Lt. Commander
# 61
11-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgoodfel View Post
To borrow a saying from a different sci-fi series. Shinny!
Thanks for the Thanksgiving gifts.
Shinny indeed my friend ! love these new pics thank you cryptic , awsome job as always.
Lt. Commander
# 62
11-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
ooooh i can already feel the questions coming on, like what are those green things on the ship?c!
Omg. I was getting ready to ask that same question... :p
Lt. Commander
# 63
11-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Dry Dock: I'll admit, for an actual in-game screenshot that's impressive. Looks like STO is going to be T&L heavy. So people better start saving for good graphics cards. :p

As for the Centaur, I like seeing the port holes. However, I really do not like seeing the Green Domes, Phaser Array, and the Exterior Lights. Also the Torpedo Tubes need some work, they look like "Evil Eyes". (BTW, why are the tubes armed in Dry Dock?)

Science Officer: Well screenshots tend to be more deceptive than actual footage. But to me it still needs some tweeking. (At least the female models don't look like Playboy Playmates from other games.)

Klingon Outpost: For a minute, I thought we were in WoW and "storming the castle" :p

Anyhow, you think there would be some defense turrets around.

The Terrain is nice, but I'm not too fond of the grass. Wonder if they actually can provide cover from being visually spotted?
Lt. Commander
# 64
11-26-2008, 11:13 PM
They have said that they want the game to run well and look good on a wide variety of computers, so that means it will be scaleable. Let them finish building the world and everything before they put the final polish and spit-shine on everything. They aren't even at Beta yet.

For all we know, they may do something similar to Lord of the Rings Online, where they have the default, regular client that installs from the retail discs, and then there's a high-rez client that players can download (patch certain texture and .dat files) if they have high-end machines. LOTRO is a gorgeous game on high-end machines but can still be scaled down to a mid-range computer.

Even if the graphics stay the same as these screenshots, I think it looks good. Watch an episode of TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, they are all on the bright, colorful side, especially TOS, TNG, VOY. They aren't exactly ALIENS with Ripley looking for Xenomorphs in the shadows. I wouldn't expect a Trek MMO to look like that. This isn't a post-apocalyptic FPS, it's an MMO.

The ships may look bright and colorful (i.e. "cartoony" to some) but they may need to be so they can render the big dog fights in the vastness of space, the final frontier. The planet-side shots already look better than WOW. And we may not be seeing the final render of lighting, specular highlights, etc.

So far the game is looking good. I just can't wait to play it! But I will wait as long as it takes them to make the game they are wanting to make, even if there's delayed release.
Lt. Commander
# 65
11-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Well, my impressions:

Overall
Generally, I like the look. There's a few design elements I take sception to, though ... primarily, the apparent "Blue = Fed, Red = Klingon" oversimplification. I'd rather installations got flags, banners, and painted-on-the-wall emblems to identify them, rather than "giant colored window-like things".

Ship in Drydock
Looks nice; very detailed, too. It seems you've gone for discrete single-point "phaser emitter" architecture, rather than arc-based "phaser array" architecture; I suppose it makes showing where a shot comes from easier. Also, knowing which firing arcs still have functional weapons.

The Lady in Blue
I like the uniform details. Hopefully there's a range of possibilities for us to choose from, so we can personalise our clothes as much as we can personalise our ships.

Oh, and I'd like to be able to go with slight variatiosn from Bridge-crew member to Bridge-crew member; for example, I'd like to have my security officer be straightlaced and wear her uniform strictly By The Book, while the science officer is a bit more easy-going and wears his "jacket" unfastened, and the medical officer wears elements of their native racial "star navy" in her univorm - like Worf wore that sash/bandolier thing.

Mister Big-Hands
Yeah. Those hands ARE big. Or his head's small. One of the two; the proportions are a bit .... off.
Lt. Commander
# 66
11-26-2008, 11:45 PM
Someone said the "Federation vessel in dry dock" is a Centaur-class starship, so I looked that up on Google.

Cool diagram of Centaur-class frigate

The ship in dry dock looks like a faithful reproduction of this ship, down to the domes on the under side of the saucer section (the only variation being that in the game the domes are green). It doesn't look like the Centaur class ship uses the phaser array.

But then again, we know the Galaxy class does, and the only time we see a Galaxy class ship fire phasers in the trailer it doesn't look like it does the special animation of the energy sliding around the array before shooting out. Maybe they are not going to incorporate that to cut down on rendering for less lag during big dog fights.
Lt. Commander
# 67
11-27-2008, 12:09 AM
nice Screenshots, i want to play....
Lt. Commander
# 68
11-27-2008, 01:00 AM
Great screen shots can't wait to play
Lt. Commander
# 69
11-27-2008, 01:15 AM
Every time I see or read somthing new abaut sto I get all excited and canīt wait till release date. Maby itīs because I trie to keep my expetations as low as posible, so when somthing new is realsesed on the site I get all excited abaut it.

And even if I get decipointed abaut the game Iīll still play it alot just for the exploration part of it. However the more I think abaut it the more unlikly it is, to not like the game, considering that all peases of info and screenshots points in the way of it getting to be orsam.
Lt. Commander
# 70
11-27-2008, 03:22 AM
Glorious! Please add more as soon as possible... and perhaps add a concept art section, I'd love to see Cryptics artists at work