Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Gameplay Bug Reports
Login

Notices

Lt. Commander
So, due to the poor database STO runs, my MK IV rare engine reward from the "Past Imperfect" mission was replaced by the server with a copy of my old MK II common engine. I reported the bug (#574878) and asked for my engine back. This was on the FIRST of FEBRUARY. On the 7th, a week later, I received the following canned reply:

Thank you for taking the time to submit this bug report. Your issue has been processed and entered into our database. We will thoroughly investigate and take all appropriate steps based on the information you have provided. If you feel that you may have not included all of the information which may have been relevant, or that you have found new information, please create a new Bug Report. All Bug Reports should include as much information as possible about the issue, and as many steps to reproduce the issue as are available. Due to the number of reports we receive, we are unable to respond to each report individually. If you require individual assistance from our support staff, please submit a GM Help request. We will then attempt to contact you in-game as soon as possible. This MMORPG is a living and evolving experience. As such, the Game will continue to change as we implement and polish new features, which are a key in the continuing development of a dynamic play environment.

Yay, so after a week they have entered a line item of a bug, and rather than fixing my issue, have told me to contact a GM. Wonderful.

So I submitted yet another report under the contact a GM tab (#626115). Here is what I wrote:

I did the "Past Imperfect" Mission and was rewarded rare "Efficient Impulse Engines Mk IV" that give +5 Weapon Power Setting, +5 Shield Power Setting, +11 Flight Speed, +18 Turn Rate and +69 Flight Speed at full impulse.

As soon as I got them I replaced my current Mk ii common engines, which I moved to my inventory. Then I zoned out of that mission. When zoning out, I got the "server not responding" error. When I came back in game, my new engines were gone and I had my old common Mk II engines in their place. I also had the Mk ii commons in my inventory.

I believe that your server does not force a save when the ship is updated or upgraded, so when you change components, if you are dropped before the next save your new items are lost.

I sent in a bug report on this 6 days ago #574878, and it has been processed. and they told me in the CS Response to submit a GM help request, so this is the second formal request. I want that engine back!!! Please! This week!

Today, the 14th of feb, I got another response:

Thank you for contacting us about this. We want to know if, due to recent modifications, your issue resolved? If not, please edit this ticket and include as much information as you can, so that we can do our best to resolve your issue. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for playing!

My answer:

Edit 14 Feb 10: NO THE ISSUE HAS NOT MAGICALLY RESOLVED ITSELF. Your database is STILL having issues. My missing engine is STILL MISSING AFTER TWO WEEKS!!!

I am not the only person with this problem. For a partial rundown on the problem, and to see how people are trying to exploit your buggy database that improperly saves changes, see this thread, which is now 14 pages long:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=101677

Here are other people reporting ON YOUR GAME BUG FORUM ABOUT THE SAME ISSUE:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=116581

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=116337

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=116262

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=115756

Now, if you take the time to read through all of these threads like I have, you will notice the underlying commonalities:
1. New good items are being placed on your ship in place of older outdated items.
2. The person then goes to another zone, and is able to use item for a limited period of time.
3. After a period of time, upon zoning, the person notices the new item has been replaced by a copy of the old item. The new item is gone, and the old item may still be in the person's possession if they just moved it to their inventory and did not sell it.

I do not understand why this is so hard to fix. You should have database logs of every item. Look at the engine on my ship. Now look at my mission log. See what time I completed "Past Imperfect" and replaced the Mk II with the blue Mk iv. Now follow in the database and see when the Mk IV was copied over by a copy of the white Mk II. Now look and see what my character was doing in the 30 seconds prior to this bug happening.

Then fix the bug. If you need to have the server force a save every time that a change is made, THEN DO IT. Missing items are NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Then give me my Mk IV engine back. Then go through the above threads and give all of the people there their items back.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 08:05 PM
What mission is Past Imperfect, I don't recall what it entailed?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrael
What mission is Past Imperfect, I don't recall what it entailed?
*Spoiler*

Past Imperfect

Given by: Admiral Quinn
Level: Lt Cmdr 5 (15)
Repeatable: No
Preceded by: City on the Edge of Never
Followed by: The Doomsday Device
Episode: Klingon Front

Rewards
Skillpoints: 309
BOff Skillpoints: 180
Starfleet Merits: 207
Plus one of the following:

* Efficient Impulse Engines Mk IV
* Paratrinic Shield Array Mk IV
* Plasma Disruptor Hybrid Beam Array Mk IV
* Electro-Plasma Dual Heavy Cannons Mk IV

The Guardian of Forever has transported you and your ship to the year 2270.

Somewhere here are a group of augmented Klingons intent on altering the past.

