Lt. Commander
# 11
02-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow, I would think a game so incomplete would be free to download and play with maybe some premium options, not as expensive as it is to start. Isn't that type of game usually called "open beta"?

Hopefully there will be improvements quickly, like in the website as well. I was wondering why there was only a list of Federation vessels and then only 4 out of 36 with any info.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-14-2010, 09:48 PM
No. Open beta is when a game is tested. MMOs are always released 'incomplete' since they are always growing. They are not, after all, single player games. That this one is more incomplete then the devs probably wanted is due more to deadlines then anything else. However, the game is most definately playable in it's current, young, incarnation.

If you want a 'finished' MMO, you can always play Shadowbane, Horizons, or Darkness and Light. They're all finished. Of course, they're also all out of business....but hey! When you stop growing, you die. This is as true of MMOs as anything else.
Lt. Commander
What you said is true about growing and it being new. Which is why I hope someone can answer my question of why we can only make two toons. Every other MMO I have played you have at least 5 or more. With all the alien choices, even if in one faction, as well as the different classes such as tactical engineering etc, you'd think you could try more than just two variants. Is it something you have to unlock? Or is it something they will add with future expantions? I know this is a brand new game, but it seems like they would let you try out more stuff. If someone has the answer to why we can only try to variant toons let me know please.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-14-2010, 10:34 PM
You get a third slot once you hit level 6, also.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Now THAT question I haven't a clue about Firechicken. Seems pretty danged stupid to me to only have 3 slots. I guess they want to make more money on the Cstore by selling slots, but that's still not all that bright, in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-15-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechicken13
What you said is true about growing and it being new. Which is why I hope someone can answer my question of why we can only make two toons. Every other MMO I have played you have at least 5 or more. With all the alien choices, even if in one faction, as well as the different classes such as tactical engineering etc, you'd think you could try more than just two variants. Is it something you have to unlock? Or is it something they will add with future expantions? I know this is a brand new game, but it seems like they would let you try out more stuff. If someone has the answer to why we can only try to variant toons let me know please.
In part, I think it's a question of replayability. There are only so many ways you can develop your character, and only so many things your character can do, that there's not much point in playing a half-dozen of 'em. While I'd like the option anyway, I currently don't see myself levelling up even a second toon Fed-side any time soon.

And what Kamui said. Limiting options is a great way to create demand for 'em.

Edit: BTW, you unlock a 3rd character slot when you unlock Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-15-2010, 03:51 PM
I can agree with you on some points, however, I think there's a definite difference between making improvements and an unfinished product.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-15-2010, 04:12 PM
regarding the volume of character slots, it's mentioned many times in other threads - most MMOs give you a bunch of slots for your toons, say 8-10 for argument's sakes, STO gives you 2+1(when you unlock the klingons) BUT it isn't just a single character file that's being stored for each of your 3 slots, remember you have customisation data there for each bridge officer and your owned ships too.

so if you fill your slots with level 45s, you're effectively storing data for 3x6 (1 player + 5 BOFFs) characters plus 3x5+ ship configs... Quite a bit more space usage than for most MMOs
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer
Don't expect there to be much to do when you do make a Klingon.
I think a lot of people seem to forget that when City of Heroes launched, there was only one faction (Heroes) and no PvP. They added hero vs. hero PvP later and City of Villains added the other faction.

Although some people will disagree with me, CoH was one of the best MMOs I ever played, which made Champions so much more of a disappointment to me.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx_PghPA View Post
Although some people will disagree with me, CoH was one of the best MMOs I ever played, which made Champions so much more of a disappointment to me.
i agree, though it was the very improvement of CoH that gives me great hope for the Champions franchise though i wish Cryptic would get off this Arcade Fighter button mashing bent they're on with this engine ><