Captain
# 11
07-24-2014, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
So it does...so it does. Why don't you fly a science ship instead of that mirror cruiser? You could actually be useful in a sci ship where you're basically just sitting around waiting to get killed in that thing.
Its maintaining, in its current state, a more than acceptable to me kills/deaths ratio - it just needs a little bit extra off cool down times, which is what a Doffed A2B could provide.

Hence why I only intend to use one A2B2, may as well get better use of my sacrificed Aux...

Also, RSP has saved me, very often. Whole reason why I run two copies.

Ship choice - Yeah, practically any ship except the Galaxy would be objectively better. I don't give a damn. I want to use my Sovereign-Class Star Cruiser, and I'm going to make it effective, with or without your, sarcastic sounding, help. (I wont judge it, wit doesn't convey well on the internet after all)

I don't want to fly some science ship, or some lockbox ship, or anything else - I want to fly a Sovereign, it feels like home. Same with Phasers plus Quantum Torps, its what a canon Sovereign uses, so it is what I use.

Yes, almost any other weapon type would be better - but that isn't enough to make me swap away from what it should use. Same with Torps - I know torps are useless in STO, but they are a fundamental part of Star Trek weapons. I will not compromise that for the sake of gameplay.

And if that means I lose a PvP battle, so what? I PvP for fun, and if I win its a bonus. If I lose, well, I turned up in a Star Cruiser built like the above, against dedicated and skilled PvPers in Fleet/Rep equipped lockbox or lobi ships.

Effectively, I can only win, or do as reasonably expected.
Vanilla PvP - Cheap. Fun. Balanced. Newbie/Casual friendly. PvP as it should be.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1223171

T'Rebek, Nalcari, Karina, Volana, Kilaitia, K'Ahlayr, Ririatss.
Captain
# 12
07-24-2014, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrjwrr View Post
Its maintaining, in its current state, a more than acceptable to me kills/deaths ratio - it just needs a little bit extra off cool down times, which is what a Doffed A2B could provide.

Hence why I only intend to use one A2B2, may as well get better use of my sacrificed Aux...

Also, RSP has saved me, very often. Whole reason why I run two copies.

Ship choice - Yeah, practically any ship except the Galaxy would be objectively better. I don't give a damn. I want to use my Sovereign-Class Star Cruiser, and I'm going to make it effective, with or without your, sarcastic sounding, help. (I wont judge it, wit doesn't convey well on the internet after all)

I don't want to fly some science ship, or some lockbox ship, or anything else - I want to fly a Sovereign, it feels like home. Same with Phasers plus Quantum Torps, its what a canon Sovereign uses, so it is what I use.

Yes, almost any other weapon type would be better - but that isn't enough to make me swap away from what it should use. Same with Torps - I know torps are useless in STO, but they are a fundamental part of Star Trek weapons. I will not compromise that for the sake of gameplay.

And if that means I lose a PvP battle, so what? I PvP for fun, and if I win its a bonus. If I lose, well, I turned up in a Star Cruiser built like the above, against dedicated and skilled PvPers in Fleet/Rep equipped lockbox or lobi ships.

Effectively, I can only win, or do as reasonably expected.
Well poking at you with some sarcasm, but canon sovereign doesn't use a 360 ap beam, nor a KCB, and like the Enterprise-E had both photon & quantum torpedoes on hand.

Oh, and torpedoes are far from useless.

[Combat (Self)] Your Lunge deals 3252 (1916) Physical Damage(Critical) to Heavy Tactical Drone.
If you have come to the forums, to complain about the AFK penalty, than it is WAI.
MACO/OMEGA/KHG Accolade Bug Link
Praetor of The Romulan Tal Shiar fleet
Captain
# 13
07-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwraith77 View Post
Well poking at you with some sarcasm, but canon sovereign doesn't use a 360 ap beam, nor a KCB, and like the Enterprise-E had both photon & quantum torpedoes on hand.

Oh, and torpedoes are far from useless.

Yeah, those are the compromises I've already made...

