Captain
So this morning when I launched my game client for STO.. I got a nasty little surprise... My AVG anti-virus protection detect STO as a Trojan Treat. this has NEVER happen to me before, rather it is the 1st time after almost 2 and half years of playing STO...

how ever I am not sure what cause AVG to detected as such... and I am not sure if it was due to ARC platform since, I was using ARC at the time of the launch...

How ever after I hit protect me the game seemed to start up normally.. I have not tested to see this if it happens via the normal launcher (no ARC) and see if I get an AVG....

Here is a link to the message I got: http://i.imgur.com/Fxyu9df.jpg

I was able to launch the game after the message as recieved... but I thought I let you guys know...

so as of right now the time of this post.. I have no issue with STO... If I receive another similar message, I'll be sure to update this thread or make another one...

So this thread is just to notify...
AKA "Comrademoco" Join Date: February 20th, 2012
Follow me on: Twitter - Raptr - Arc
Check out my Screenshots at:Imgur
Join the: R&D_Trade Channel
Community Manager at Borg Defiants

Last edited by generalmoco; 07-23-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Ensign
# 2
07-24-2014, 06:17 PM
From a technical standpoint, this probably isn't a cause for any alarm as IDP.Trojan is a generic. It's not a surefire sign of any infection, just that it detected code that could be a Trojan.

This is probably just a false-positive in action. Add it to AVG's whitelist and be on your merry way, unless Cryptic goes public with some startling info about an update that added malware into STO, since that seems to be the game client itself it's detecting.
Career Officer
# 3
07-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionax77 View Post
From a technical standpoint, this probably isn't a cause for any alarm as IDP.Trojan is a generic. It's not a surefire sign of any infection, just that it detected code that could be a Trojan.....
And since the Game Client does include code to monitor and report back on your activities (e.g. read the TOS statement...) this isn't surprising...
Commander
# 4
07-25-2014, 03:53 AM
Just out of interest, do you get the warning when using launcher instead of ARC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
Traits aren't really power creep - they're lateral power movement
Captain
# 5
08-15-2014, 05:01 PM
I just got this today with AVG. Launched arc, the STO launcher updated, then I clicked "engage" and got the message. I decided to click "protect me", since I I figured I could always patch again if it was a false positive, and better safe than sorry. But the file was too big too quarantine, so I ended up just saying "abort". The STO launcher had closed, so I reopened from ARC, and everything worked fine, with no AVG message.
Survivor of Romulus
# 6
08-15-2014, 05:10 PM
I've seen a false positive where AVG deleted a bunch of system critical .dll files. No problems putting back if you knew how... Got me quite a bunch of money fixing computers .

But AVG, no, I don't trust that piece of software.
^^ I am Stoutes, and I approve of my message ^^