Lt. Commander
# 21
02-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValcyrVexx View Post
In one of the many CE threads on these boards I saw the easiest and most elegant fix to this encounter ever.

at 25%, 50%, 75% you have marks that it can't heal back beyond once it gets injured past that point. so if you hit it down to 61% it can't heal past 75%, if you get it down to 1% before a group of people faceplant into a bunch of fragments it can't heal past 25%.

I wish I could remember who put forth that idea, but I can't.
That's actually pretty brilliant.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValcyrVexx View Post
In one of the many CE threads on these boards I saw the easiest and most elegant fix to this encounter ever.

at 25%, 50%, 75% you have marks that it can't heal back beyond once it gets injured past that point. so if you hit it down to 61% it can't heal past 75%, if you get it down to 1% before a group of people faceplant into a bunch of fragments it can't heal past 25%.

I wish I could remember who put forth that idea, but I can't.
There's really tons of simple fixes. That's why its so annoying that nothing has been done. They could honestly just remove the healing aspect completely and this zone would be much better. It would still take about 10 minutes to finish and I think that's all the longer it should take. 10 seconds was a bit too fast and I'm glad they nerfed it, but impossible in a pug is not for a level 17 quest.

Sadly, this would make a great 5 man raid for level 45 content if they just pushed it up there as is.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Myself I tried forming a team the other day to try and blow it up, we managed to get 10-12 ppl but the remaining others were enough to screw it up. (not counting the fact that we had hard time just getting all 12 ppl in the same instance because it was full)

I wouldn't mind if they kept the difficulty level as it is, but at least have the ability to create our own instance and lock it as suggested in this thread.

About the mines however, there is something I'm not sure about. In the many instances I've been, the entity always endsup healing 3% every 30 seconds or so, regardless if I or others were using mines or not. I have been using mines to keep the kiting fragments under control (I've been in an instance once where there was so many fragments that the actual entity was blinking in and out, seemed like too much fragments were flying around). Past the 30-35% barrier however, using mines becomes problematic because of the large fragments, these, as all of us here know, split up and spawns the 3 returning small fragments that heals the CE.

I think that those that know how to kite are ok, even if they don't understand the large fragment thing. The problem is those rushing in, guns blazing, ramming shards and respawning. That strategy is fine, until 30-35% where hitting the large ones creates the healing problem, and you quickly endup to levels you were at a few minutes ago...

So, imho, if there would be a possibility to have a restricted instance, password protect or invite only like you can on the bridges or some similar solution, that would at least give us a chance!
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-14-2010, 07:17 PM
The solution: Shoot all the shards: http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=116341
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-15-2010, 02:10 AM
It would help a heck of a lot if the people in zone chat weren't so contradictory.

Player 1: "Kill shards!"
Player 2: "STFU NOOB KILLING SHARDS HEAL"
Player 3: "KITE CLOCKWISE"
Player 4: "KITE ANTI-CLOCKWISE"
Player 1: "Only Large Shards Heal!"
Player 2: "OMFG U ARE SO STUPID"
Player 5: "Laying Minefield guys"
Everyone: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I mean, people complain about some folks doing the wrong thing... it's quite hard to know what's the right thing to do when everyone's arguing like that.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-15-2010, 02:19 AM
The whole open instance idea for this encounter is flawed:

Content doable by PUG's using zerging ----> Open instance: no matter how many players screw up, it is still possible to complete the instance;

Content that requires strategy and cooperation ----> Closed instance only accessible by teams/fleets. Dungeon in space. Rationale: you cannot be sure that everyone knows the correct strategy, or even uses the same strategy. No way to kick out offenders who are either too stupid to listen to the others, and use the agreed strategy, or rush in and blow themselves up deliberately, ruining the experience for all.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-15-2010, 02:37 AM
I swore I would never PuG again after playing WoW and LOTRO but since playing STO I don't have much choice when it comes to CE and The Borg.

I agree CE its frustrating if people warp in and spoil all the hard work you have put in. I must admit that a first I was a little confused because I played in OB when CE was pretty darn easy. After launch when it was changed I thought WTF.

Its not rocket science. If people just took the time to watch what CE does, There Actions/Reactions then they would see exactly what to do. Something I noticed in a few CE encounters is that several people where shouting a few different strategies which can be confusing to the casual player.