Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc4175 View Post
That's a stupid reply really since Cryptic don't design keyboards.

All Worf or Data had to do fire phasers was press one button. So pressing space bar is not different.


What exactly did they do on the show but sit in their chairs and press buttons ? Do enlighten the masses.
In reality of the show, this is more how it is done so you can have a better understanding of it. first of all, they Never said FIRE ALL WEAPONS at Every encounter, because they are not trying to destroy every ship they see, they do in most cases try to disable the ship with a few weapons, but if they did fire all weapons it would deplete their energy fast. so here would require tactics, what to fire, when to fire and how much to fire. this is why they have a team of member on board that would handle weapons, Worf in your case no he did not Just hit one button and kept slamming it on the LCARS over and over to get results. he had to find the weak points in a ship, make sure NOT to destroy it, there was a lot involved for a some one in Worfs posistion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-15-2010, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordiaky View Post
In reality of the show, this is more how it is done so you can have a better understanding of it. first of all, they Never said FIRE ALL WEAPONS at Every encounter, because they are not trying to destroy every ship they see, they do in most cases try to disable the ship with a few weapons, but if they did fire all weapons it would deplete their energy fast. so here would require tactics, what to fire, when to fire and how much to fire. this is why they have a team of member on board that would handle weapons, Worf in your case no he did not Just hit one button and kept slamming it on the LCARS over and over to get results. he had to find the weak points in a ship, make sure NOT to destroy it, there was a lot involved for a some one in Worfs posistion.
Who said anything about firing all weapons ?

In the context of the show space combat in TNG was rarely pulse punding.

Picard tells Worf to "Fire Phasers" and Worf presses a button which suprisingly made the phasers fire(shocking).

If I fire all my phasers in ST:O then my power levels drop quite rapidly even in a T5 science ship. So I have manage my power levels.

The crew didn't need to do anything but press buttons on the shows since the computer did the rest.

How exactly would chance space combat ? Technically you don't have to press spacebar as you use the fire phaser button but being games we typically use the most acessible method available(ie spacebar).

So space combat isn't all the different from the various shows.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-15-2010, 07:40 AM
I find it funny that whenever someone posts criticism of the game and people refute the points, the same old posters will just scream "FANBOI LULZ!", but then when someone who actually enjoys the game posts reasons as to why they like it, you go and do the same thing as the fanboys.

Mind you, I don't really care who's on what side, (and I disagree mostly with the OP) but I just find radicals amusing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhysling
This game gets better with every patch!

STO is the best Scifi mmo out there.
What? I'm all in favor of the game getting better but it's not reasonable to overstate it.

have you played any other SCiFi based MMOs?

Star wars galaxies did Space so much better than STO that they don't deserve to be mentioned together. You could stand or sit with your buddy anywhere in the world on the deck of a ship and interact real time. Dog fights felt like Dogfights. You could roll, spin and manuever as if there was no Gravity. STO seems to have Gravity. It's almost like a FPS in space. It is awesome, to bad the ground game kind of sucks. I like ground combat in STO even less so /shrug ( SWG is the only other MMO to shift melee combat to an over the shoulder view. They quickly made it optional as it was so very unpopular. )

Tabula Rasa, which has closed had better Ground combat.

Eve Online has an amazing grasp of space combat. It's more fleet battle oriented but it's very very solid if you want a Space based SciFI PVP oriented game. It's got plenty of content and detail.

Anarchy online is an old but solid Scifi based MMO. It's graphics are dated but it's still a solid MMO and broke ground.

I'm not sure if I should but include them but the City of X games could be considered SciFi and they are solid game experiences. The content is redundant but it's fun. Champions while it is relatively new and having issus of it's own, it is a better game imho.

STO has a ton of potential if it survives. Life as a Klingon sucks. Ground combat is frustrating. Why make movemnt change because someone is targeted? Where did that come from? Who said to themselves I think it would be fun if my movement keys change when I have something targeted? I've made it clear I don't think gravity has any place in open space. I can not bring myself to say any Scifi game is the best Scifi game there is when it ignors the very laws of space and physics not because they expand the story but because it was easier. Crptic has some very talented people and I have hope they will fix the issues that can be fixed. I don't expect the 3dimensions if space to be honored any time soon. I am not sure if melee combat will improve. I truly hope more content is released and stability is aquired.

I have hope for the game but it bothers me that anyone would go so far as to call it the best of any kind of game but surely not the best scifi MMO. It does't even feel like an MMO most of the time. Most content happens in 5 to 10 people instances. That's not all that Massive.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Your Trek maybe, definitely not mine. To add the number 47 everywhere on a dumb shoot them up is not enough.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
Your Trek maybe, definitely not mine. To add the number 47 everywhere on a dumb shoot them up is not enough.
Off topic, but the video in your sig made my day. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-15-2010, 08:02 AM
I don't see the game getting better with every patch. Actually after the last two patches the game has took a turn toward the down side. I was playing yesterday and I kept getting the server not responding messages. Then the mines from my BOs weren't going off when they were being walked on. I sent two tickets in, but from past experience any ticket I have put in hasn't been resolved.