And strictly, Photon and Quantum Torps are launched from the same launchers, and as that isn't actually reflected in current STO mechanics, I went Quantums as they are more identifiable with the Sovereign than Photons.
Vanilla PvP - Cheap. Fun. Balanced. Newbie/Casual friendly. PvP as it should be.

Captain
# 14
07-24-2014, 09:35 AM
I am going to have to ask the obvious now though.

If you have no planes of changing anything about your build why ask for advice or other thoughts at all.

You asked if 1 a2b with blue doffs would do. I think your mostly hearing no not really. However it sounds like you know what you want to do anyway. So just do it I guess.

The advice you got about the sci ship... was sound. In general sci/sci is more effective then a sci cruiser. If your weapons and ship are RP choices. Then there it is I guess. Sift thought the advice you got and change what your feel like if anything I guess.
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Captain
# 15
07-24-2014, 02:16 PM
TBF, I did say I would be replacing best part of half the equipment, and the AP Omni will go eventually.

Last week I put A2D on it - and it was a very good change, made it fast enough and turn well enough to keep on target against BoPs, and added a fair whack to survivability. So, now I want to run A2B as well to reduce some cooldowns - TT and BFAW are most important, and RSP would be nice, if A2B works on it.

Now, as I understand it, I can use 5 Doffs, so I have Law working on torpedoes, 3 blue Doffed A2B and Doffed A2D gives me 2/3rds uptime on A2D, and 6 to 8 seconds taken off BFAW and TT, and means I cant run HE while A2B is up for obvious reasons. Now that sounds workable.

However, because of the expense of the proposed 3 blue A2B Doffs, I want to know if I what I want my proposed A2B/A2D to do will actually work.

Captain
# 16
07-24-2014, 03:09 PM
...and people wonder why I'm sarcastic. It's cause I already know the mentality of these Fed cupcakes. I see it every day in Ker'rat and CnH and arenas. Players nowadays don't even want to learn and will not accept help, no matter how bad they are. In their mind they rule the quadrant in their failboat cruising around doing nothing other than surviving for a few seconds while being an absolute detriment to their team. I just can't take it any more! Learn to play or gtfo! It's not coincidence that it takes 2:1 or even 3:1 odds in Ker'rat for the Feds to even be somewhat competitive. It's because the majority of Feds have the same mentality as the OP.
----
@DevolvedOne
Captain
# 17
07-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skurf View Post
...and people wonder why I'm sarcastic. It's cause I already know the mentality of these Fed cupcakes. I see it every day in Ker'rat and CnH and arenas. Players nowadays don't even want to learn and will not accept help, no matter how bad they are. In their mind they rule the quadrant in their failboat cruising around doing nothing other than surviving for a few seconds while being an absolute detriment to their team. I just can't take it any more! Learn to play or gtfo! It's not coincidence that it takes 2:1 or even 3:1 odds in Ker'rat for the Feds to even be somewhat competitive. It's because the majority of Feds have the same mentality as the OP.
Actually more like a good few minutes for an average KDF, but don't let the truth get in the way of your little rant. Sometimes two average KDFs, and very rarely three.

Anyway, if you cant adapt to opponent strategy then you need to gtfo - no sense in whining just because Feds are more numerous. You KDF'ers sign up to taking on 4 to 5 feds in Fedballs on your own or with one or two others as soon as you entered Ker'rat as a KDF, so to use a phrase you would use, stfu and stop complaining, or get more players and beat Feds at their own game of making balls, like HoBO does whenever their scouters get killed and send for backup.

But no, you all just complain that Feds form Fed balls; of course they will, its Ker'rat, a lonely Fed is a dead Fed from being vaped.

You lot build ships capable of critting for 50k plus, so I build my ship to deal with it - I don't complain you lot crit to much, you are completely within your rights to crit for high 5 or 6 digit numbers, its what you need to get through Fedballs, as we all know what happens when a KDF cant kill the ball - they either die, or becoming increasingly common, run. What happened to "Today is a good day to die", and "Prepare for ramming speed!"

