Lt. Commander
# 21
02-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCaptain View Post
********!

I'm very much aware of the MMO lifecycle having been playing them for a decade but regardless of cycle, it comes down to quality.

STO is a budget game that was released before it was ready, regardless of "MMO cycle" crap becuase it dont matter if you add icing to the cake later if the base filling taste like ****.
An example of not understand all MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewprofit View Post
I don't understand why StarTrek online has scored in the 60's with metacritic while Mass Effect 2 has scored in the 90's. Is mass effect 2 really 30% better than StarTrek online. I mean i know it has plenty of voice content but I imagine it has little space content and focuses solely on ground content like mass effect 1 did. Anyway if you have played Mass Effect 2 what did they do that makes it 30% better than STO?
MMOs always take a hit on release. LOTRO stayed in the 50s for a year.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Apples and oranges. But ME2 has quite a few of my buddies enthralled.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-14-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewprofit View Post
I don't understand why StarTrek online has scored in the 60's with metacritic while Mass Effect 2 has scored in the 90's. Is mass effect 2 really 30% better than StarTrek online. I mean i know it has plenty of voice content but I imagine it has little space content and focuses solely on ground content like mass effect 1 did. Anyway if you have played Mass Effect 2 what did they do that makes it 30% better than STO?
Mass Effect 2 blows Star Trek Online out of the water. It has a much better story line, great voice acting, great ground combat and amazing graphics.

In it's current state STO should be lucky to get a metacritic score in the 60's. It's buggy, not finished and lacks content. The UI has a hard to registering mouse clicks FFS! I have to click an ability at least twice before the game activates it.

As far as "no MMOs are released finished" They are. You see, each game has a certain design document that the developers follow. The game is released unfinished when it's missing certain features which, as per the document, should have been there at launch. That is not the same as say developers adding features which, as per the design document, are slated for implementation after the game launches.

BTW, Mass Effect 2 is an amazing game and you should pick it up. However, if you haven't played Mass Effect 1, it's probably a good idea to play it first, as you'll probably be lost playing ME2.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-14-2010, 05:25 PM
The way I see it, Bioware learned from their previous games and previous mistakes in Mass Effect. Cryptic is on their third MMO and from what I've read, they haven't learned a thing. As one poster already said, a combination of Bridge Commander and Elite Force (two very accessible games that do not require you to be a fan of Star Trek) would have done well. Voice acting is not what's needed (TES III: Morrowind did fine without). What's needed is a little bit more effort put into content. We are probably stuck with the interface and engine as is
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Mass Effect 1 was awesome and I hear ME2 is even better.

Ya know I remember a long time ago when IGN and other sites woudln't review MMOs as they came out. It made sense to wait a few months and see where the community went. I don't know rating a game as it comes out seems weird to me, because a lot can change in only a month.

Look at the open beta, a lot changed in OBT. The Entire GUI changed, and the game underwent countless other changes.

But I Guess when you're a business you gotta rush and review things ASAP
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prons View Post
Mass Effect 1 was awesome and I hear ME2 is even better.

Ya know I remember a long time ago when IGN and other sites woudln't review MMOs as they came out. It made sense to wait a few months and see where the community went. I don't know rating a game as it comes out seems weird to me, because a lot can change in only a month.

Look at the open beta, a lot changed in OBT. The Entire GUI changed, and the game underwent countless other changes.

But I Guess when you're a business you gotta rush and review things ASAP

err.... major issues remain unresolved. heck, not even acknowledged.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleunit View Post
MMOs always take a hit on release. LOTRO stayed in the 50s for a year.
Sorry - this is complete nonsense. LOTRO was stable at launch - heaps of content - and very favourable reviews.

I also disagree with the WoW comparison earlier - played it for 2 years after launch. The 'grind' bit had me laughing - the point is to enjoy the game experience surely - not get to the repetitive end-game? Many folks were upset to see faster levelling introduced.

If the journey is enjoyable you won't be in a hurry to get to the end (which is why ME1 and 2 are so good).
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-14-2010, 06:23 PM
I like ME2 except it may have destroyed my video card. The writting in it is lacking at times as it makes no sense beyond let's do this because it's neat. I liked the first ME better though I hated that it played like a console port. Which is one reason it will get a higher score in and of itself, because of the console crowd.

The negative is it lasted about a week. There is no point in having a multiplayer ME2, it would destroy the story. It's like reading a "good" book but it isn't in anyway an MMO.

It is one of the best story driven RPGs to date. The first one was better though as this one was darker. Had some neat ideas they added of attempting to setup your team and kill you if you made some dumb choices.

You can't reallly compare the two. If you wanted to compare you could only compare ground combat. And actually I think the STO ground combat plays just as good as the ground combat in ME2.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-14-2010, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
err.... major issues remain unresolved. heck, not even acknowledged.
Same in ME2 crashing my system.