Lt. Commander
# 21
02-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Dravis
If there is going to be a Dishonour System for Klingons, then there should be a Reprimand System for Federation.

In my mind, both such systems already exist and are merged into one game-wide system: Report Spam (which automatically puts the person on your Ignore List), or Request GM Help (Report Behaviour).
I'll agree with that.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-14-2010, 05:10 PM
fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo
Don't lag out.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-14-2010, 05:55 PM
I strongly suspect many comments here are made by people who
1) have never studied war, the ways of defeating an enemy

2) think Klingons should either act like raging frat boys with batleths OR act like ancient Earth Samurai with European ideas of chivalry.

Sun Tzu said that "all war is based on deception". Nothing is more honorable than confounding your enemies plans and emerging victorious. For those of you who do not have the benefit of having actual real life combat experience, let me tell you that you want to have every advantage on your side. There is no "fair" or "unfair" in combat, only the victors and the vanquished. In this light the cloaking device is another weapon in a warriors arsenal.

If you want to understand what a "True Klingon" would do, study the books by John Ford, as well as a careful study of the episodes with Worf and the Klingons. If you simply apply your own uninformed ideas as to what Klingons are (ideas based in a Western middle class background) you will come up short because they are a complex people that can not be reduced to a single word or idea.

I would also invite the readers to gain a deeper understanding of what "Honor" means and has meant throughout history. It seems that many people are taking an archaic western based chivalry approach, a regime that was found only in Europe, only among the aristocracy and even then only when convenient.

Enjoy your studies.

Yours in elucidation Plasma,
Star*Dagger

P.S. The double irony of this thread is that someone above mentioned the Romulans (Rihannsu) as having no honor, when in fact the strictures of Mnhei'sahe are even more complex than the Klingon and Terran equivalents. But this is a discussion for another day...
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-15-2010, 04:15 AM
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-15-2010, 05:19 AM
whew, good think Im not Klingon, i just happen to work for them and for some reason they gave me a ship. fancy that.

Edit: Also note that YOUR def of Honor and another races will differ, if you want to get all technical Federation has less morals than the Ferengi. You only have to play the fed side and find that out, heck you can even look at some episode of the series and see that.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-15-2010, 08:22 AM
I know Cryptic has a hard-on for Klingons in giving them favoratism,[/quote]

LOL you lost me right there.. have you even played a klingon to any lvl ? if so you would know what you just said right there makes no sense what so ever .. you my friend have 80+ hours of content the day the game went live..

klingons? 0 .. we have to wait for 45 days lol.. but oh ait there giving us a T2 cruiser .. to bad every klingon is t3 or higher lol.. but oh yea we have the "Devs ear" we got one dev (jack) looking out for klingons and if it wasnt for him we would be screwed hard core ..
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-15-2010, 08:29 AM
First off, I can't believe people are actually suggesting Cryptic bring in Mods. I don't like playing a game where Big Brother is constantly watching over my shoulder - nor do I like a game where a ****y and disgruntled player can complain about me simply because I creamed them in a match.

The other day I played Borg Hunt and despite having three other teammates, I had to personally scan all 8 nodes and destroyed two of the repair hubs before a ******** Fed player dragged a few cubes in my direction and then sped off and then proceeded to tell his Fed buddies to hunt me down because I was obviously the only one playing the match. Naturally I got frustrated and let the profanity fly. The point is that the people who behave dishonorably are also the ones most likely to provoke you into breaking the rules. I don't want a ***** like the player above screwing up my match and then getting me banned after I call him what he is: a *****. This game doesn't need unpaid, unmotivated Mods, arbiturarily punishing people - it needs players like the OP to be a little less sensitive and recognize that dishonorable play is a function of gaming in general - not the mechanics of this game in particular. People are going to weasel you out of victory and attack you when you're unprepared. You'll lose in ways that seem incredibily unfair and you'll want to punch people in the nose for it. Its a game, let it go and deal with it.

Second, I don't like the idea of punishing players for sitting a match out under cloak. I've been in matches where the Klingon players refuse to cooperate and then just fly into the Fed Ball like rabbits diving into an industrial blender. I'm not going to die simply because they're too stupid to think. I wait, I pick a few people off, I cloak and get away. That is how you beat the Fed Ball.

And finally, can we not bring the intracies of war philosophy into the mix? You're right, the Cryptic designers probably haven't read the Art of War. Neither have the thousands of other players playing this game. I don't think Captain Lolzor of the USS PwnRanger is going to behave in the same manner as a battle hardened general doing everything in his power to protect the lives of his men and bring victory to his side - so perhaps it would be better to treat this as, uh, I video game filled with teenagers and nerds rather than a serious engagement.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
Ah, touche'.

That's the truth. Cryptic makes the Klingons be nothing but the brutes that love fighting, than a culture that respects honor.

I know Cryptic has a hard-on for Klingons in giving them favoratism, but they could easily implement a system that detects you firing on a person that's already engaged in PvE combat. So if you attack that person, you get a dishonor point and have certain privalages taken away.
um attacking a person being shot at by npcs is a smart thing to do hes already taking damage an you are not thus odds of you wining are higher this is a good thing thats why its pvpve not pve
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
Enjoy your studies.

Yours in elucidation Plasma,
Star*Dagger

Very well said, Star.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-15-2010, 09:36 AM
I don't remember there being a Code of Conduct for MMO warfare (pvp)

When one sees an opportunity, take it, exploit it, get it, before it gets you.