Lt. Commander
# 71
02-15-2010, 04:43 AM
It is all about polish on release.

ME2 is a shining example of how to release and offline game. I have not encountered one bug and the game is well crafted.

STO is a rough diamond that 'may' get better in say 6-12 months time provied Cryptic invest and listen to feedback. *** had a rough start and all accounts it is a superb game I hear (from people who are playing it).

Not wanting to compare like for like but Bioware have delayed Star Wars The Old Republic by a year now. STO in my opinion should have been released in the Summer / Winter.
Lt. Commander
# 72
02-15-2010, 05:01 AM
I've noticed a common thread in many of the reviews. That is, the reviewer played maybe a few starting levels, found everything they could wrong with it, then wrote it up fast.

Personally if you want more accurate reviews, you won't bother with the early junk when they come out. Heck when Burning Crusade launched it was all raves and when you read them, it was by some kid who was so high on new content that they totally forgot to get to see how the levels progressed before reviewing. In reality Burning Crusade was rather **** poor when you finally got through it. So much was broken or not even added yet, was just nuts till about a year into it.

Right now STO reviews are suffering from the same flaws. You got people who really shouldn't be writing reviews, getting too emotional too quick and not bothering to review STO based on a more complete picture of the game. Really its amazing some of these even get published. When I wrote for Macologist our editor would pick our reviews apart till they were approved. Many of the ones I've seen are little more than rants which should never be allowed.

Reviews should be "I've played the game, beaten it, and heres my assessment." Not "I've played it for a few hours, so therefore I've seen it all and know all." Unless the game is blatantly unplayable then theres just no excuse for chop shop reviews. STO ain't perfect, but its playable enough that a real reviewer could play to at least endgame level cap before rating. Being an MMO at launch, that would be reasonable enough of an expectation. Course this is what the big mags pay their reviewers to do vs all these .coms which don't seem to care as much.
Lt. Commander
# 73
02-15-2010, 05:03 AM
Metacritic is a waste of time. It's like me makign a huge post on this forum, sayign i give STO a 5/10. Who cares seriously.

What does it matter what a rating system that nobody really cares about, gives the game. If you enjoy it, then continue to play, if you hate it with every ounce of your being, quit, and forget about it.