Lieutenant
Are we allowed to reference the short stories in Star Trek Magazine or the novel "Star Trek Online: the Needs of the Many" in our foundry missions?

Last edited by dwapook; 07-24-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Career Officer
# 2
07-24-2014, 05:14 AM
No you can't.

Even if it is stories about STO, the EULA specifically says you cannot. It has to be a reference from the TV series or the movies up to Nemesis.
Rihannsu
# 3
07-24-2014, 07:26 AM
From the FAQ, sort of, the FAQ just says to look up the "list of properties".

And... the old link to the EULA in the FAQ is gone. do we have a new one?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
07-24-2014, 07:39 AM
The EULA is still a stickied thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=209216

Quote:
You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines).
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Rihannsu
# 5
07-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Ah, ok. this does seem like a bit of a grey area though. One could argue that some of what the OP referenced is part of STO, just not in game. A lot of the stuff that is in-game as the Path to 2409 is in some issues of the magazine, but in a different form. I'm not sure if all of it is the same. I think some of the magazine version might be longer than the game version, not sure.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 6
07-24-2014, 12:32 PM
A related question. Are we allowed to use characters like Tuvok? I'm sure we are allowed to use Quinn or Drake and other game characters, but what about, Spock, Worf, Scotty, Mcoy, Tuvok, and Tasha? These characters have had their rights rented by Cryptic. Also what about Madred, D'Tan, or Icheb etc. where the ingame versions are not based upon the actual actors?
Delta Rising is the best ex... oh sod it, I just want my Jupiter and Typhoon

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it!
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Captain
# 7
07-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
A related question. Are we allowed to use characters like Tuvok? I'm sure we are allowed to use Quinn or Drake and other game characters, but what about, Spock, Worf, Scotty, Mcoy, Tuvok, and Tasha? These characters have had their rights rented by Cryptic. Also what about Madred, D'Tan, or Icheb etc. where the ingame versions are not based upon the actual actors?
Branflakes (I think) said a long time ago that we cannot use the likeness of any real-life actor, even if said actor has an "official" STO character modeled after them. Less accurate likenesses are more of a grey area, but I'd err on the side of caution.
Commander
# 8
07-24-2014, 02:05 PM
I think you're reading it as more restrictive than it is.

It depends what you're referencing exactly. STO's licence doesn't include books, but it takes a lot of the story line of the books in its own reworked timeline. Virinat came from the books, and it is central to the Romulan story arc. Sela's later life was also lifted from the books. They don't form part of the cannon of STO but names, places and ideas are incorporated regardless of licence.

If you were to include a character, or start quoting or turning a whole story line into a mission - then you have a problem. But referencing a place, person or event in abstract would be fine.

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Lieutenant
# 9
07-24-2014, 03:17 PM
I'm not really so sure about that.. Cryptic has to get it all approved by CBS whom probably have a broader understanding of all the individual rights divided between the authors, publishers, and themselves.. No idea what kind of hoops they have to go through to use any of that stuff and can't really assume the same freedoms extend to us..

If it did, would be nice to now!
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
07-24-2014, 04:06 PM
Best advice, if you're unsure of something, don't do it.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic