengi and the Klingon Federation characters, but now I have points left over with nothing to spend them on!! Please Cryptic, More More More Content in the C-Store!!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 05:19 AM
No.

At least not until Lifetime subscriptions have paid for themselves, at the very least. Anything else would be a remarkably bad PR and business decision for Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Oh Bugger. Oh Well. I'll make do till then. Any word on when character slots will be available to purchase on C-Store?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2010, 06:19 AM
As a lifetime subscriber I hope to God they hit the C-Store. As stands they could use more "implant" options, and without a large and growing user base calling for them I don't see them ever getting added. If the Liberated Borg characters were opened to a wider audience it would be much more likely for us to see Cryptic add options like that in the future.

Also... the optional trait is kinda weak. Again this is something I think Cryptic would be looking at more closely if there were more people playing the species... subspecies... modified species... or whatever the heck you want to call people who've been technologically molested by nano-machines.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 06:37 AM
I really don't think it would be a good idea for the Borg to go to the C-Store. If only because of the backlash it'd cause, and half of the Federation would end up being Borged Humans.

Though, I would love to see more implants. I was under the assumption that we'd get at least some post liberation Picard or Seven of Nine style impants, which are much more subtle and stylish then the gigantic headpieces we have now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Purple
I really don't think it would be a good idea for the Borg to go to the C-Store. If only because of the backlash it'd cause, and half of the Federation would end up being Borged Humans.
I'm a lifer and there would be no backlash from me. I got the Borg for free with an extra-cheap lifetime subscription (and only use it for the Klingon character who buys bat'leths for my Feds), so why should I mind that others get the same if they pay for it? Of course, there are always those people who bought the lifetime subscription for the Borg. And I wouldn't have a problem with half the Federation being borged humans. Yesterday I saw a liberated Borg in a mini-skirt. Now nothing can faze me anymore. And the more races they add to the Store, the less people will play Borg.

Quote:
Though, I would love to see more implants. I was under the assumption that we'd get at least some post liberation Picard or Seven of Nine style impants, which are much more subtle and stylish then the gigantic headpieces we have now.
They could at least add the implant of the pre-order Borg to the parts for Borg characters.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Can't really cause much backlash as the Liberated Borg character was actually never advertised as an exclusive. It was stated that the subscription would come with the borg character and two extra character slots, but not that the borg character was at all exclusive... which is why there was some hot debate surrounding that when it was announced.

It has always been assumed by many that the borg characters would be C-Store bound before too long. Is that assumption correct? Probably, if not they would have used the term "exclusive" in the offer, but you can never be entirely sure.

Besides, you aren't going to see a huge number of borg, as it would be a paid addition and most won't spend the money. You'll notice that every other Federation player isn't a klingon and they went up in the C-Store on launch day. Klingons (and Ferengi) are actually fairly rare, and most of the ones you -do- see are "fakes" made via the custom alien race feature (and you see a few borg done this way as well).

Quote:
Well, with a small, stagnant player base for the borg they aren't likely to see much attention paid them by the developers. Fixes, additions and balances are done based on priority, and if only a small percentage of your user base will have access to Feature A, well then you don't pay much attention to Feature A but focus on all of the stuff that 99.9% of your subscribers have to deal with on a regular basis.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-14-2010, 07:03 AM
It was implied as an exclusive. If you want to play "find the loophole", you could say that it wasn't an exclusive, but that doesn't mean they're free to put it up in the C-Store so soon without some severe reprecussions from lifetimers.

Keep in mind that only a small portion of the populace usually posts in the official forums too. That's why when a change is made that the larger populace doesn't like, suddenly you have people who have never posted before flooding the forums to complain.

There is a good portion of the playerbase who would be ticked off at spending over 200+ dollars on a package deal, and then getting gipped out of the only unique part of it aside from the lifetime sub. I know i'd be one of them.

That being said, i'd be glad to pay for more Borg implant options if they ever become available. That's such a luxury given the general availability of Borg players that I understand that it might be a drain on the developers to set aside time to do that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Quote:
It was implied as an exclusive.
Actually it wasn't. You may have assumed it was, but that doesn't make it implied.

They said the lifetime subscription would come with a playable borg race, that doesn't imply that it's the only way to get it. It was stated in the pre-order information at Gamestop that if you bought a boxed copy of the game from them it would come with 30 days of play, free of charge. That doesn't make that offer exclusive to Gamestop, nor to boxed copies. In fact, you get those same 30 days from any retailer, and with either boxed copies or digital downloads.

Simply saying "X is included with Y" does not imply that X is exclusive to Y and cannot be obtained without getting Y. This was not lost on many who read the offer, which explains why there was a lot of talk of the borg going to the C-Store after the offer was made.

Feel free to Google, you'll see most of the sites that covered the LTSub offer specifically pointed out that there was no mention of exclusivity there.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Exclusive or not, the financially challenged non-lifers will have to WAIT. Yes wait.

It's possible that the liberated Borg will be available in the C-Store. I wouldn't hold my breath. Unless you have the lung capacity for about 12 to 18 months.

When you do finally get them, it'll be old hat to us.