Cryptic did not make this game to disable an enemy they made it to destroy. So there should be a function to fire all weapons then. Or change the game around to only hit sensitive areas and then tak prisoners.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyluryn
What? I'm all in favor of the game getting better but it's not reasonable to overstate it.

have you played any other SCiFi based MMOs?

Star wars galaxies did Space so much better than STO that they don't deserve to be mentioned together. You could stand or sit with your buddy anywhere in the world on the deck of a ship and interact real time. Dog fights felt like Dogfights. You could roll, spin and manuever as if there was no Gravity. STO seems to have Gravity. It's almost like a FPS in space. It is awesome, to bad the ground game kind of sucks. I like ground combat in STO even less so /shrug ( SWG is the only other MMO to shift melee combat to an over the shoulder view. They quickly made it optional as it was so very unpopular. )

Tabula Rasa, which has closed had better Ground combat.

Eve Online has an amazing grasp of space combat. It's more fleet battle oriented but it's very very solid if you want a Space based SciFI PVP oriented game. It's got plenty of content and detail.

Anarchy online is an old but solid Scifi based MMO. It's graphics are dated but it's still a solid MMO and broke ground.

I'm not sure if I should but include them but the City of X games could be considered SciFi and they are solid game experiences. The content is redundant but it's fun. Champions while it is relatively new and having issus of it's own, it is a better game imho.

STO has a ton of potential if it survives. Life as a Klingon sucks. Ground combat is frustrating. Why make movemnt change because someone is targeted? Where did that come from? Who said to themselves I think it would be fun if my movement keys change when I have something targeted? I've made it clear I don't think gravity has any place in open space. I can not bring myself to say any Scifi game is the best Scifi game there is when it ignors the very laws of space and physics not because they expand the story but because it was easier. Crptic has some very talented people and I have hope they will fix the issues that can be fixed. I don't expect the 3dimensions if space to be honored any time soon. I am not sure if melee combat will improve. I truly hope more content is released and stability is aquired.

I have hope for the game but it bothers me that anyone would go so far as to call it the best of any kind of game but surely not the best scifi MMO. It does't even feel like an MMO most of the time. Most content happens in 5 to 10 people instances. That's not all that Massive.
SWG died with the NGE. It had great small ship combat but STO is about huge ships with hundreds of people. Not one man fighters. Currently SWG is not worth playing.

Tabula Rasa was garbage from the start. Hence why it doens't run anymore.

Eve Online is a pretty game with 0 content. It has huge, vast isntances with nothing in them. No ground combat (though the devs have promised it for 4 years now without delivering) It's space combat is auto fire and orbit. But hey you can mine....

Anarchy Online was awesome for its day. Its day is over.

STO is currently the best Scifi mmo out there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitaku View Post
I find it funny that whenever someone posts criticism of the game and people refute the points, the same old posters will just scream "FANBOI LULZ!", but then when someone who actually enjoys the game posts reasons as to why they like it, you go and do the same thing as the fanboys.

Mind you, I don't really care who's on what side, (and I disagree mostly with the OP) but I just find radicals amusing.
I'm a critic but I readily admit that there is certainly fun to be had. I like Checkers as well as Chess and both games could be improved. Like 3D Chess is pretty darn crazy. I dearly hope enough people like the game or can tolerate it as it is for the game to survive. It's not possible to argue that there are not issues. I voice my complaints because I don't think I'm in the minority. If no one says what they dislike and everyone leaves then what happens to the game? It is also very important for people to say what they like because the Nerf callers and going to target everything that works and is fun untli they can win by will alone. It happens in all games. If you don't voice and defend the pieces of game you do like then it's very possible the things you like will be lost in the swarm of things other people don't like.

Communication is sometimes a hard road to walk. I've been saying what I don't like because I don't want to play the game alone. Some things like the lack of 3D movement in space are just so insane I'm honestly speachless. It's 2010 and someone released a game that doesn't have 360 degrees of movement in space? Holy COW!!! and they wonder why fans are upset?

If you like things in the game by all means voice your opinion. Screw anyone who gives you hate. You paid for your copy of the game and it's your right, perhaps your obligation to defend and explain what you like and don't like because change is coming. It has to.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-15-2010, 08:10 AM
I give the op the WORKS FOR CRYPTIC AWARD... given to someone that works for the company and hired to PR in the forums you win congrads!!!!!!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 AM.