Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,416
# 11
07-24-2014, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Ah, ok. this does seem like a bit of a grey area though. One could argue that some of what the OP referenced is part of STO, just not in game. A lot of the stuff that is in-game as the Path to 2409 is in some issues of the magazine, but in a different form. I'm not sure if all of it is the same. I think some of the magazine version might be longer than the game version, not sure.
Only be gray if you go about referencing the material in aroundabout way. Like indirectly talking about something. For an example, with the Destiny Novels, we can't say "The Typhon Pact", but could go about saying "the Pact".


Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
A related question. Are we allowed to use characters like Tuvok? I'm sure we are allowed to use Quinn or Drake and other game characters, but what about, Spock, Worf, Scotty, Mcoy, Tuvok, and Tasha? These characters have had their rights rented by Cryptic. Also what about Madred, D'Tan, or Icheb etc. where the ingame versions are not based upon the actual actors?
Q: Can you use a canonical character?

A: Yes, as long as it doesn't violate actor's likeness rights.
Quote:
You may NOT use the first name or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.
I wanted to use Kor in my Foundry mission and I asked around, especially with CBS legal. I got the answer that it was okay to use canonical characters, as long as you DO NOT violate the actor's likeness rights (aka, make Kirk to look like Shatner or Pine, or Spock to look like Nimoy or Quinto). But there is NOTHING that prevents you from making your own characterizations of Spock or Kirk.

Another way is making some adjustments to a canonical character with likeness rights. A good example, is that there was a popular Foundry author (I forgot who), who added Picard in one of his storyline missions, but he avoided the likeness rights by putting Geordi glasses on him. So you could take that route too.




With Cryptic-created characters, I do believe they are okay. Hope so, got B'vat making an appearance.

Last edited by azurianstar; 07-24-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 466
# 12
07-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Has anyone at all had any kind of interaction with Cryptic of a potential violation of the EULA? Has anything been reported/investigated/removed/cautioned? If so, what were the circumstances? If not, they likely couldn't care less. A lot of EULA's sound very strict because Legal like to cover their arse just in case, but they're only concerned about the slight possibility of a limited type of specific cases - in this case it is probably us trying to recreate the appearance of actors or use JJ stuff - c'est tout.

& Rose Tinted Mirror (Fed 31+)
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,716
# 13
07-25-2014, 02:24 AM
Well I was going to do a senior staff type conference with all the NPCs ranked Admiral I could, looks like I'll have to drop Tuvok.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,433
# 14
07-25-2014, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
Well I was going to do a senior staff type conference with all the NPCs ranked Admiral I could, looks like I'll have to drop Tuvok.
He's off in the Delta Quadrant anyway.

@greendragoon
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,691
# 15
07-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
Well I was going to do a senior staff type conference with all the NPCs ranked Admiral I could, looks like I'll have to drop Tuvok.
Just make some up. If you want I can send you the sliders for one of my OCs, Admiral Amnell Kree (joined Trill, Peregrine pilot, hardass Dominion War vet who doesn't suffer fools).
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,716
# 16
07-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
Just make some up. If you want I can send you the sliders for one of my OCs, Admiral Amnell Kree (joined Trill, Peregrine pilot, hardass Dominion War vet who doesn't suffer fools).
Thanks. I'm still writing 'till the lag thing gets sorted. The rate I'm writing nowadays though it's going to be days long .

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 936
# 17
07-26-2014, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I wanted to use Kor in my Foundry mission and I asked around, especially with CBS legal. I got the answer that it was okay to use canonical characters, as long as you DO NOT violate the actor's likeness rights (aka, make Kirk to look like Shatner or Pine, or Spock to look like Nimoy or Quinto). But there is NOTHING that prevents you from making your own characterizations of Spock or Kirk.

Another way is making some adjustments to a canonical character with likeness rights. A good example, is that there was a popular Foundry author (I forgot who), who added Picard in one of his storyline missions, but he avoided the likeness rights by putting Geordi glasses on him. So you could take that route too.
That would be "The Inner Darkness" by Leviathan99. Of course, some characters are easier to do that with than others. Odo comes to mind - he's a Changeling, so you could redesign him to look however you jolly well please, and all you'd need to explain this is a bit of dialogue saying he's decided to change up his appearance.

Then there's the curious case of "Romulan Ensign Female 04", a full Empress Sela costume that has been available in the Foundry since Day One. Given that the devs put it there in the first place, you'd think they took care of any likeness issues beforehand, right? As it turns out, not so much. As discussed in a recent Foundry Roundtable podcast, Cryptic's permission to use Denise Crosby's likeness as Sela technically doesn't extend to the Foundry, but the higher-ups were apparently unaware that the costume was even there until recently; a classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand had done. Hence, BranFlakes's warning to authors not to use "Romulan Ensign Female 04" as Sela - which, alas, came way too late for me and my Romulan Republic trilogy. (I wound up reluctantly writing her out of the trilogy, not so much for fear of legal repercussions as expecting that the Sela costume will, at some point in the future, be modified or removed from the Foundry altogether, either of which would break Parts II and III and force me to rewrite them anyway.)

Last edited by paxfederatica; 07-26-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,416
# 18
07-27-2014, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
That would be "The Inner Darkness" by Leviathan99. Of course, some characters are easier to do that with than others. Odo comes to mind - he's a Changeling, so you could redesign him to look however you jolly well please, and all you'd need to explain this is a bit of dialogue saying he's decided to change up his appearance.
Thank you, and indeed you can.

In fact, it could work with any of the characters and say they were undercover. Picard was a Romulan, Sisko and the crew were Klingons. So someone could go that route too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
Then there's the curious case of "Romulan Ensign Female 04", a full Empress Sela costume that has been available in the Foundry since Day One. Given that the devs put it there in the first place, you'd think they took care of any likeness issues beforehand, right? As it turns out, not so much. As discussed in a recent Foundry Roundtable podcast, Cryptic's permission to use Denise Crosby's likeness as Sela technically doesn't extend to the Foundry, but the higher-ups were apparently unaware that the costume was even there until recently; a classic case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand had done. Hence, BranFlakes's warning to authors not to use "Romulan Ensign Female 04" as Sela - which, alas, came way too late for me and my Romulan Republic trilogy. (I wound up reluctantly writing her out of the trilogy, not so much for fear of legal repercussions as expecting that the Sela costume will, at some point in the future, be modified or removed from the Foundry altogether, either of which would break Parts II and III and force me to rewrite them anyway.)
Indeed. But I doubt many authors know that, so maybe if they ever upgrade the Foundry UI, there is like a community clipboard that points to certain warnings and tips.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,782
# 19
07-27-2014, 10:48 AM
Do not let evil capitalism get you down!

Just do what the undine do, call him Tooooooooooooooooooovok!

And say you are doing a parody!

Just say he is using a holographic disguise!
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
PWE Community Manager
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 834
# 20
07-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
From the FAQ, sort of, the FAQ just says to look up the "list of properties".

And... the old link to the EULA in the FAQ is gone. do we have a new one?
Fixed this so the link now goes to the EULA Forum Thread.

~CaptainSmirk
Trevor "CaptainSmirk" | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter: @trekonlinegame | "Like" us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter: @PWECaptainSmirk
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, please file a "Forums and Website" support ticket here.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:14 AM.