Travel to the Gateway system in the Hromi Sector. Stop them, save Miral Paris and restore the timeline. If you fail, the realist you know may be gone forever.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illililili
*Spoiler*

Past Imperfect

Given by: Admiral Quinn
Level: Lt Cmdr 5 (15)
Repeatable: No
Preceded by: City on the Edge of Never
Followed by: The Doomsday Device
Episode: Klingon Front

Rewards
Skillpoints: 309
BOff Skillpoints: 180
Starfleet Merits: 207
Plus one of the following:

* Efficient Impulse Engines Mk IV
* Paratrinic Shield Array Mk IV
* Plasma Disruptor Hybrid Beam Array Mk IV
* Electro-Plasma Dual Heavy Cannons Mk IV

The Guardian of Forever has transported you and your ship to the year 2270.

Somewhere here are a group of augmented Klingons intent on altering the past.

Travel to the Gateway system in the Hromi Sector. Stop them, save Miral Paris and restore the timeline. If you fail, the realist you know may be gone forever.

Ok, then it was the one I was thinking of. This mission was the second time I experienced this bug. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't directly related to certain missions. If you are continuing to play(I see no point in it so I have stopped) I'll warn you now. A mission a bit later involving traveling to the alt-Universe through a rift will cause the same thing, if I'm correct.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm not trying to play devil's advocate, but, something tells me this would be fixed a lot quicker if the item you swapped with got cloned in your inventory, effectively giving you two of the same reward.
This could be exploited so easily at peak times when the server load is high, and server not responding messages are sadly common.

However, having this info means I am not going to upgrade my ship until I am in sector space.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by denare View Post
I'm not trying to play devil's advocate, but, something tells me this would be fixed a lot quicker if the item you swapped with got cloned in your inventory, effectively giving you two of the same reward.
This could be exploited so easily at peak times when the server load is high, and server not responding messages are sadly common.

However, having this info means I am not going to upgrade my ship until I am in sector space.
That was precisely what happened during OB and I suspect this bug is directly related to the "fix" that was implemented to stop it from happening.

As for sector space being a safer bet, the last time this happened I swapped out an item in sector space before entering a mission. When I came out, my item had been replaced with the previous item.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2010, 11:36 AM
ROFL!

Today, 15 Feb I just received my third response to this issue:

Thanks! We are currently looking into this issue. We have refiled your ticket as a bug report on your behalf. While we understand you would like us to be able to resolve your issue quickly, some issues require further development from departments outside our control and cannot be resolved by a GM. Please rest assured that our developers work to resolve all bugs as quickly as possible. To help us provide the highest quality service to our players, please use the "Report a Bug" button in the Help and Support menu, rather than "Request GM Help", when reporting possible bugs that may not require immediate intervention by a GM. This MMORPG is a living and evolving experience. As such, the Game will continue to change as we implement and polish new features, which are a key in the continuing development of a dynamic play environment. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for playing!

So, after 15 days, my bug report (#574878) response, which told me to contact a GM (which I did, as GM ticket #626115), has been REFILED as a bug report by the GMs! Oh, and I check again, my engine is STILL MISSING.

So, to summarize, after 15 days, we have this:

PLAYER - Hi, I have a missing item because of your database not saving my ship changes.

Bug Response - A missing item? That is a GM Issue. please contact a GM for item reimbursement. Thanks!

PLAYER - Hi GMs! I have a missing item because of your database not saving my ship changes. I was SPECIFICALLY TOLD BY YOUR BUG REPORT TEAM to contact a GM. And here is a list of others with THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!

GM Response - OMG! A Database issue! I will refile that as a bug report for you! Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

PLAYER - ?!?!? *Slaps Forehead*
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-16-2010, 09:36 AM
THIS IS OBSCENE!!!

The whole process is completely disjointed.

I'm a couple of levels away from getting this mission but now I think I'll just stand by until I see something WAD from a GM or MOD.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-16-2010, 10:02 AM
I love how people who have absolutely no idea how a system runs, is automatically a genius and a system wizkid as soon as something of theres breaks.

Its been filed, you don't know what the problem is, and shouldn't assume to know what the problem is. It will be found, and squashed, and then you have every right to complain if they don't reimburse you, but do NOT think you can just run your mouth thinking you know exactly what they should do, or how easy it is.

EDIT: next post by OP will be the standard "OMG I work as a <insert big important sounding computer type job thingy here>" post
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I had the same problem. Took over a week for a response, during which time I managed to hit Rear Admiral 5, making the engines useless anyway. The response I got was basically -

"Can you be more specific? We don't have enough information to help you with this matter."

Even though I described in detail exactly what had happened, what I lost, when I lost it, etc.

Good Game. I know they're swamped with tickets, but a week turnaround for a ticket for a lost item? Anyone who plays semi regularly will have outlevelled that item by that time.

My two bits.