Lt. Commander
# 141
11-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadMonkey View Post
It will take some time to acclimate myself with the cartoony character look. I may have to crack open my old WOW account and get use to the look. Hope I don't get sucked back into the fold.
Nooo! Don't succumb to its evil!
Lt. Commander
# 142
11-29-2008, 08:57 PM
nice screen shots different then most though a little to unrealistic
Lt. Commander
# 143
11-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Really if that's a Centaur-class then there's just nothing left of the original design and technology besides the shape of the ship.

Centaur Mark II or something.
Lt. Commander
# 144
11-29-2008, 11:14 PM
The screen shots look amazing! Please sir may we have more?
Lt. Commander
# 145
11-30-2008, 01:06 AM
Nice to see the art improving. As I thought it would. It already looked 10 ZILLION times better than what Perpetual did. Now it's looks even better. I'm sure it will improve even more. I cannot wait to see some of the UI. Please PLEASE implement the LCARS UI for this game. OR at least give us a choice to use it. Don't make it look like WoW. Don't be afraid to implement high end detailed graphics for those who can handle it. Don't be like that other sci-fi mmo and go to the "lowest common denominator" for maximum profit. Make something to last for this and the next gen of computer systems.

end of rant.
Lt. Commander
# 146
11-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Nice getting better all the time. Love the Trill . Wonder if she is married lol, sorry had to go there. Seriously looking great thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 147
11-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Pax_ View Post
Well, my impressions:

Overall
Generally, I like the look. There's a few design elements I take sception to, though ... primarily, the apparent "Blue = Fed, Red = Klingon" oversimplification. I'd rather installations got flags, banners, and painted-on-the-wall emblems to identify them, rather than "giant colored window-like things".
I agree completely. The glowing red stuff makes sense on the interior of a Klingon ship, but on the OUTSIDE of an outpost in broad daylight? My first thought when I saw that was, "is this a capture-the-flag map?"
Lt. Commander
# 148
11-30-2008, 05:39 PM
When's the acticipated lauch date for this game?
Lt. Commander
# 149
11-30-2008, 06:10 PM
My knowledge of graphics technical stuff is limited so I can't really articulate much on that. I do have some criticisms on the screenshots though, hopefully its useful.

I can say the artwork and detail in the spacedock screen shot is very good except a few parts, in my opinion. The ship texture seems to be non-reflective, while the spacedock seems to have some reflective textures, which would do very well on the ship I think.

The texturing on the ship also looks a bit 'shallow' or a bit simple, in contrast to the textures on the space dock, where it looks like you can almost see a patchwork of individual panels. I also don't particularly like those gigantic lights on the space dock, as I think I'd like to see them split up with some lines in there so it looks like they are a composite of several lines of lights or anything that makes them look less like a single entity. To put it another way, Star Trek is a universe with gigantic ships, put together and serviced by little people, and the larger it is, the more parts and components it ought to display in game in its textures.

I think the character art in the Trill screenshot is great. No complaints on her, however, the building behind her bugs me. Now, without knowing what the building is, its really hard to make a decent comment on it, however it's those neon blue panels that bug me. What are they for? I presume they are some kind of windows to show off some funky blue sci-fi energy thingy. They jump right out at me for how bright they are, and yet they don't appear to be anything interesting at all.

If it is supposed to be some energy thingy, they look too flat, no depth to them, as if the blue energy stuff is the window itself rather than behind the window. They are also identical, as if the blue blob fills up the whole window or whatever and is uninteresting to look at, yet very eye catching. If they were animated as if something was pulsing behind them, and the windows were in varying states of brightness based on the status of the energy thing, I think it would look better. The tower too could use similar treatment. Granted animations are nil in a static shot, but if the energy seemed to move around it would be more interesting.

Now if they aren't supposed to be anything special at all, just plain windows, then I think they are way too bright, and also ought to give the illusion that they are hiding something with that blue light. Maybe give them the illusion that something seem to be casting shadows against the windows from the interior.

The Klingon outpost shot has the same problems with its bright red panels. They appear to be static and bright for no discernible reason. Animation would greatly help there too, for example the red strip could pulse or something.

I also think its a reuse of the same eye catching color too many times. Why are they all the same bright red? Why not different shades of red? They don't all look related in function for how different the various bright red spots are. Granted, again its sci-fi and there is always a need to hide how things work since we don't really know, but I think they don't quite look like they have a purpose, nor do they look like part of the same system. More details in general could help with that, if the various spots had some more obviously technical things that helped to show they do stuff, like wires and pipes connecting them to somewhere, or whatever. Now they could all just be decorative to the Klingons, but I think for us, shiney, glowy things just shout interesting sci-fi technology, so it would be nice to be able to study them and try and guess at their purposes.

Another problem I notice is that while they all appear to glow bright red, they don't seem to be casting any light at all. For how bright they are, most of the walls should be bathed in a red glow, which they aren't.

As for the hands, what I see in the screenshot for his hands is a blur. The lack of resolution in that area really just doesn't give much to go on to say they are too large or whether its merely an optical illusion based on how little detail came through the screenshot in that area. I do, however, find conspicuous his lack of any equipment for a Federation officer being near a Klingon outpost. No phaser or tricorder or portable taco replicator, or anything else that ought to be hanging from a belt. I smell traitor.

Great stuff though, can't wait to see more!
Lt. Commander
# 150
11-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Yeah! Where's that man's Taco Replicator! Every Federation officer keeps his taco replicator with him at all times! He's a traitor, and a spy!