Lt. Commander
Dear Cryptic,

Thank you for creating a product that allows people to pursue interactive adventures in the Star Trek universe. In particular:

* Space combat reflects the lore, particularly with respect to the importance of shields; the fundamental difference between directed energy and torpedo attacks; and the ability of skilled characters to affect ship combat significantly.

* The ability to customize one's character, crew, and ship is awesome.

* If one bothers to read the text, story-type missions mostly make sense, and generally follow Trek conventions.

* Repeatable missions are quick to do when one is crunched for time.

* Exploration missions offer rewards comparable to straight-up combat.

* The number of different surface environments available at game launch really is pretty good, considering that each different biome requires numerous matching plant and rock models.

* Space looks beautiful.

* You're working on more diplomatic options in encounters.

If I can make one request, please don't give in to the crowd begging for the base game to be more difficult. By all means allow people the option to increase difficulty or impose a death penalty on themselves, but don't force the softer-core Trekkers out. Really, the game is big enough for all of us, and will continue to grow with time.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-15-2010, 07:25 AM
This game gets better with every patch!

STO is the best Scifi mmo out there.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Good post, I agree with your praise. These are the strong suits of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2010, 07:41 AM
For your title, did you even watch star trek? If not, Go watch a few shows, then come back to this game, and compare them, and tell me they are they same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle_of_Night View Post
Dear Cryptic,

Thank you for creating a product that allows people to pursue interactive adventures in the Star Trek universe. In particular:
Let me fix this one for you: Thank you for creating a product that allows people to repeat interactive adventures in the Star Trek Box. In particular:

Quote:
* Space combat reflects the lore, particularly with respect to the importance of shields; the fundamental difference between directed energy and torpedo attacks; and the ability of skilled characters to affect ship combat significantly.
Having your crewmen bash the one button console over and over while you slam on the spacebar over and over reflects the lore? Again watch the shows, LCARS has no spacebar!

Quote:
The humans are lacking on this option, all the male characters still look like they are unshaved, and resemble every other character out there.

Quote:
* If one bothers to read the text, story-type missions mostly make sense, and generally follow Trek conventions.
yeah because in the lore they always shoot first and ask questions later, No diplomacy options? No course of interacting with the NPC's just star fleet wants them dead so go do it! And yeah I read all 2 lines of text in each mission.

Quote:
ok now your starting to sound like you where hired to post this crap.

Quote:
yeah because all the rewards are all the same and crap.

Quote:
* The number of different surface environments available at game launch really is pretty good, considering that each different biome requires numerous matching plant and rock models.
did you get to see all 3 generated maps already? Nice, glad you liked them.

Quote:
* Space looks beautiful.
yeah it does, in other games and in real life, but in STO it looks like a arcade game stuck at Chucky cheese.

Quote:
do you know some thing the rest of STO does not know about? Like what options are you talking about?

Quote:
If I can make one request, please don't give in to the crowd begging for the base game to be more difficult. By all means allow people the option to increase difficulty or impose a death penalty on themselves, but don't force the softer-core Trekkers out. Really, the game is big enough for all of us, and will continue to grow with time.
Don't worry, in time you and maybe a handful that will all be left, so you can have it anyway you like. Because this game is About you only right? Good post here. Glad that you came out and talked about what You like.

Now I am not trying to bash your post, but really, you act like you have a game we all do not have. You act like there is nothing wrong with it. Wish I got your copy of STO I would still be playing it too. But from what I see all around the forums and other sights, the game your talking about and what cryptic released are 2 different games.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Quote:
LOL. The space combat reflects Star Trek Legacy, nothing more, nothing less. Space combat plays out nothing like a real star trek battle. You do NOTHING but spam space bar and hit your abilities once they come off a cool-down, there is no tactics involved whatsoever. You don't even need to maintain a broadside, you can just aim at your target and hit reverse with full power to weapons until the AI is dead. It is boring. For a game that boasts nothing but its space combat, it should have been a lot more than a 2D arcade space shooter.

Quote:
The char customisation before you enter the game is just about the only thing City of... I mean Champions... I mean Star Trek Online has. But thats fun for a whole 5 minutes and hardly worthwhile when the core game sucks. Char customisation sould supplement your experience, not be the experience.

Quote:
Yeah! Seek out new life-forms and then massacre them while repeatedly spamming 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, F F F, 1,2,3 until the nightmarish ground combat from hell is over. The missions are dull, boring, soulless, insanely instanced. Once you've done 5 space/ground missions you have literally done them all.

Quote:
They're still mind-numbingly boring. Kill 5 squadrons of 5 at least 5 times for your 15 skill points! Don't forget to 'hail starfleet' after to report your success in massacaring the enemy, fed style! Or how about 'exploring' which consists of flying to an instanced magical 10x10 mathematic grid box world where you can repeatedly press 'f' and try to contain the excitement as you anxiously await the next instanced bore-fest! It's like your fishing, except it's 100x more boring.

Quote:
Except there's no real exploring. You're just jumping through a series of hoops for a little 'treat' at the end, most MMO's disguise these hoops as somewhat interesting and fun to do things, Cryptic on the other hand haven't even bothered. Press F, run here, Press F, run back, Press F, beam up.

Quote:
You can probably find all of these in Champions Online. Nothing impressive about it, re-hashed, recycled trash. And there's only so much praise you can give a game for its 'plants and rock models'.

Quote:
* Space looks beautiful.
Except there's nothing spacious about it. Yet again its another instanced hamster-cage with pretty space pictures around the edges and random baddies for you to pew pew.

Quote:
What game you playing?

Quote:
Don't worry about that, most of the people who enjoy a fun, challenging game have left already. So this can be your perfect soft-trek eutopia.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2010, 07:44 AM
DOH! Mordiaky beat me to it.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2010, 07:48 AM
LOl yeah but you hit some right on the nose better then I could
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordiaky View Post

Having your crewmen bash the one button console over and over while you slam on the spacebar over and over reflects the lore? Again watch the shows, LCARS has no spacebar!
That's a stupid reply really since Cryptic don't design keyboards.

All Worf or Data had to do fire phasers was press one button. So pressing space bar is not different.

What exactly did they do on the show but sit in their chairs and press buttons ? Do enlighten the masses.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc4175 View Post
That's a stupid reply really since Cryptic don't design keyboards.

All Worf or Data had to do fire phasers was press one button. So pressing space bar is not different.

What exactly did they do on the show but sit in their chairs and press buttons ? Do enlighten the masses.
Either way, it was a lot more fun watching them do it than playing Star Trek Online.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwig View Post
Either way, it was a lot more fun watching them do it than playing Star Trek Online.
Then don't play ST:O. It's not like there's a fun to your head.

Yep ground combat isn't the best in the world but it's just as repetive as any game really. What they to do is line of sight, croching behind cover and so on.

Space combat is more tactical as you level up.