Captain
# 18
07-24-2014, 04:38 PM
@DevolvedOne

dood, you do come off a bit sarcastic there...but i think its a valid feeling of eye rolling i got while reading the thread...lol

@cbrjwrr

man....i dont even know where to start....if you are new player i understand your questions...and i feel you have gotten great responses to push you towards optimizing your build for kerrat

but your last post man....i have to break it down a little...

you think a sovy is going to be able to "keep up" with bops? man no matter what you run you are so rarely gonna land a solid torp hit....and to use that cooldown doff using 1 torp fore and aft? yikes man. i would advise against that so highly i wouldnt know the words to begin the conversation with.

also you speak of being able to run hazzard emitters more because of a2b.... you do know hazzards is aux power dependent right? and unless you have some magical batteries ive not heard of there is no way you will get anything beneficial as far as hull heals out of an a2b cooldowned haxzzards.

if you want this build to work man, try taking the advice laid out for you above. or just fly how you want and disregard maxing your build....thats up to you.

edit: i also see you are running the impulse cap cell....why are you running away in a cruiser?

"RPing" your "PVP" is such a hard thing to do man.

have fun kill bad guys

Last edited by thishorizon; 07-24-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Captain
# 19
07-24-2014, 04:51 PM
ok...since i dont use the skill planner....here is something for you to think about....

tt1, faw2
epts1, rsp1, eptw3, dem3
et1, a2id, dem2
ph1, he2
st1

8 beam arrays
2pc borg set (with visuals turned off!)
core with [amp] mod
good resil shields

2x neutroniums, plas leech, jump console (for nuke)
2x shield somethings...maybe cap bonus or whatever
2 phaser consoles

3 purp dmg ctrl doffs, 1 tac team doff, a2id doff

i mean....really that ship is not built to do any kind of damage....but if i were going to use it for general suppression and a bit of tanking, this is what i would do.

but honestly....its just the wrong ship to try and do anything offensive in. you can tell from the console layout that its designed for a support role....hopefully as an engineer.

eh, idunno man...i feel like your performance is going to suffer as a sci captain in a cruiser....i mean....at least go a full tac heavy cruiser like the fleet sovy. excel, avenger.....

hope that helps....not sure it will based on your responses from some very good players...

have fun kill bad guys
Captain
# 20
07-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thishorizon View Post
man....i dont even know where to start....if you are new player i understand your questions...and i feel you have gotten great responses to push you towards optimizing your build for kerrat

but your last post man....i have to break it down a little...

you think a sovy is going to be able to "keep up" with bops? man no matter what you run you are so rarely gonna land a solid torp hit....and to use that cooldown doff using 1 torp fore and aft? yikes man. i would advise against that so highly i wouldnt know the words to begin the conversation with.

also you speak of being able to run hazzard emitters more because of a2b.... you do know hazzards is aux power dependent right? and unless you have some magical batteries ive not heard of there is no way you will get anything beneficial as far as hull heals out of an a2b cooldowned haxzzards.

if you want this build to work man, try taking the advice laid out for you above. or just fly how you want and disregard maxing your build....thats up to you.

edit: i also see you are running the impulse cap cell....why are you running away in a cruiser?

"RPing" your "PVP" is such a hard thing to do man.

have fun kill bad guys
You need to actually read what I wrote again - I said it kept on target, not keep up with, massive difference. Also I said I would have to run HE less often, not more often. Honestly, I don't critique builds very often, but if I did I would at least read what they actually wrote.

Using Law is just a suggestion - I currently use a Doff to reduce TTs cooldown, and with that reduction now taken care of by A2B, I could put someone else there.

The Impulse isn't for running away - the opposite actually, because using Full Impulse to catch someone up, or get somewhere faster redistributes your power to engines, most likely at a time when you want to keep power to your other systems. It is also has the advantage that it is faster than full impulse while it is on.

It actually isn't very good as a run away tool, as not only does it takes a second or so to prime up and accelerate, leaving enough time for your opponent to finish you off, but it also kills your turn rate at a time when you most likely want to dodge out of fire - Evasive Manoeuvre's serves far better in that regard thanks to its various bonuses like added turn rate and defence.