Lt. Commander
i think problems was before update drivers else we do not update it.
if you want to return to last drivers just restore system to a restore point before install video drivers .
i think this will not resolve all problems but at least some of them.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-14-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 4870. Like most of you, I had no issues with the game until this week, and I've been using the same card since Open Beta

However, the game is still very playable for me.

Here's what I went through in case it helps with any of your scenarios:

Everything was fine until I decided to update to the latest Catalyst driver. I did this because EVE Online (which I also play) issued a patch, and afterwards I started getting really funky gamma problems in that game (screen far too dark). Updating the driver did mostly resolve that issue. Anyway, when next I logged into STO, I noticed on my cruiser's bridge that some of the textures were ripping pretty badly.

So, I went into the game's properties and cranked up anti-aliasing a bit. I also turned on dynamic lighting, since I was there. That's when the crashes began.

After turning on dynamic lighting, the game would crash every couple of hours while playing, usually in a ground map, during a fight. A hard crash too, because Cryptic's error handler wouldn't kick in afterwards. The Windows 7 event log gave me a helpful message that the faulting module was an ATI driver dll, with an error code of 0xc000005 (Access Denied). So basically, something made an illegal call and it crashed the game.

I also once or twice experienced even worse symptoms, including one where the ATI graphics driver deadlocked with something else and I had to reboot the system. Needless to say, something was very wrong.

So, I remembered that this all started after turning on dynamic lighting. The next time I launched the game, I turned that back off. Since then, I have not crashed, although it has only been a few days so far.

Anyway, I do not know if my story helps you all, but if you are experiencing problems with an ATI card right now - take a good hard look at the graphics options you have set in the game. Turning off some of the fancy stuff like dynamic lighting may very well help to clear it up.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Thorne
I'm running an ATI Radeon HD 4870. Like most of you, I had no issues with the game until this week, and I've been using the same card since Open Beta

Everything was fine until I decided to update to the latest Catalyst driver. I did this because EVE Online (which I also play) issued a patch, and afterwards I started getting really funky gamma problems in that game (screen far too dark). Updating the driver did mostly resolve that issue. Anyway, when next I logged into STO, I noticed on my cruiser's bridge that some of the textures were ripping pretty badly.

So, I went into the game's properties and cranked up anti-aliasing a bit. I also turned on dynamic lighting, since I was there. That's when the crashes began.

After turning on dynamic lighting, the game would crash every couple of hours while playing, usually in a ground map, during a fight. A hard crash too, because Cryptic's error handler wouldn't kick in afterwards. The Windows 7 event log gave me a helpful message that the faulting module was an ATI driver dll, with an error code of 0xc000005 (Access Denied). So basically, something made an illegal call and it crashed the game.

I also once or twice experienced even worse symptoms, including one where the ATI graphics driver deadlocked with something else and I had to reboot the system. Needless to say, something was very wrong.

So, I remembered that this all started after turning on dynamic lighting. The next time I launched the game, I turned that back off. Since then, I have not crashed, although it has only been a few days so far.

Anyway, I do not know if my story helps you all, but if you are experiencing problems with an ATI card right now - take a good hard look at the graphics options you have set in the game. Turning off some of the fancy stuff like dynamic lighting may very well help to clear it up.
Thanks Trace, I'll check my vid options to see if this helps. I fooled with it some, because I had the graphics all the way up. I guess I will start with what you mention first, since ground fighting is the only thing giving me hard crashes.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-14-2010, 12:28 PM
have you all tried turning off the dynamic lighting !? i have a 5870 and mine was unplayable on away missions but fine now iv turned the dynamic lighting off..

i read this idea on another thread by the way

sorry i havent had any probs after todays patch except the for random disconnects !!

which cat are you using iv been using 10.1 for over a week now...
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Ive got a radeon 4850 in a xeon dual processor server running windows 2003 server and the game runs great. No graphics issues what so ever running at 1440x900 with all graphics options turned on and maxed.

The game fusses about my drivers being out of date everytime I run it but I learned a long time ago not to run the newest out from ati

I run the omega drivers not ati's released ones.

http://www.driverheavendownloads.net/omegadrive.htm
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-14-2010, 03:21 PM
I turned off dynamic lighting, and as you said, I have no problems now with the game. No crashes at all. Bad driver from ATI I guess. Thanks for the help guys!
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-14-2010, 03:29 PM
System Restore for the WIN!!

as suggested by a previous poster I did a system restore to before applying the newer drivers and am now able to play STO again.

Just want to say thanks to everyone that helped by offering suggestions.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-14-2010, 05:28 PM
i have a 4350 whats your processor at becasue that is usually the problem it may not be your video card its usually your motherboard and processor
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Thorne

This has been going on, on all ATI drivers since Champions online Beta, Hell, Cryptic has been aware of it since then, hence the "this option may stall on some cards"... yes, they actually have this written in the info popup when you highlight the dynamic lighting video option in-game. They know about the issue but it must be nearly impossible to fix or require a fundamental change in the game engine or something.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadelokk
I turned off dynamic lighting, and as you said, I have no problems now with the game. No crashes at all. Bad driver from ATI I guess. Thanks for the help guys!
How do you turn off Dynamic Lighting? I'm currently using a Radeon X1900, too lazy to update to a newer card....