Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
02-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkornn
I understand I can turn down all these features, but I shouldn't have too, never before have I had a GPU overheat due to software. Its understandable if it happens due to dust, heatsink, fans, But Two brand new GTX 285s overheating because of a game is a little out of hand! I am hoping for a real solution that doesnt include turning down all the pretty graphics!
The Devs have already stated that the default of the game engine is to run graphics cards at 100% capability (redline) and if your system doen't have adaquate cooling (read water cool / cryogenic system NOT air cooling) that you can manually reduce CPU / GPU using commands in the chat box.

Patch before last limited FPS to 60 however all other items in game are running 100% (thus still able to cause Overheating).. as such, if you read the patch notes, the Devs have included options unter Troubleshooting to lower the Vid Card capabilities back down to a more normal level.

The issue has been dealt with. It may not be to your liking, however it is fixed.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Lets set this straight - We are talking about C* Celsius, Nothing in the PC is overclocked, Setting the FPS to 60 overheats both GPUs, I have to set it to 30 to not overheat. I can run 3dMark or Age of Conan - Microsoft Flight Sim x or GTA IV - All day, and they run my GPU and CPU way harder than this game. But still overheating... My friend is loading STO on his PC right now to test. Even at the damn login screen it overheats unless I set FPSmax to 30. Two seperate brand new GTX285s and a brand new PC that has never had one heat issue...
Try turning down AA or Postprocessing. Atually turn off most stuff and watch your temps and turn 1-2 things on at a time and see whats affecting it the most and leave it off.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-14-2010, 05:23 PM
I was having this issue and fixed it by turning off Postprocessing and Dynamic Lighting. Try that and see if it helps. Sounds strange but worked.

The /maxfps 60, vsync-on didn't help my situation.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Sounds like the power supply has a regulation problem or the pc has an airflow issue.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-14-2010, 05:45 PM
the problem is STO,imho. My GPU is at 83 - 89C in STO. And the fan sounds like a helicopter-turbine. I got this issue only with STO, no other game produces so much heat, it is redicoulus. Even Crysis is cooler.

There is definitly something wrong with STO. The graphics is not so good that it would justify so much heat.

Sorry for my bad english, its not my native language.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-16-2010, 06:51 PM
I also think it's a code problem--and I'm a coder.

It's all I can do to get my GPU over 60C in any other game I run (short of wrapping it in fiberlglass insulation), and STO runs 65C at "idle," even when I dumb it down completely.

I'm going to do more experimenting, though.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Well I know this has been discussed again and again, but here goes.

So my GPU has been critically overheating in STO. Here are my stats:

Brand new PC

Intel i7 920

EVGA GTX 285 (not overclocked)

Motherboard and CPU are liquidcooled.

Whenever I play any game (Age of Conan, Crysis, Modern Warfare 2) My GPU sits around 55C-65C, however when I load STO (even while just sitting at the login screen) my GPU temp screams up to 90C+ (even saw it at 98C) So I decided to borrow my room-mates GTX285 made by BFG and it does the same thing, immediatly overheats to 90C+ (Even when we set the fan to 100% locked)

I am using the latest drivers and have never had a heat issue with my GPU (Its brand new, and my room-mates GPU is 3 months old and has never had any heating problems in any game.

All the threads I read state that this is a hardware error, but I have a hard time believe this since I can run Age of Conan at max graphics and push my GPU way harder and never see it go above 70C, yet sitting at the login screen (fullscreen) for STO will overheat my GPU within 2 minutes...

Anyone else having this problem or found a real solution (besides turning down FPS)
You can try running this advance option , it should lessen the load on your GPU and may cause your card to run cooler.

1. Launch the game to the login screen.
2. Click on options.
3. In the options window under "Advanced command line" type "-perframesleep 10 " (not including the quotes), then click OK.
4. Launch the game.

Sincerely,
Cryptic Studios Technical Support

There you go. Given to you by Cryptic themselves. A lot of people are going to tell you to enter in a code command into the chat box. Which has proven to make some peoples computers to run HOTTER than they would have if you just left it alone.

The options tab you are looking for is in the LAUNCHER not the game login screen.

Dont take the advice of random forum members. Just do what Cryptic suggested. There you go. Try it.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-16-2010, 07:00 PM
I had to buy one of those cooling fans you put underneath a laptop (my laptop has all the bells and whistles with an nvidia card). This is the first time I have had to buy this item to cool my laptop, any laptop really - ever. It got so hot running this game that the graphics melted on my screen and the laptop shut down.

Since spending the $25 at best buy - have yet to have any more issues on heat even at the highest settings.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-16-2010, 07:02 PM
well.... the engine is trying to max out cpu and gpu load... most games dont do that, that itself would not be a real problem, other than maybe a noisy gpu cooler that regulates itself to 100% cause of the high temps.
if your case cooling fails, everything is going down the drain... so you either get some better case cooling/gpu cooling .... enable the option to reduce gpu/cpu load or .. well... hope for some patch that reduces the load.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-16-2010, 07:20 PM
The annoying thing about these threads is that the OP's come claiming to seek help.

People give advice, response from OP's "I shouldn't have to do that".

Eventually it becomes apparent that OP's just want a bunch of people to post Me too, Me too
so they can get some sort of Frankenstein mob to head to Cryptic headquarters.

There has been an issue with GPU's overheating and the fix is to adjust in game video settings. Fin.