Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
I've been looking at varying weapon stats and I'm trying to figure out what the differences between the types of weapons are.

I mean there are the simply stats like DPS and what type of attack (Expose/Exploit) the "Power Shot" is. However it seems like all of the weapons have roughly the same range.

The reason I ask is because I'm playing a tactical officer right now and I'm getting to the point where I need to decide on what kinda of weapon I want to specialize in.

Mostly my strategy has been a combination of an Cone AOE exploit and a Single Target/High damage exploit. I then give my 3 people on my Away team AOE expose weapons and then one crew man gets an exploit attack.

The big advantage I can see over pistols versus rifles and assaults is with pistols your group's don't look quite as heavily armed.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-14-2010, 10:15 PM
As far as I know, the only differences they have are in their secondary attacks and what melee attack you use.

For example, both rifles and assaults have Split-Beam. I've noticed that the Assault hits more enemies with a wider cone range than the rifle, but the rifle hits harder. Both rifles and pistols have single-target exploit attacks, with rifles doing more damage and pistols recharging faster.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Rifles do more damage than pistols and often than assault which is strange. Also rifles and assault will often have wider area of effect.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Pistols arent too useful compared to their bigger brothers from what I have seen.

Rifles - These are long range weapons with longer range secondary attacks to match. They have the highest raw damage against a single target and up to 3 targets with split beam.

Assualts - The power of assualt weapon is the fact they are meant to be ASSUALT weapons that have massive expose / exploit potential.
They have a larger cone and their special attack can affect up to 5 people depending on the attack you use.

I personally have outfitted my away team with ALL assualt weapons that expose the targets. I have two exploit attack weapons which basically allow me to drop enemies extremely quickly when my guys expose them.

Polaron: Disables the ranged weapons of the target
Phasers: Holds the target
Tetryon: Extra damage to shield

Thus:

1 Assualt polaron weapon has the chance to expose 5 enemies AND disable their weapons
1 Assualt Phaser weapon has the chance to expose 5 enemies AND hold them
1 Assualt Tetryon weapon has the chance to expose 5 enemies AND wreck their shields

Combine all 3 into your away team members and you can easily drop entire armies of enemies in ground missions making them go by rather quickly.
Even Borg drones / Undine drop fairly quickly to expose attacks and when you have 4 guys hitting them with expose weaponary in tight corridors it just makes for epic vaporisation fun.

Rifles just do not compare to this because arcwave / pulse weapons suck unless your specifically in a corridor where your targets convieniently line up behind each other.
Auto - Assualt is ideal for open maps and closed but there might be some advantage to the Energy blast.

They have the additional chance to knock back and can affect more enemies but personnally I just prefer going with the spray + snipe option.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Split beam > all

Does the same damage as a sniper but does it to upto 4 different targets at a time.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Another difference is the range of the secondary attack. Rifles have the longest range at about 30m. Assault comes next at around 22m with pistols being too close for comfort at 16m.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-15-2010, 12:51 AM
I look cooler shooting two pistols.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-15-2010, 12:57 AM
I think dual pistols is the best....has the widest cone AoE I think, kinda hard to judge, but it seems to hit a wider arc, which makes sense as the range is much less. Mostly, dual pistols is awesome because it looks cooler.

The only problem with it, is that when I use the AoE, the shots seem to come out of my crotch...or maybe belly button, the certainly don't come out of the pistols.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-15-2010, 01:09 AM
You can check all the specific numbers on the weapons and their primary/secondary fire modes by right-clicking and checking Info.

And yes, dual pistols does make you look cooler, so that's a double ++ in its favor. I have a tactical captain who will ONLY be using dual pistols for the cool factor. He also run-dives all the time.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Pistols arent too useful compared to their bigger brothers from what I have seen.

Rifles - These are long range weapons with longer range secondary attacks to match. They have the highest raw damage against a single target and up to 3 targets with split beam.

Assualts - The power of assualt weapon is the fact they are meant to be ASSUALT weapons that have massive expose / exploit potential.
They have a larger cone and their special attack can affect up to 5 people depending on the attack you use.

I personally have outfitted my away team with ALL assualt weapons that expose the targets. I have two exploit attack weapons which basically allow me to drop enemies extremely quickly when my guys expose them.

Polaron: Disables the ranged weapons of the target
Phasers: Holds the target
Tetryon: Extra damage to shield

Thus:

1 Assualt polaron weapon has the chance to expose 5 enemies AND disable their weapons
1 Assualt Phaser weapon has the chance to expose 5 enemies AND hold them
1 Assualt Tetryon weapon has the chance to expose 5 enemies AND wreck their shields

Combine all 3 into your away team members and you can easily drop entire armies of enemies in ground missions making them go by rather quickly.
Even Borg drones / Undine drop fairly quickly to expose attacks and when you have 4 guys hitting them with expose weaponary in tight corridors it just makes for epic vaporisation fun.

Rifles just do not compare to this because arcwave / pulse weapons suck unless your specifically in a corridor where your targets convieniently line up behind each other.
Auto - Assualt is ideal for open maps and closed but there might be some advantage to the Energy blast.

They have the additional chance to knock back and can affect more enemies but personnally I just prefer going with the spray + snipe option.
Where the heck did you find Tetryon Assault weapons for sale? Have been looking around the various stations with wepons for sale, and found nothing...Or are they PvP/Exploration badge items?

So far in-game, I've found sniper rifles (with their burst-damage Sniper Shot) to be pretty good - and I know where to get Assault version of phasers - polaron and tetryon are beyond me at the moment, as I don't know where to get them, and so far have only had ONE tetryon weapon drop (a Arcwave Assault).