Lt. Commander
# 71
11-27-2008, 03:29 AM
Liking the uniform.
Lt. Commander
# 72
11-27-2008, 04:50 AM
I wonder if the large hands were made in conscious thought. For The Old Republic MMO that was recently announced, the developers consciously made the decision to make the characters and their items oddly proportioned (e.g. the lightsaber hilts are huge) based off of the proportions used on Michelangelo's David (suggesting "heroic" proportions). It may have been a similar decision made independently (TOR was announced after STO) by the two companies?
Lt. Commander
# 73
11-27-2008, 05:24 AM
Wao,cool screenshots =)
Lt. Commander
# 74
11-27-2008, 06:18 AM
very nice screenshots

wonder what those yellow orbs are on the Centaur class though..and from what i have found out they are not standard so itis obviously some sort of upgrade or apart of its refit

plus since it was built in the same era as the Excelsior...well doesnt that hint that some older ships could be included too?

love how that klingon base looks although i would expect a few more klingons around it...either that or they were scared off by his huge hands haha

and amazing detail on the science officer (whom from now i shall refer to as Ezri since she resembles her alot)
Lt. Commander
# 75 attack of the clones
11-27-2008, 06:20 AM
apart from the usual embellishments - pointy ears, alien markings, different hair, etc. why do all the faces (from all the pics/vids so far) look generally the same? Wheres the customization?

The big hands are a tad disturbing... hope that's not the norm for humanoids
Lt. Commander
# 76
11-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Yep nice pics, would'nt mind these ones for my desktop background myself
Lt. Commander
# 77
11-27-2008, 06:38 AM
yea nice screens
love that they have a Centaur class I all ways liked the older style hulls in stead of the sleek areo dynamic look they started to go with enterprise E. and voy.
glade there is going to be some varity to hull styles.
Lt. Commander
# 78
11-27-2008, 06:47 AM
Centaur with bobblybits - how retro! :p

I like the uniforms - is updated yet retains the feel of the uniforms in the era of star trek we're most familiar with.
Lt. Commander
# 79
11-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD967 View Post
plus since it was built in the same era as the Excelsior...well doesnt that hint that some older ships could be included too?
Well, it's been confirmed for a while that you can make ships reminiscent of the older classes, but all the details of ship customization are not known. In character creation, it seems as though we're given a "toybox" of pieces that we can mix and match, such that we can put a Klingon forehead, Gorn eyes, and Vulcan ears on our avatar and make it a new species. The same idea might apply to the creation of a ship. You might be able to take an Intrepid class primary hull, slap it on a galaxy class secondary hull, and then attach Excelsior class warp nacelles to make a new class of ship. Or, you can take the galaxy Class primary hull, slap it on a Galaxy class secondary hull, and include Galaxy class warp nacelles, effectively giving you... a Galaxy class ship.

All the news so far makes me think that this is how things will ultimately work, but I am not 100% sure. I am also unsure as to whether or not we construct every ship that we earn, or if we select from canonical ships and then gain the ability to switch out its components after the fact.

One article explicitly says that we may not have the ability to fly an exact replica of the Miranda class, but that we will be able to create a ship that more-or-less looks like one. This suggests that the "Miranda class" won't be present in game, but if you take a Constitution class primary hull, scrap the secondary hull, and put Miranda style warp nacelles attached to the primary hull you'll effectively have your Miranda class. The same might be true of the Centaur class in the screenshots. For all we know one of the Devs is a fan of the design and so created a ship that looked like it. It might not be a true Centaur class per se.
Lt. Commander
# 80
11-27-2008, 07:33 AM
Beautiful stuff! Thank you Cryptic! You guys are doing some genuinely incredible work.

I wonder, with a Centaur being there, are my hopes to have a modernized Excelsior class ship going to be fulfilled? I hope so!

Keep it coming guys! You guys are going to make Star Trek even better.