Lt. Commander
# 1 Serious HD 5850 issues
02-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Ever since I started playing this game there has been some minor graphical issues with my card my first assumption since the card was recently released (November I think) that the game may have lack of support. the game keeps crashing every time there is an away team mission, which gets somewhat frustrating for that the majority of the missions I do involve an away mission. i have tried every everything to alleviate the problem, (driver reinstall, upgrading to the latest catalyst software suite and reinstalling the game). I was hoping that the February 12th patch would make it better, but it made everything worse! The game visual quality is severely suffering, game crashes more frequently and now get this semi transparent grid every time I play the game. I know my card is not defective because it performs in other games most admirably. Now could somebody tell me what is causing these problems, is it the game itself or the lack of support for this card. or crappy drivers, or is there anything you can think of?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 11:47 PM
bump, seeing this one a lot with other 5000 series users. Even the 5870 is getting this.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 11:54 PM
but the one thing is the visual quality proceeded to get worse after the feb 12th patch
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Turn off dynamic lighting, this affects pretty much all ati cards. That's for the crashing on ground.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-15-2010, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintri View Post
Turn off dynamic lighting, this affects pretty much all ati cards. That's for the crashing on ground.
I too have a 5870. I also personally like ATI cards and I don't know why, it bothers me but I can't pull myself from them. With that being said, I want my Dynamic Lighting. I thought the hotfix from ATI would work, it didn't. I then thought the hotfix in conjunction with the weekend patch would ultimately take care of it, it didn't. Please developers, talk to ATI and fix this problem, there are people out there who want max graphics like me and failmaster. (SP)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2010, 09:58 AM
I am running the 5850 and there are threads about video problems on sites worldwide now. I have spent 2 days trying to get this fixed. I have stripped my machine and ran diagnostics on all the parts, originally thinking perhaps I had a failing piece of hardware. My machine along with thousands of other people's, not only have video glitches and crashes. Our machines are not just crashing to the desktop, they are turning completely OFF. Yes the game causes our machines to turn completely off. And can only be restarted by resetting the power supply and reloading windows. Thru much searching I found several post that agreed starting the game in "safe mode" will at least allow us back into the game. But with horrible graphic consequences. The game now looks like something from the 90's.

To get to "safe mode", at the top of your launcher is "OPTIONS". A box will open with one of the choices being "safe mode". This turns all the graphics options down and the game will start for the majority of people. This is NOT a ATI driver issue. I, along with many thousands of other people worldwide have tried rolling back (uninstalling and using a driver cleaner to be able to cleanly install older versions of ati drivers) to older versions of the ATI drivers. Although the 9.12 versions seems to work best with game. Be sure your Directx is up to date. They have posted a new FEB Directx. If you have Realtek audio get the new FEB driver release as well. And everyone should turn off Dynamic lighting as its causing problems for almost everyone, even if they don't know it. To access that feature, hit the escape key in game and select the video tab. At the bottom of the tab is has a box to select "show advanced options". About 3 lines down is the choice to turn off dynamic lighting.

Since I have purchased a year subscription I really need this problem to be addressed by Cryptic and corrected. I am a disabled network engineer who has 39 years in the computer industry. I am dying from emphysema and this is pretty much all I can do. I am on SS disability and it literally took every dime I had saved to buy this game and the year sub. I realize many will say that is pathetic, but till you are in my shoes, do not be so quick to judge. I have waited 44 years for a game like this to come out. STO has great possibilities and I am truly hoping Cryptic will follow thru and fulfill them. I am eagerly awaiting a patch to repair this problem so I can play the game normally.

Thank you for your time and effort in a great game, but please fix the graphic issue.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
I've got the same card and play with everything maxed expect for dynamic lighting which I turned off to stop the ground mission crashing I was experiancing. Since doing that all has been fine.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Until there is a permanent fix, you can try the last 2 options in the graphics setting's Troubleshooting tab.

The PerFrameSleep and/or the MaxFPS settings may just do the trick... at least it's worth a try.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2010, 05:47 PM
you know what your problem is it's your mother board and processor its not the card plus you probably havent gotten the update for the video card so i would recommend that you look at your processor and get the updates for the card and quit your complaining because the card problems is your fault you should read the owners manual on what type of video card your motherboard can handle and plus your all stupid i am running a hd 4350 with an amd athlon 2 x2 240 which is a 2.8ghz and i have no problems
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by admldep0282 View Post
you know what your problem is it's your mother board and processor its not the card plus you probably havent gotten the update for the video card so i would recommend that you look at your processor and get the updates for the card and quit your complaining because the card problems is your fault you should read the owners manual on what type of video card your motherboard can handle and plus your all stupid i am running a hd 4350 with an amd athlon 2 x2 240 which is a 2.8ghz and i have no problems
Hmm stupid eh? Well let me tell you something brainiac. I have 39 years in computers and 3 degrees. Been a MS dev since 95. Owned a ISP for 8 yrs and I've built over 5000 systems including one for NASA . And I'm a certified retired/disabled network engineer. I DID put in a different video card and it made NO DIFFERENCE. I tried a different motherboard, CPU, ram and PSU. NO DIFFERENCE. It is a coding error. I have degrees in COBOL, FORTRAN, PASCAL and Basic. How about you? What you fail to understand is that this does not affect everyone. Even on identical equipment. If you had ever built any systems you would know that.

I am not stupid, I just do not understand why Cryptic is having such a hard time coding. I've beta tested over 50 online games since 1995. And while this is far from the worst, it is the first to turn off my computer.
As a whole, I enjoy this game a great deal. I am just asking them to expediate the correction on coding errors we are suffering.

So I would watch your choice of words. You may find yourself shoving your foot in your mouth. Most of the people here are not "stupid". In fact most probably work in the tech industry which has a great deal to do with why they play this game in the first place. Cryptic has ADMITTED they have a coding problem with dynamic lighting calls and pixel shading. Both of which are Directx 9 calls, which is why they shut down peoples computers and cause texture malfunctions.

My advice to you, go to bed, your mom is calling.