Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
02-15-2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersixnine View Post
You can rattle your sabre as much as you like but if the product is rotten at its core then no amount of fanboy support for new players will disguise the fact.
That's pure hyperbole and I'm sorry, I just don't get why people are so angry and disappointed.

Is it because it's Trek?
Is it because there's nothing else new around at the moment on the MMO scene?
Is it because the game is genuinely as bad as they say it is?

I'm all for people getting refunds or whatever if they feel they've been cheated in some way but for me at least, STO has been a great experience so far - do I have issues with it? Sure - but nothing that's gotten me remotely angry at Cryptic or the game.

In the two weeks that STO has been out the server stability has improved immensely, I get next to no lag, the only bugs I've encountered aren't showstoppers and I haven't seen the queue for days now. I'll admit that I have a kick-ass PC and a 20Mb connection - maybe that helps - I dunno.

I'm not worried about the content yet as I've still got lots to do before I hit Admiral and I haven't even started on Klingon yet (and may not until the 45 day patch drops as I've got a Fed Joined Trill to play too).

I'll say it again - if the state of STO is eliciting this kind of rage from people then quit - get a refund or whatever - life's too short to get angry at a game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
02-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YunoLegacy
Most MMOs have at least 3-4 years of actual development. Word is that STO had two.
STO had two years of development by Cryptic. CBS originally handed the license to another company who had it for 4 years and then went bankrupt. They did little work and CBS then turned it over to Atari/Cryptic to be completed. I am certainly not trying to make excuses for anyone about anything, but I would venture to guess that part of the deal from CBS was that it be released post haste.

I do however agree with everything the OP has posted thus far. Regardless of the situation what we have is what we have. All I can say is listen to John McClane...

"Now, you listen to me, ****-off, if you're not a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem. Quit being a part of the f-ing problem and put the other guy back on! "
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33 Have you seen my Corpse?
02-15-2010, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
At least Cryptic isn't dropping me into the middle of the ocean to drown to death and not able to retrive my corpse ala WOW
This reminds me so much of an experience I had in Everquest. I think it was summed up by the Electric Fun Factory by this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDkvy9sKuY

-Keppoch
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
02-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithomed
What a biased, pathetic thread. You, OP, and the rest of you that think like him/her are the reason our hobby has become the land of buggy, unfinished crap that MMOs are today. Since you accept a low-quality product you GET a low-quality product. Until you pull your collective heads out of your backsides and start voting with your wallet we will never improve the stat of MMOs.

The mental accrobatics you people will go to in order to justify the junk MMOs are today is astounding.
The truth hurts. This game is shallow garbage. Time to cancel.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
02-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keppoch
This reminds me so much of an experience I had in Everquest. I think it was summed up by the Electric Fun Factory by this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDkvy9sKuY

-Keppoch
Everquest really could get away with bad stuff.
I remember thier expansion that was on a moon.
Had a bunch of zones in it, but the zones where empty.
The content was "coming".
I quit.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
02-15-2010, 08:24 AM
I am a MMO noob. In fact, I don't really like video games in general.

With the exception that I CANNOT RESPEC.... grrrrrr

I am totally happy with the game, launch, and potential.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
02-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Btw, the OP has forgot another group of players:

The old fashioned players, maybe older than the average MMO player. Those people who have played a lot of singleplayer games and love Star Trek. They are new to MMOs. So they are naive enough to think that if they are charged the money for a full and finished game they get it, and they are naive enough to think that paying 15 bugs per month grants them monthly AddOns like you can buy in the store. They arent familiar with the "throw your money away" thinking because they've being teached that pricing has something to do with quality.



This is my group. I really thought i could expect a finished game if i pay the money i would have been charged for every other game in the store. This finished game would be expanded and therefore i pay the monthly fee.

But truth hit me hard when OB started and i was told all the way that i cannot expect an MMO that i bought for more than 30 be finished in any way. I do not understand this kind of thinking. In my oppinion it has something to do with the fact that people here in Europe and US have too much money, including kids.

I mean, you wouldnt go into the store and buy a book and they tell you: "Oh, we charge you the price of a normal book, but only half of the pages are written by now, the others are all white. If you want to read more than please buy the other pages later on."

I think the Retailers should be honest and say: "We have here STO, this is the ground version. It will be a very great game and we think you will have fun with it. But its not finished yet, so you pay 15 now and a monthly fee."
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 38
02-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisPrime View Post
That's pure hyperbole and I'm sorry, I just don't get why people are so angry and disappointed.

Is it because it's Trek?
Is it because there's nothing else new around at the moment on the MMO scene?
Is it because the game is genuinely as bad as they say it is?

I'm all for people getting refunds or whatever if they feel they've been cheated in some way but for me at least, STO has been a great experience so far - do I have issues with it? Sure - but nothing that's gotten me remotely angry at Cryptic or the game.

In the two weeks that STO has been out the server stability has improved immensely, I get next to no lag, the only bugs I've encountered aren't showstoppers and I haven't seen the queue for days now. I'll admit that I have a kick-ass PC and a 20Mb connection - maybe that helps - I dunno.

I'm not worried about the content yet as I've still got lots to do before I hit Admiral and I haven't even started on Klingon yet (and may not until the 45 day patch drops as I've got a Fed Joined Trill to play too).

I'll say it again - if the state of STO is eliciting this kind of rage from people then quit - get a refund or whatever - life's too short to get angry at a game.
THIS.

As a life-long Star Trek fan, I'm having a blast with the game. Sometimes it's frustrating (kill 5 more Orions, scan 5 more computers, rinse, repeat), but it's still fun. If you aren't having fun in any activity, then maybe you should stop doing it and do something else. Life is also too short to spend hours griping about a game on internet forums.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 39
02-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgall4 View Post
THIS.

As a life-long Star Trek fan, I'm having a blast with the game. Sometimes it's frustrating (kill 5 more Orions, scan 5 more computers, rinse, repeat), but it's still fun. If you aren't having fun in any activity, then maybe you should stop doing it and do something else. Life is also too short to spend hours griping about a game on internet forums.
It is. Crytic said last week or something that the engine that is generating that auto-content is only 25% open at the moment makes me feel better. They just wanted to make sure it was working before opening it up completetly. that filled me with more optimism.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 40
02-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
It is. Crytic said last week or something that the engine that is generating that auto-content is only 25% open at the moment makes me feel better. They just wanted to make sure it was working before opening it up completetly. that filled me with more optimism.
Interesting : they said that where ?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:09 AM.